PDA

View Full Version : Ralph DeSilva has a new book out

Tim Weber
06-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Ralph has been working on a book for the past three years.

It is now available on Amazon. It is $29.95. The title is Now & Then.

It is full of pictures and stories going back to the early 30's to today's racing.

Bonus! If you want to meet Ralph and get a signed copy, he'll be at the APBA nationals in Kingston TN. July 1-4.

To find him, look for my trailer, boats E-8 " For Wes Jones " and 42-F.

The only time he won't be available is when the antiques are racing.

Tim

Bill Van Steenwyk
06-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Well, Eileen and the two boys (our cats) were looking for something for me for Fathers Day, and I can't think of anything better. It is now on order at Amazon. Wish I could get it signed, but will be at another race.

BTW Tim, does Ralph know that Butch Leavendusky passed away last December. Butch did a lot of testing of both Hydro's and Runabouts, MOD and PRO for Ralph and Bill in the 70's and early 80's. If not would you tell him for me please. Also his Dad, Stan Sr. was a long time friend of both of them. Don't think they both ever drove anything other than a DeSilva in the 30+ years they both raced other than a Krier copy of a Butts Hydro built for Butch in the 70's.

Tim Weber
06-14-2015, 01:05 PM
Bill,

Yes, Ralph knows about Butch. He was way too young.

At Kingston this year I'll be powered by a Stanley built C-Service motor.

Tim

Bill Van Steenwyk
06-14-2015, 01:59 PM
Bill,

Yes, Ralph knows about Butch. He was way too young.

At Kingston this year I'll be powered by a Stanley built C-Service motor.

Tim

Tim:

Yes, Butch was 71. I know Ralph does not do computers, or did not several years ago, and just wanted to be sure based on their long term friendship.

You have a good motor if it was built by Stan Sr. Hope you got some of his props also.

Tim Weber
06-17-2015, 04:41 PM
I just found out that Amazon has the title listed backwards.

Just search under Boat Racing, Ralph DeSilva and it will pop up.

Tim

FrenchPhil
06-18-2015, 01:59 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Then-Now-Ralph-DeSilva/dp/0989617211

Tim Weber
06-23-2015, 12:38 PM
I just found out that Ralph's book has made the best seller list on Amazon in the sports category.

Tim

John Schubert T*A*R*T
06-24-2015, 05:44 AM
I just found out that Ralph's book has made the best seller list on Amazon in the sports category.

Tim
So much activity they are on back order. I can't wait for mine.

racingfan1
06-24-2015, 05:57 AM
Just placed my order this morning and the estimated shipping date is July 9 - July 20th. Looking forward to reading it.

racingfan1
07-04-2015, 04:52 AM
It has come earlier than expected. Originally supposed to ship July 9th but received it yesterday.

Tim , do you know if Ralph is making the trip to DePue , I'd love to get it signed by him.

Master Oil Racing Team
07-05-2015, 07:47 PM
I don't know about DePue, but Ralph is supposed to have a bunch to sign at Kingston. I will get mine soon and will send them to Ralph post paid to autograph and send them back. This book is a very cherished thing to have. It's not just a book about a boat racer that has seen a lot of history over decades of growth, but one who helped make that history.

Tim Weber
07-06-2015, 05:21 AM
Ralph is not making the trip.

He loves the antique racing. With the current political situation, Depue just doesn't draw antique entries. It's a shame about Depue because it is like going to visit your grandma.

Tim

F-12
07-06-2015, 09:34 AM
Got my copy of Ralph's book.............AND got to spend some quality time with 2 legends of our sport..........Ralph DeSilva and Melvin Cooper. It was great!

Master Oil Racing Team
07-07-2015, 06:15 PM
I got mine today, and have been going through it. Great so far. Couple of things not quite right, but Ralph said he was going by his memory, and said a few things might be off, but he figured it would mostly be accurate. Who among us can disagree with that? And from what I have seen, he is right. Ralph DeSilva has done a great thing telling his stories, and boat racers would be wise to get a copy while they can.

DeanFHobart
07-08-2015, 07:47 AM
I have received mine also. I look forward to reading it.

Mike Crawford
07-08-2015, 09:31 AM
Order one today it will good to have and to say had a new boat from them a long time back

Gene East
07-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Mine was shipped today. I'm looking forward to receiving it!

Master Oil Racing Team
07-08-2015, 08:03 PM
You're gonna like it Gene.

Gene East
07-09-2015, 08:08 AM
I'm just sitting here re-reading Bernie Van Osdale's book. Just ran across a picture of all 3 DeSilva's. Ralph and Bill were very young then and of course I may be old, but I'm not old enough to remember John except through these "history books". Please tell me Ralph included pictures of his Dad as well!

Danny Pigott
07-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Ralph was at Kingston Tn for the Pro Nat's last week end . I bought his book and he signed it for me. We had a long talk about the past , I really enjoy talking to him. I still have a DeSilva lay down Hydro. There can't be many of these left.

Ron Hill
07-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Ralph said, "He wrote it from memory." He's got a pretty good memory!

Ron Hill
07-11-2015, 01:47 PM
$30

Ralph DeSilva
P.O.Box 1296
Hiram, GA 30132

racingfan1
07-12-2015, 06:37 AM
Who doesnt love the Great British Columbia Caper story. If it were to happen today my guess is one of the five might be Steve Litzell !!!

racingfan1
07-27-2015, 02:38 PM
On page 181 of Ralph's book , in the part written by John Hudson , in the first paragraph , there is mention of a side by side Konig motor. I can only assume that this the same motor that much discussion on another thread on BRF has occurred. Was there indeed only one of these motors built ??

Master Oil Racing Team
06-17-2016, 08:04 PM
Ralph's second book is out. Joe Rome and Steve Wetherbee both called to tell me. Surprised it wasn't already posted unless I missed it somewhere. Outboard racers must have this book, especially Pro, since Ralph was not only there to witness the history, he and his brother Bill and their Dad helped make it.

Gene East
06-18-2016, 05:54 AM
After receiving a call from Alan Ishii on Thursday saying the book was ready, I called Ralph to place my order. I'll be watching the mailbox very closely these next few days! Ralph and Bill were premier boat builders. I never knew their Dad, but it's obvious he taught them well!

Donald
10-27-2017, 06:47 AM
I had a nice visit with Ralph yesterday at his home in Hiram, Ga. He hasn't changed that much since I first met him in 1958 at the NOA championship in McAlester, Ok. We spent over an hour discussing old times and about his various moves to the different locations. Bill's widow and kids also live nearby. He is 95 now, and does look older, but he is active and cuts his grass on a riding mower, glad I don't have that job anymore. He still works in his shop behind his house, but now only builds furniture. He said he has a new runabout he built for the antique class if anyone is interested. It may be the last DeSilva boat. I was in Dallas to clear up the title on some real estate that I owned with Scott Smith and Ralph and Bill.

racnbns
10-28-2017, 11:46 AM
I had a nice visit with Ralph yesterday at his home in Hiram, Ga. He hasn't changed that much since I first met him in 1958 at the NOA championship in McAlester, Ok. We spent over an hour discussing old times and about his various moves to the different locations. Bill's widow and kids also live nearby. He is 95 now, and does look older, but he is active and cuts his grass on a riding mower, glad I don't have that job anymore. He still works in his shop behind his house, but now only builds furniture. He said he has a new runabout he built for the antique class if anyone is interested. It may be the last DeSilva boat. I was in Dallas to clear up the title on some real estate that I owned with Scott Smith and Ralph and Bill.

Hi Ralph--

I'm working on that looks older business. Seems to come naturally for me.

Bruce