PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Site: Vintage

Ron Hill
11-28-2015, 07:23 PM
http://www.vintagehydroplanes.com/boats/zip/zzzip.html

Beale Tilton
11-28-2015, 08:45 PM
There are many more OPC type now running in the Vintage class than listed here.
Early this month at the Classic Race Boat Association event in Tavares Florida I believe there were 18 outboards running, including three Switzer wings. Check the Classic Race Boat Site.
Old boats with old drivers having fun.

hitechredneck
11-29-2015, 06:25 AM
Old boats with younger drivers also.:D

Stuart
12-06-2015, 07:30 PM
Cool I took a nearly the same picture at San Diego in 87. Bellville hull ?8 Mercs. I think this pic cuts off the last 2. Great owner/driver and friend Jim Haunstein (sp)

ClayT
12-07-2015, 12:22 PM
I remember that boat. Marcel wanted me to build the trailer for it. I'd built several trailers for 145's, 280's, 5 liters... but this would have been too big a project so I declined.

Interesting how the smaller Belleville's worked so well but it just didn't scale.
Sandy Ray's 145 was unstoppable. I drove Hauenstein's 280 and it was quick. Randy Haas had a 5 liter built that promptly blew over at Bakersfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcOPV_Lp_TM

bradydo
12-19-2015, 07:54 PM
Wow, so cool to see that video. I worked for Marcel for about 6 months while we finished building that boat. 8 - 250hp stock merc powerheads connected by belt drive to a single shaft. The plan was to replace the "stock" powerheads with "racing" motors @ about 350HP each once the concept was proven. I think the main problem was engine management, water getting sucked into motors (intakes were very close to bilge). A motor would blow up and then pull all the others down with it. I think there were issues with the belt drives as well. All issues that probably could have been worked out. The money or interest or whatever ran out and that was the end of it. There was a lot of potential there (IMO).

Boateez
12-21-2017, 09:21 AM
that's cool