PDA

View Full Version : Where The Action Is

Pages : [1] 2

Master Oil Racing Team
03-31-2005, 07:22 AM
Action shots of Lakeland, Fla 1993

Master Oil Racing Team
04-02-2005, 09:06 AM
PRO Nationals Hinton, West Virgina 1977.

We were on the way to Hinton when Elvis died.

There were a LOT of accidents at Hinton. Mel, Tom , and Jerry Kirts all were involved in accidents. Can't remember if Dan was. A couple of spectators in the pits figured this would cause some of the pit crews and drivers to go at it. In Mel Kirts' own words, this is what two spectators told him. "Goldarn it, we come down here to see some fightin' and you guys don't do nothin' but help each other out."

Master Oil Racing Team
04-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Valleyfield, Quebec Canada 1976

Jeff do you remember what happened to 94's helmet?

Jeff Lytle
04-04-2005, 10:43 AM
The only thing I can figure about the guy without the helmet is, in Valleyfield, when you win a heat, they make a really big deal about it. You are directed to an area after the race is over and you are recieved by the press, media, Queen----The works. I saw it happen a few times where the driver would leave that area and motor back to the pits afterwards without his helmet on........BUT there are some issues with that story.
-I do not remember a Canadian winning any heats at that race.
-I saw it done with boats in the Inboard division often, outboards, very seldom.
Even if if did happen for that reason-----What would be the odds of the driver having his own rope, and the engine starting in the water. There was no beach area where they did these presentations.

Other than that, there is a face I have not seen in a long time in those pics.
Boat #53--Wendel Compo, a beef farmer from Lisbon N.Y. That was the last time I saw him race--I heard he died some years later.

It's pretty easy to pick out the Canadian (Registered) drivers in the Alky Division, as we didn't have to have a State number like the American drivers do. Prefix numbers were there if yiu wanted to use them, but most did not.

Guy
04-04-2005, 12:44 PM
PRO Nationals Hinton, West Virgina 1977.

We were on the way to Hinton when Elvis died.

When ever I hear or read about Elvis's death, I automatically think of the 77' Hinton PRO Nationals. I can still remember the odd feelings one would get as your walking through the pits that day, people just weren't behaving the same (not much laughing, joking or small talk).

I remember it was the same kind of environement at an Ocoee race (in the late 70's), when everyone found out that Walt Blankenstein (a true Konig Guru) had died. We knew something was wrong when we saw Cindy Hosler running past our motorhome sobbing.

Isn't it odd how most people will remember what/where their exact locations were in their life when they had heard really bad news, but we rarely do the same for when we had heard really good news...

Guy Conklin

David Weaver
04-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Here is some of what I remember about that race when I was 11 years old:

1) My dad and Pop were the race directors (following their same responsibitly the year before with the stock nationals and 800+ entries).

2) Charlotte Queen was the referee and would not let me be the flag person, as she felt I was too young. Nobody argued with her and I worked at inspection for four days, sitting in a truck with a CB radio right across from the judges stand across the lake.

3)The Oak Ridge boys playing Fire on the Mountain during a big fireworks display.

4) Tom Kirts blowing over his brand new runabout and leaving it (or much of it) on the far shore.

5) Skip Birbare (SP?) losing his lower unit at the start of AOH and going out of control. Malcolm Hardin flipped in order to avoid hitting Skip. Mal missed the first heat re-start (referee's call), but won the second heat handily. Next day Mal destroyed his 500 boat trying to chase down the field after an off start. Nice barn fire later.

6) Dave Augustine, jr. falls out of his V-bottm tow boat while it is running. The real rescue boat rams the V-bottom in order to save David. My dad announces over the P.A. "Sink that *%&#^*$ boat now!!". Later the SEC fines him......just kidding.

7) My mom bites into a sandwhich on the scoring stand that unfortunately contained a yellow jacket. The pain made her forget how bad she had to pee (she was not found of the outhouse).

