PDA

View Full Version : Phil Wagner

Gene East
12-13-2016, 04:58 AM
I received an e-mail last night from Paul Simison stating Phil Wagner has cancer and the end is very near. I have requested Phil's address from Paul and will post ASAP for those who wish to send cards of encouragement. Please pray for Phil and his family

John Schubert T*A*R*T
12-13-2016, 06:15 AM
I received an e-mail last night from Paul Simison stating Phil Wagner has Cancer and the end is very near. I have requested Phil's address from Paul and will post ASAP for those who wish to send cards of encouragement. Please pray for Phil and his family
Gene,

Some of us have known this for several years. As you know he & Karen with some family & Jerry Waldman's crew were at the reunion in Depue this past summer. He looked good & got around fairly well.
Please post contact information as you get it.

Gene East
12-13-2016, 08:27 AM
I had heard he was sick.
Unfortunately,I was unable to stay for the banquet this past DePue race. I missed seeing a lot of friends who were there.
Paul told me he talked to Phil Monday evening. He sounded good, "but you could hear the pain".
I'll let you know when Paul provides the information.
Our "band of brothers" gets smaller every year, but someone not there in "those days" can't begin to comprehend the wonderful memories we have!

Just heard from Paul. Phil's address is:

1170 Cherrystone Ct.
Naples, Fl 34102

Donald
12-13-2016, 02:30 PM
I had been seeing Phil And Karen about once a week when we had dinner together, but now I believe he only gets out to see a doctor.
I am sad knowing the pain he has to endure, but his spirits are good when I have seen him. I am sure he will be glad to receive greetings from his boat racing friends.
I recently sent him a picture I took of him at DePue and the picture that Litzell arranged of all the old runabout drivers. He was very grateful to have something from his last DePue.
The email address is philipkaren@msn.com.

Donald
12-14-2016, 08:38 AM
Phil's email address philipkaren@msn.com.

Ron Hill
12-14-2016, 09:58 PM
In 1964 the Stock Nationals were in Modesto, California. 350 miles north of our house. Tuesday, after the National, Ron and Gerry Hedlund show up at our house and Phil Wagner is with them. We have dinner in my parent's patio and talk boat racing for hours. My dad had at two car garage, with a six car garage added to the back. Great place to build boats and work on motors.

We got to talking and found out Phil was in med school. When they left. My dad and I said, "We never knew anyone who went to med school."

The funny part of this, when they got to Las Vegas, Phil start gambling. Security asked his for his ID as he looked about 18. Security didn't "BUY" his ID and hauled him into their office. Ron and Jerry had to go in and "VOUCH" that yes, this is Phil Wagner, he drives one of our race boats. Yes, we are from Willette, Illinois. Yes, he goes to med school.

Jerry Waldman, was married to to "HILL", no know relationship but after the 1956 Nationals, Jerry and our family were always "Family". Jerry had Dr. Phil Wagner travel to the races with him as "INSURANCE". No one ever expected Jerry to die the way he did.

I'm sure Phil never blamed himself, but losing a friend like Jerry Waldman had to truly hurt.

Hoping your health improves, Phil.

Ron Hill
12-15-2016, 05:20 PM
Is the guy pulling the string, Dr. Phil Wagner? Who are these guys?

John Schubert T*A*R*T
12-15-2016, 06:13 PM
Is the guy pulling the string, Dr. Phil Wagner? Who are these guys?
The guy on the far left is Dick Hoppenrath affectionately called Hoppy. I believe the guy roping is Phil Wagner's brother. The other lifter was a part of the Waldman/Simison's crew that was at this year's reunion. And of course the guy in the boat is Jerry Simison

Gene East
12-16-2016, 05:11 AM
I think the guy lifting on right side of boat is Carl or Carrol, but I can't think of his last name, maybe Swenson????

John Schubert T*A*R*T
12-16-2016, 06:38 AM
I think the guy lifting on right side of boat is Carl or Carrol, but I can't think of his last name, maybe Swenson????
Good catch Gene popped my memory cells. Carol Swenson

Master Oil Racing Team
12-16-2016, 07:37 PM
Yeah, you guys got good memories. That was one of the first pictures I had printed for my scrapbook in 1973. I took that at Alex and Ron must have scooped it from one of my posts or is one I sent to Ron that was among the first color prints I made. Seems to me I sent him the original. That's why the color has faded. Forty three years ago.

I will post some other pictures of Phil and friends soon, and send some from a special week we spent with him and his wife and friends in the keys in 1974.

Ron Hill
06-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Gerry Hedlund called me this morning, Phil was always a great guy, boat race supporter and fun to be with. My condolences to his wife Karen.

Master Oil Racing Team
06-12-2017, 07:33 PM
Joe Rome had called me earlier in the day to tell me abouts Phil's passing. We knew it was coming, but still a very sad time. The last time I saw him was at Ralph Donald's Old Phart's Reunion. It was a great time. Got to talk to Jerry Simison there for the last time too. Phil reminded me at the time that I was almost his brother-in-law. We spent a lot of good times together. At first with him and Jerry Waldman and crowd, then later with Ralph Donald. Phil lived in North Dakota before he retired and moved to Florida. Where is any boat racing in North Dakota? There was a movie about Fargo North Dakota where Phil lived, but I never watched it. I figured the only person I want to remember for Fargo is Phil. (although I still have fond memories of his first wife from Fargo....Joanie).