Pete DeLackner
Billy Hutchins
Leo Laibach
Kenny Rosado
Louis Wheel

Here's the clipping...

modracer7b
12-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Kenny Rosado retiring this year as 2004 FEH National Champion. 1964 Modesto CSH National win was his first National Win. - Bill Rosado

jon66w
12-09-2004, 02:20 PM
I am attaching a writeup I compiled on Hydroracer's forum on what went wrong with stock as it contains a history of the 20 H progression and the battles with the Hot Rod, both legal and on the race course. I am also attaching the picture taken by Charlie Strang of my victory in BU which he said was 1st in the nation with converted 20 H. I also am sending the newspaper clipping which is in poor shape but hopefully you will be able to see some familiar names such as Waldman, Herring who also beat the Hot Rods that day with a converted 20- H in BH, Bill Luetner who raced DU forever, and Keith Stippich.
Jon Walters

jon66w
12-09-2004, 02:28 PM
On Previous post, Neosha 3 attachment is to small to read. I'm a lousy typer and would take me all day to type over so open attachment and hit print preview and enlarge to 100 % and you'll be able to read some interesting history. Thanks, jon Walters

Ron Hill
12-11-2004, 06:03 PM
This is Beloit, 1970. That is Stan Armstrong in 91-B in second. My dad and I built this boat for a guy in Needles. I traded it for a couch. Then, borrowed it back and won the DU Nationals with it...

Built a Cu at the same time and sold it to Doc Andrews...Darrell Sorenson has it now and runs the boat in Marathons...35 year old boat!!!

17W
04-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Mitch Meyer
Doug Reed
Ron Waterson

As a kid I watched these guys battling in week after week.

Tim Weber
04-02-2005, 07:51 AM
Hey Ron,

Great pick of the Bounty Hunter! I was 7 years old and I remember the race real well. I watched it near the judges stand and you were flying. I remember it was rougher than &^#!. You didn't have a lot of trouble with the conditions. In fact, it was the first time I ever saw you race.

My grandpa, Bill Leutner for those who didn't know, had the very first Stippich quack there. He didn't make the finals that year. I don't remember why exactly but I think his mag went bad. This is the boat that he sold to Jon Walters 66-W. Jon has the plans for this boat. He got them from Carl's daughter Carol and he plans on building a copy of the boat.

Also, one of the best ever races was the CU final. Henry Menzies 12-W, beat Dick Remmel. They were side by side for 6 laps and Henry just outdrove him in the end. For those who never saw Henry drive, he was fantastic.

Andy Hansen won ASR, Brian Burger ASH but thats all I can remember for sure.

Who won BSR? I know that Hedlund's, Stover and Clahk Malloof were there.

It was also the first time I had ever seen 36 run. I know Ron liked 36 but it was the saddest race. Most of the boats were old for 1970 with a lot of them from the late 50's. Those old Chrysler motors sounded like billy goats. I think the good ones ran about 55mph.

Tim

Peter Crowley
04-04-2005, 04:25 AM
Ron is that non other that Stan Armstrong "The All-American Boy" behind you? New England had some good DU boats at one time.......

champhotrod
04-04-2005, 03:47 PM
For Tim Weber:
Gerry Hedlund won BSR at Beloit and I think Clark ended up second. It was not a clean start and it was hard to tell who was running out front. Vic Brinkman was defending champ from 1969. Stover Hire also ran D at Beloit.

Cooper

Ron Hill
04-04-2005, 07:37 PM
Hey, did you ever put your Beloit, 1970 video on a DVD???

I still have the video, but don't know where....we moved and stuff is still boxed...

You got Andy Hansen's e-mail or phone number???

Stover ran a DU, that looked a lot like your "Kid Craft" AU's, if I recall, dark brown, natural wood...

Peter,

New England, like many areas had some good DU's...Stan was driving 91-B, a Sea Jay..

Where did DU go wrong??? If you look back we made the boats lighter, the engines more powerful, sppeds went up, danger increased...

Mickey Schwarzenbach ran CU and 36 for years...and DU on a 13 foot Hill, boat, that he still has, but trying to stay with the "FAST GUYS", Mickey ran his 12 foot CU with a D. He says his neck still hurts from his flip at Indio....18 years ago....that was his last race....

Leaving Beloit, with my DU on TOP my wagon...heading for Waukegan to pick up my twin engine Jones....I thought I'd never race Stocks again.....Retired until 1974....

champhotrod
04-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Ron,
The VHS tape has not been converted yet. I do not have the equipment myself and have too many projects going right know to deal with. I will dig out Hansen's contact info and send to you.

Cooper

smittythewelder
04-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Terry Feroe . . . . . . Sid-Craft
Lee Sutter . . . . . . . Foti
Tom Scheidt,
Earl Garrison . . . . . .Price-Craft

Ron Hill
04-20-2005, 01:41 PM
I knew Sutter ran a Foti...but forgot...Who built them?

When Lee lived in SoCal, I'm pretty sure he built his on boat....as I recall, I didn't like the way he bracked his tanson...(No support behind the combings...), but the transom held perfectly... (I watched it after every race)...

Did Sutter ever run a Calkin's BU?? Was there a guy named Larson who would have run a Calkins in 1959, at the Long Beach Divisionals??

Some good names there!!!!

smittythewelder
04-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Seattle-area barber Don Foti built a number of boats in the '60s. I heard the first one he built for Sutter handled pretty well. Then he built a second BU, 84R "Sutter's Gold", which was fast but tricky. Suds won lots of races and set stock and small alky records with it, so naturally other local guys ordered copies from Don, but few could handle the boat as well. Gene Laes is restoring Rick Sandstrom's boat. Later in the '60's, Foti and John Myers together built some very nice CU boats.

Code Blue Racing
08-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Do they still race the B runabouts ???

My father has a real nice one that was last raced in 1974 in his garage and two engines on the wall, I think they are 25SS deals ???

Thank you

Jim
928-234-5455
jrpm@npgcable.com

Mark75H
08-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Yes, BSR is still raced. Merc 25ss's are for a slightly different class: 25ssR; almost the same thing.

mercguy
08-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Do they still race the B runabouts ???

My father has a real nice one that was last raced in 1974 in his garage and two engines on the wall, I think they are 25SS deals ???

Thank you

Jim
928-234-5455
jrpm@npgcable.com

BSR's nowadays (a "roll up" only class) are powered by the Hot Rod "A" motors. The 25SSR class, which allows the "B" Hot Rod, Yamato 80, restricted 302, and the 25SS/25XS motors. The class has been dominated by the restricted Y302 in the past, but his year the 25XS was allowed to run unresticted and is very competitive. Dean Sutherland ran a "B" Hot Rod at this year's Stock Nat's and placed 2nd, so the class is very competitive with 3 different motors now.

the 25SS motor is now better suited for the 25mod hydro class, but was one this year by Ric Miller with his 22cube OMC motor.

one eight-w
08-27-2005, 06:13 AM
The 20H is currently legal A-mod.

aojesus
10-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Good afternoon,
Is there anyplace where my 20Hor 25SS are legal to race in Florida?
I am new to west central Florida and am trying to find a place to run my toys.
Thanks for your time,
Russ

mercguy
10-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Good afternoon,
Is there anyplace where my 20Hor 25SS are legal to race in Florida?
I am new to west central Florida and am trying to find a place to run my toys.
Thanks for your time,
Russ

the 20H is legal to race in Amod hydro and Amod runabout and the 25SS is legal to race in 25mod hydro, if you want to race competively. For other uses, you should get ahold of the local Antique Outboard Motor club in that area.......