8) The Yamato team, turns out they were really nice guys, not the evil enemy portrayed in all the war movies. Also, the first time I saw a Yamato 80 (Pugh's had one).

9) A bad pile-up in 1100 hydro before the start, but the heat continues. Mel Kirts comes in to inspection with his arm bleeding. What a stud!

10) First year that they paved the pit area with black top. Man did it get hot during the day.

That's enough I am sure.

Peter Crowley
04-05-2005, 04:23 AM
Is the J-1 boat George Andrews?

Master Oil Racing Team
04-05-2005, 07:12 AM
Yes Peter, that's George Andrews.

David, You were right about a lot of crashes at Hinton. The editor of Powerboat titled the story I wrote "PRO CRASH BASH". However, it was 700 hydro in which Mel had his accident.

The river had a bend in it where drivers starting on the outside were wide when heading for the first turn. Unfortunatley, the course was not quite parallel to the river, and there was a slight dogleg around the starting line if you went too wide while looking at the clock. This resulted in a compression of boats at the starting line and being funneled into the first turn. Lots of riding up roostertails. It was too spooky for me outside so I started inside. I won the first heat,beating John Yale by 10 seconds, and had the fastest heat of the nationals.

The second heat, Mel decided there was too much water for him so he started on the inside just to the right of me. There was much more water the second heat with all boats together. I think there may have been a gun jumper or two, because we hit the turn going much slower and there were a few boats to the right ahead of me. It was about as much water as I've ever encountered so once I cleared the first pin, I went into the infield. We were going so slow (relatively of course), that I was able to jog to the right and go around the next pin, then go back into the infield. I figured once we exited the final bouy I had enough acceleration to beat everybody to turn three. I just had to keep from being swamped by all the spray.

Just then I saw a hole and punched it. Mel saw the same hole, but didn't see me. I got there first, but he came from behind a rostertail and ran up under my hydro. Something on my boat either punctured his arm or sliced it. I can't remember. But anyway my right sponson was on his deck pinning his throttle arm against the cockpit. He never backed off. I had no steering or any control since my lower unit was out of the water. I just backed off the throttle. When Mel began to accelerate out of the turn, my left sponson dug in and I spun out coming loose from Mel. I tried to keep my engine running, but no deal. Mel kept racing, and since no boat turned over, they were able to complete the heat. When Mel got back to the pit, or inspection area as you say, blood was streaming down the side of his boat.

I won both heats of 1100 hydro later that afternoon by a half a lap each heat, but guess who finished second. Yep, Mel Kirts had changed his bandages four times before 1100 hydro and he still was competitive. The Kirts are a really tough and talented bunch of competitors. I look forward to them joining

Master Oil Racing Team
04-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Hey Mike--look what I found. You were in the 2nd qualifying heat of 250 hydro. 44 entries. 10 to qualify & you made it to the finals on Sunday.

Mike Schmidt
04-06-2005, 05:22 PM
We had a great time at Hinton that year. I think I won my elimination heat in 250. The boat was the only 250 Andrews ever built. Long story on what it cost me. The big crash on the start in the finals was due to the down housing on Skip's boat breaking just above the gearcase. As he was crashing, I drove under him, real scarry. Bob Rusnak switched props after the crash and picked up a couple of MPH and just wooped us.

I very much remember them taking Mel Kirts to get his arm taped up and going back out.

I will never forget Malcom's crash in 500. It went on forever......

Please keep the photos coming.

Michael D-1

Master Oil Racing Team
04-08-2005, 08:54 AM
More Hinton 1977.

Jeff Lytle
04-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Top pic is Pete Helsten.......He still lived in Long Island N.Y. at the time. After that his boats were F-22.
That DeSilva he has in the pic, seems like he had that boat FOREVER !!

Donald
04-08-2005, 05:23 PM
Jeff, Sorry to disagree, but I have had F-22 for 45 years. Pete took F-220 when he moved south.

Jeff Lytle
04-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Yup.........You're right Ralph. How could I have forgotten Pete had F-220?

