PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Inboards Hydros

RTC
12-14-2004, 08:56 AM
This is a great website. For what little time I have had to view, it has been a major access. I would like to thank Ron for creating this site.

I have a question for the members of this site: How many of you owned or raced inboard hyros in the 50's and 60's

will350
12-14-2004, 10:38 AM
My brther owned a 136 I got to test some . Most "memorable " time on Lake washington when Ron Musson blew by me at twice my speed ( my speed 70+ , his speed 150 ) When I get a hosing now , I just laugh .
Will

RTC
12-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Will350,
What was Ron driving that day?

Jeff Lytle
12-16-2004, 02:12 PM
My brther owned a 136 I got to test some . Most "memorable " time on Lake washington when Ron Musson blew by me at twice my speed ( my speed 70+ , his speed 150 ) When I get a hosing now , I just laugh .
Will

That happened to me at a race in Littleton New Hamshire. I was looking to change classes (Divisions too??) and was looking for a 280. About that time, Robert Theoret's "Miss Virgo" Sooy was on the block. MY Dad and I were serious about it, and I asked Robert if I could take her for a spin.
As I was leaving the dock, Don Ryan's "Lauterbach Special" was being lowered into the water. I took a few laps and kept an eye open......Towards the end of the main straight, I knew she was coming up behind me, cause I could feel the vibrations through the hull. Tom D'Eath flew by to my right just as we hit the 1st pin.

Ever wonder what it's like to be inside a GP in a corner?? I WAS THERE!! Just a WALL of water from the skid fin.

I was doing 100 or so, he was probably doing at least 140-150 too.

A truely beautiful thing.

Tomtall
12-28-2004, 12:30 PM
I know many of the regulars on this web site know of the following web site,however, for those of you that havn't visited this site it has a lot of great history posted.I just felt it should go with this thread on the classics. http://www.vintagehydroplanes.com/ Enjoy!

vavintage
12-29-2004, 04:30 PM
Thanks Tomtall,
The guys at www.vintagehydroplanes.com have been speaking very highly of this website (www.boatracingfacts.com). A big thanks goes to Ron Hill.

Harlan
12-31-2004, 08:52 PM
This is a great website. For what little time I have had to view, it has been a major access. I would like to thank Ron for creating this site.

I have a question for the members of this site: How many of you owned or raced inboard hyros in the 50's and 60's

I started building race boats, flat bottom v-drive blown fuel flatbottom record holder in '58 and 33-S-K Golden Commode II in '58. In '62 I built a 19' 266 11-F Black Bart. In '63 Homewrecker 99-F Unblown Gas Drag record holder. The '71 Parker 9 hr inboard winner #411 19' bbc v-drive hydro. Its offspring won the inboard class at Parker in '80 135 mph 19' bbc v-drive hydro.
My last hydro ride was in F-3 "MISS MIAMI' in June '04 at Banks Lake WA.
I scheduled the restoration of a '90 Cole drag hydro, maybe a wood deck!!!, with a blown 392, and 4 bucket seats fun ride with friends.
I have plans for a 20' cabover 2 pass v-drive bbc-502 prop riding hydro, with open cockpit and full cowling over engine, So I can take you for a ride.
Harlan

Cameraboy
04-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Here are some links to some unlimited restorations/replicas being done outside of HARM's shop (where they are currently restoring Morlen Visel's Hurricane IV):

1962 Miss Bardahl
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~smith116/
A ton of pictures, descriptions of what they are doing, and boat history (including how it was found after disappearing for two decades).

1955 Miss Thriftway
http://missthriftway.com/
There are also pages on this site for the 1956 Miss Thriftway Too and 1955 Gale V restorations

The craftsmanship on these projects are amazing. The two replica Thriftways have been built from plans provided by Ron Jones.