Sorry bout that Pete !! I know you're looking in on all of us. :)

David Weaver
04-08-2005, 06:39 PM
I just loved those Yale boats. Always thought they had a graceful appearance on the race course and they handled fantastically.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-08-2005, 08:38 PM
J-2 IS John Yale. I have a good story to tell regarding John, Walt Blankenstein, Dieter Koenig and Bernie Danisch later. Ralph Donald knows all these guys.

RichardKCMo
04-08-2005, 09:44 PM
I know it's only a runabout, N22 i think?

Master Oil Racing Team
04-09-2005, 09:21 AM
45 years....Wow! Ralph--go to that thread where you tell about your first race and how you started. We want to know.

Donald
04-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Wayne, I tried to find that thread with no luck. Has it got another name?

Mark75H
04-09-2005, 12:14 PM
How did you get started in boat racing? (http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738)

Just click! ;)

jrome
04-11-2005, 06:25 PM
That is the only number I remember you ever having. I remember you in a lot of A-Runabout races. Thanks for the memories. :)

Duke Johnson
04-12-2005, 06:31 PM
S-9 Duke Johnson Westerville, Ohio, Thanks Wayne!

Master Oil Racing Team
04-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Thanks Duke. Glad you're out there. I keep getting surprised by people i haven't heard from in years. Stay tuned because I have more. Don't know if I will ever get to the end.

paul jillings
04-13-2005, 03:18 AM
Photo #1 - Who is driving the F4 numbered boat?

Looks like an Italian flag.................

Peter Crowley
04-13-2005, 04:20 AM
Hello Paul- you are from England aren't you? Of course you are interested in the Lakeland World Championships.... you were there! The boat (F-4) was Don Eldredge's boat, that was his APBA number, I would have to guess that he loaned it out. I ran my regular number (B-1) because I didn't have a UIM assigned number.
I enjoy learning about what is happening "overseas" with the PRO outboards and have alway wanted to go over there an race someday! What truly amazed me- at those World Championships, I had a deck to deck race with a Germany boat that lasted for about 3 laps! Finally, an Italian came between us and cut him off in a turn.. so I retained my position having passed someone and having been passed! I thought that it was amazing because we each had equipment that came from totally different scources! Engine: Yamato/ Konig. Boat: Pugh/ ?. Prop: Dewald/ ? ..... I never would have thought that performance would have been identical! I'm sure that many of you remember that at one time, you realized the same thing!

Duke Johnson
04-13-2005, 04:57 AM
Wayne,
I hope the pics don't run out, they bring back great memories, Thanks, Duke

paul jillings
04-13-2005, 06:19 AM
Peter, yes I am from England, but no I wasn't in Lakeland. But many were and Ihave heard lots of tales.........

It is a shame that there is such a struggle to put on a truly global World Championship - as you have said, often the equipment is completely different and yet whatever the make, size or shape it all seems to work the same!

Master Oil Racing Team
04-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Paul--Do you know "Pip" Willy and Chris Applebee?

Back to the states. Here are some AOF races from Marine Creek Lake near Fort Worth in 1978

Master Oil Racing Team
04-19-2005, 07:12 AM
Some photos from Alexandria 1978.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Some photos from DePue 1972.

Dr. Thunder
04-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Please post more Depue '72 pics if you have them ...

Master Oil Racing Team
04-20-2005, 11:46 AM
My best ones are lost but I still have quite a few. My stuff here is slow & takes about half and hour to do a set of 5. Have to go out and plant some more flowers & herbs that my wife got in Fredricksburg first or I'll lose my computer priveledges.

smittythewelder
04-20-2005, 01:20 PM
I believe the big white F hydro is Ron Hagness, boat by Larry Goff, who did absolutely gorgeous work. Wonder who has it now? Ron and Howard Anderson (with a Marchetti) used to be the fastest of the 4-cyl. Looper owners in Region 10, battling it out every weekend.

smittythewelder
04-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Well now, wait, that boat (it is a little fuzzy) just might be Howard Anderson in his R&D, built by Bob Rhoades and Jim Daniels. Seems like I heard it went to Rex Hall . . . ?

Dan M
04-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Would V-23 in the last pic be Paul Bagosian(sp)? Bill Seebold in the "Ring of Fire" K-4? Probably "C" runabout.

PaulThurston
04-20-2005, 03:37 PM
I thought some of you might like these. They are taken from our club web site.
www.lobmbc.co.uk.
Checing with older club members I stand Corrected :rolleyes:

Ted March
04-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Geat pictures. WOW

Thanks. Please keep posting.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-20-2005, 08:21 PM
Could there be a "Rip" Willey AND a "Pip" Willey? I knew Pip Willey from racing in Germany and Austria 1976-1981. He towed his boats with a Citroen. Could raise and lower the car with some control unit. Called us Americans "Colonials". Said we screwed up a lot of tea. He always planned right before his heat came up to serve tea. He would set up a small table, put on a tea pot with a couple of cups, (maybe a vase with a rose in it) and pour himself a cup of tea. About when the gun would fire he would say "Not until we have our cup of Tea!" Is this the same "Rip"? Willey?

One day at Spandau he conked out and drifted against the shoreline. He found a junk bicycle. When they towed him back to the pits he was sitting on the bicycle in his boat.

He came to Lakeland for the UIM World Championships in 1993, but he didn't remember me, but I'll never forget him and his crazy stories. Especially the one about him and some royalty at a castle and a cozy fireplace.

paul jillings
04-20-2005, 11:17 PM
That is the one and same Doug Willey!

"Have a cup of tea love"..... he would often be heard to say, amongst other things!!!!!

A definite character from over here, multi times British Champion and floral hat wearer - he must have as many stories to be told as any driver ever......

Master Oil Racing Team
04-21-2005, 05:31 AM
Here are a couple of shots of Pip Willey with his floral hat at Linz, Austria 1979

Do you think you could get him and Chris Applebee to sign up with BRF?

WharfRat
04-21-2005, 06:47 AM
Hey Wayne, was at the APBA site this AM & was looking at the race details for this weekend................ look who the Ref is for the race: :)

Officials
AsstRef: JIMMY GILBERT 9846 SAGE ASPEN HOUSTON, TX 77089-3502
Inspector: CARLETON CALLAHAN PO BOX 543 LUFKIN, TX 75902-0543
RaceDir: JOHN SCHUBERT 3026 COLONEL COURT DR RICHMOND, TX 77469-6801
Referee: DARRELL BEAULIER 10 SWEETDREAM PL THE WOODLANDS, TX 77381-6009
RiskMan: MICHAEL SCHUBERT 910 HOLLY HALL RICHMOND, TX 77469-2376
Scorer: KELLY SCHUBERT 3026 COLONEL COURT DR RICHMOND, TX 77469-6801

Want me to relay a message ?

Donald
04-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Wayne, I don't ever remember a Rip Willey, but you got Pip right on. I went on a pheasant shoot with him last Dec. Had a great time. He's in good health now, after having some ateries rimmed out. Also spent one day with Chris Appleby. He took me to see this 48 cylinder motorcycle he built and a museum where his old race boat is on display as well as many others, including A tunnel boat Bill Seebold drove in the eighties.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Don't know how to respond separately to two back to back post's so I'll do both here. Wharfrat-maybe you can print out the portion that applies.

Darell, long time no see. You have to sign up to see your younger self standing on top of an upside down tunnel watching the others go by. Maybe you got a better eye when it comes to jumping the gun than my BEST FRIEND has. Hey....all those Schuberts need to join up too. And I am sure that Carleton Callahan is related to Corky and Sue Ann. They all need to be a part of BRF.

Ralph Donald--"Pip" Willey is a one-of-a-kind. Wished that him and my Dad could have gotten together and we could have been there listening to the session. I met Doug Willey and Chris Applebee at a race in Berlin. Cold, overcast, miserable weather to race in, but I guess standard over there. We were waiting and warming up in "Pip" Willeys Citroen. He was feeding me some line about us colonials wasting tea. Then he told me a story about when he took Nikita Kruschev on a pheasant hunt. He told me about how they did the hunts and all that. I can only imagine what it would be like to be on a weekend pheasant hunt with Pip Willey.

Chris Applebee.--When I found that my long time OD World Kilo Record had been broken, I was glad that it was a friend of mine--Chris Applebee.

Miss BK
04-21-2005, 09:41 PM
Wayne,

Carleton Callahan is Corky and Sue Ann's son. He was racing SST 45's back in the 1980s, but is into officiating the races now (like his Mom did) :)
I see him at St. Louis every year - usually doing some officiating work with Darrell Beaulier on the Champboat circuit. He's also the APBA Chairman of Region 15.

Val

PaulThurston
04-22-2005, 02:57 AM
This the boat I crew for. Stephen Smith it was his first time out last evenig.

WharfRat
04-22-2005, 07:45 AM
Wayne, consider it done, I'll print that out tonight, post the pic you're talking about & I'll take it with me as well to show him :D

We won't be heading out till EARLY Sunday AM.

PaulThurston
04-23-2005, 07:38 AM
Boats from the 50's to the 70's

PaulThurston
04-23-2005, 07:39 AM
and more

Master Oil Racing Team
04-23-2005, 08:23 AM
Nice pics. A few strange looking craft. What are they?

Here are a few of a boat laying around behind the Konig factory. Did you ever see this thing run Paul? Seems to me a pilot's license and a pick up boat with motor running should be a requirement before taking it out on the water.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-23-2005, 08:52 AM
Wharfrat. This isn't the picture I was thinking of but have to wrap this up now and go run pipe on a job north of Victoria. Won't be back til sometime Sunday. BTW--got my stuff for the wireless hookup. Maybe we can do it next week.

PaulThurston
04-23-2005, 09:03 AM
Clocwise: 1. Hydro pits in the 70,s
2.Dilly Dally' 350 c.c. Anzani powered three pointer driven by Don Davy of Great Yarmouth.
3.Tord Rossen of Sweden at full speed in the 1968 International.He held the lap record with Doug Willey and Artur Zartmann of Switzerland .. all breaking it at this fantstic meeting.
4.The first catamaran to race at Oulton Broad - 1968- The Mercury powered Schulze of Patrick Atkinson
5.Toby Sutton's "ROOSTER" was built in 1953 by Albatross Marine to a Ventnor design powered by a Wayne Chevrolet engine. Toby raced it regularly until the tragic night in 1960 when the boat exploded and became an inferno.
'Rooster' held the lap record from 1953 to the mid 1960s and was ahead of it's time.
The aluminium hull has been restored and is now on display at the National Motorboat Museum Pitsea, Essex.

Page 2 clockwise.
1.One of the most successful Club drivers of all time! Alan Darby raced from pre war to the late 1960's.
3.Geoffrey Watling's Symphony I dont know anything about this one.
3.Home built 'Do-ey' with a Ford 10hp engine was a good example of inboard racing in the 1950's.
4.Barracuda - Harmer Copeman built this unusual three pointer inboard, later campaigned by Jimmy Cross.

Ive never seen that hydro, but we had a spectacular roll from a 700cc laydown on thursday evening. Boat and driver coming through OK.

PaulThurston
04-26-2005, 02:12 PM
I thought some of you might like these from past club racing programs.

PaulThurston
05-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Were you in this race? Its Nottingham world OC Champs but I dont know what year.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-03-2005, 01:39 PM
No Paul, I never raced at Nottingham. My last race was in Berlin 1981 at the Spandau race course. Ralph Donald or Joe Rome may have some answers as to any Americans that raced there. They along with Tim Butts and Harry Bartolomei were at Nottingham. Don't know how many times Ralph may have raced there.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-04-2005, 07:43 AM
PRO Nationals. Winona, Minnesota 1975

Master Oil Racing Team
05-06-2005, 06:43 AM
I was looking for a picture of the 4 carb Konig and found 250+ more slides. Here are some of the PRO Nationals, Alexandria 1983.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-10-2005, 08:18 AM
Here are a few from Lakeland, Fla 1993

Master Oil Racing Team
05-16-2005, 02:14 PM
More from Hinton, 1977

Master Oil Racing Team
05-17-2005, 05:42 AM
I'll try David...Time to learn something new anyway.

David Mason
05-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Paul--Do you know "Pip" Willy and Chris Applebee?

Back to the states. Here are some AOF races from Marine Creek Lake near Fort Worth in 1978

The one in the corner in what looks like DMH or EMH, the boat that looks like it is making room on the inside and really freaking the guy on the outside out is my dad. Boat number was US1 I believe. Lyle Mason

Master Oil Racing Team
05-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Some from the Pro Nationals DePue 1974.

mercguy
05-17-2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks Duke. Glad you're out there. I keep getting surprised by people i haven't heard from in years. Stay tuned because I have more. Don't know if I will ever get to the end.

Wayne, I sure hope you DO NOT ever get to the end of your pictures, as they are priceless!!!!! How did you ever find the time to take them all? ;)

Dr. Thunder
05-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Would love to see AOH, BOH, ARR, and BRR from Depue '74 if you have them!!!

Master Oil Racing Team
05-18-2005, 07:06 AM
Still have a lot of stuff from DePue 74. Just been trying to scatter things around. Don't have much hydro stuff as I was racing in the hydro classes. If you remember we had cold, wet and windy weather along with low water. The water depth only averaged 28" and drivers were told to test at their own risk. There was a lot of propeller and lower unit damage. The approach area to the start was was tightened up due to low water. The only finals run Saturday were M and C service runabout. The officials decided to run one heat 5 lap finals for remaining classes Sunday. Because of that, I don't have as many racing pictures as I normally would for a nationals, but I got a lot of pit stuff, including a rock skipping contest between me and Denny Henderson (nothing else to do while we waited). BTW that was the first article I wrote for Powerboat.

Dr. Thunder
05-18-2005, 08:42 AM
Pit shots would be a lot of fun to see... any chance you could repost or link us to the article you wrote?

Master Oil Racing Team
05-18-2005, 12:56 PM
I'll post it later. Got to give up the computer now.

Duke Johnson
05-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Wayne it looks like V-99 is rookie Todd Brinkman, how time flies, Duke

Master Oil Racing Team
05-19-2005, 06:05 AM
You're right Duke. I look at these photos & time suspends all my racing friends, then Joe Rome sends me current photos & some I recognize and some its tough. Like that post telling about Marcel Bellville and Jimbo McConnell talking & didn't recognize each other.

Well---here goes that 1974 Powerboat article. Don't know if it's sized right, but BRF encourages learning new computer skills. (Hope there is no copyright infringement--Huh...Ron...Ted?)

Dr. Thunder
05-19-2005, 11:03 AM
That was great Wayne ... thanks

Master Oil Racing Team
05-20-2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks, Dr. Thunder. Here's more from DePue 74. Now I'm wondering if you have any stories to go along with that event? Do you remember anything about the guy in the water with a litter?

Jeff Lytle
05-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Hey Wayne, could you post the PRO Crash Bash??

Mark75H
05-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Wayne, Powerboat Magazine has given Boatracingfacts.com express permission to post from back issues with the following conditions:

Give Powerboat Magazine credit, post the entire article and all pictures, do not post the entire magazine issue; only use issues more than 10 years old.

We ask that others that wish to post scans of exerpts from Powerboat follow these guidelines to keep us in good with Powerboat. If anyone posts less than a full article I think we can put in what is originally left out and be cool. Other sites are basically getting away under the "fair use" clause. As far as I know, BRF is the only website with official permission from Powerboat Magazine.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-20-2005, 10:30 PM
I can do that Jeff. Thanks Sam. I wasn't sure & I didn't want to cause any problems. I had seen an article someone posted I did on Tim Butts here so I put up the 1974 article, but no more until I had confirmation.

As far as giving Powerboat credit....I give them all the credit for what I have been able to do with my pictures. Harry Echols in Houston, Texas had a regional racing tabloid called Motorsport Magazine. He gave Joe Rome and myself pit access to stock cars, motorcyles, etc... the boats we had covered. Problem was...after the publication folded...I had no place for my pictures. I decided I would have to write an article and then have photos to accompany and enhance the article to get my photos published. The first one I submitted was the Pro Nationals DePue Illinois 1974. I found out that my story was accepted when I opened the mailbox and found a check from PowerBoat Magazine.

Bob Brown was editor then and sorry to say I have never met him in person. I met the next editor Mark Spencer at Phoenix in 1976 and I think it was shortly before he became editor. He was still there in 1993 when I asked if he would be interested in a story on the UIM World Championships at Lakeland. He said yes, but I blew it. The company my Dad started in 1946 was finished, and I had to take care of some stuff. I had the story finished but never finished developing all the film. Of course you all know there's not much time to get that stuff out so I didn't make the deadline on that last one.

My Dad and I knew Bob Nordskog and thought he had a great vision for APBA. At a time when OPEC was causing problems for a second time, he spent a lot of time and money with a diesel powered tunnel. Him and Ted May I guess raced them all over the place.

So Yes,.... I'm glad to know that I can post some of the Powerboat stuff. They're a good bunch of folks.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-22-2005, 08:42 AM
The following is a copy of the article I wrote about the Pro Nationals in Hinton, West Virginia in 1977 entitled "The Pro Crash Bash". It was published in POWERBOAT Magazine Voume 10 number 3, October 1977.

Duke Johnson
05-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks again Wayne for installing another great flashback from the past, Duke

Master Oil Racing Team
06-08-2005, 03:41 PM
I scanned these over a week ago then had to go out. Forgot which race & they're too small to tell until I post them.

Ron Saxvik
06-08-2005, 06:11 PM
The following is a copy of the article I wrote about the Pro Nationals in Hinton, West Virginia in 1977 entitled "The Pro Crash Bash". It was published in POWERBOAT Magazine Voume 10 number 3, October 1977.

Wayne,
Are you going to be able to post any of the Stock Nats coverage that
is featured on the cover ?
Thanks,
Ron

Master Oil Racing Team
06-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Ron--Unless I hear otherwise---I suppose so. As long as I stick to the guidelines should be no problem. Give me a little time though. The "Pro Crash Bash" was handy as I had it in my album. I have to go through my stuff & it isn't quite organized yet. BRF has caused quite an upset in my study. I'm having to finally get around to finish my darkroom and put things back in order.

Wayne

Master Oil Racing Team
06-09-2005, 05:50 AM
Here you go Ron. Looks like a who's who edition. This is from Volume 10. Number 3. October 1977 edition of Powerboat Magazine.

Miss BK
06-09-2005, 06:32 AM
I've been looking everywhere for that issue for the past 10 years.

In the pic showing Ted May patching Eric Nordskog's boat, that person standing to the left is Don Johnston - who went on to race the "ARCADIAN" Formula One boat for Jim Hauenstien.

We were pitted right next to them at this race. I had just been sent off to fetch something - but if I hadn't, I might have been in that shot too. :)

Ron Saxvik
06-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Here you go Ron. Looks like a who's who edition. This is from Volume 10. Number 3. October 1977 edition of Powerboat Magazine.

Wayne....thanks for all the memories. Was just getting back into Stock
Outboard about this time after spending time with Uncle Sam and trying to
get settled into normal civilian life again. Was starting my career at the
Timken Company bout that time so was tough getting vacation time about
then too so missed out on a lot of national events back then. Thanks again
and am looking forward to more of this history.

Master Oil Racing Team
06-27-2005, 01:46 PM
This was the year that Bobby Riggs came to Winona. He had challenged the woman tennis player (forgot her name) to a boat race. I think she beat him in tennis, but she didn't show up to race.

Ron Hill
06-27-2005, 04:38 PM
Bobby Riggs was an interesting piece of work...Basically, he had been a "HUSTLER" all his life...Golf, tennis..??? Billy Jean King beat the fire out of him on National Monday Night TV...But, it was a great show.....Kind of like Caly use to say he'd win the fight...then win it!!!

Master Oil Racing Team
06-28-2005, 02:51 PM
That's who it was Ron. I had her face in my memory but the name that kept popping up was Janet Reno and I knew that wasn't right. Here are some more from that Bi-Centennial Nationals.

denny henderson
07-08-2005, 01:01 PM
The results of the Rock Skipping Contest were the same as most of the boat races that Wayne and I had over the years, he won. I think he also successfully defended the title at Winona. I finally won it one year when no one else showed up.

Master Oil Racing Team
07-08-2005, 01:38 PM
I had all the flat rocks.

Master Oil Racing Team
07-15-2005, 01:38 PM
1974. That was a year of low water. The outside perimeter of the course was marked off. Drizzled off and on before qualifying and a downpour came when everybody was leaving the pits. We left Joe Rome stranded with a rental car trying to get back to Chicago. He looked like a drownded rat. Sorry Joe. Guess that could be considered dirt.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-02-2005, 07:44 AM
I can's remember if a couple of these had been posted earlier or not. I apologize in advance if they have. These are some that were in a batch that have started to deteriorate because I had them crammed to tightly in what I thought were good sleeves. They make much better archival plastic that they did 30 years ago, and while I have started to transfer them, thought I would post some. I had to start marking the ones that I have posted, because I have too many to remember. Sorry if I messed up.

Jeff Lytle
08-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Top to bottom:

John Yale
Billy Rucker
Gary Pugh
Mal Harden
Pete Voss

Color looks great Wayne.........Keep it up buddy.
Did you see our newest member?? Jim McKean just signed up today.

Jeff Lytle
08-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Whazzup wit dis'??

Master Oil Racing Team
08-03-2005, 09:15 AM
C3 is Alan Ishii, but it kinda doesn't look like him from that angle. Been thinking about putting together a list of driver's with their numbers to help me when I'm going through my stuff. I remember most of them, but there are a few I have trouble with.

Jeff, Joe Rome told me this morning he thought Alan Ishii was signed on. Is that right? Also he said Skip Birbarie signed on yesterday. Don't know how I keep missing some of these guys. Thanks for the headsup on Jim McKean.

Here's one of Alan and Doc Collins.

Ron Hill
08-03-2005, 09:27 AM
Wayne,
I'm going to contact several encyclopedia companies and see if I can buy their software.

I'd like to think that "WE" could get better organized...Example, type
in C-3.....and it would direct you to Ted May and Alan Ishii...Doc Collins...

As it is now, BRF's isn't organized like I had DREAMEDed...It is more organized like me....which is to say...(No flaming here, right...)Well, tomorrow I'll get organized..

Master Oil Racing Team
08-03-2005, 09:34 AM
I was sanding my darkroom to finish it off for my daughter's college courses, then I found BRF and now it is piled high with photos, documents, magazines, etc. Can't even use my light box. If you need any help with the encylopedia stuff let me know. Might be pretty expensive to do all of that, but it would be well worth it. I'll be glad to help out.

Ron Hill
08-03-2005, 05:32 PM
I can't seem to recall who this is. V-88 and it's a Nervous C hydro, looks like a Sid Son???? Any help???

jrome
08-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Ron,looks Like Bob Murphy To Me.

Jeff Lytle
08-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Or maybe Todd Sr.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-04-2005, 05:11 AM
But it doesn't look quite like him. Possibility it is Bob Rake.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-17-2005, 10:39 AM
As always, a good place to race.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-26-2005, 06:18 AM
Water conditions were not good. Debris from floods and river traffic. But surprisingly few problems once racing got under way.

jrome
09-05-2005, 04:14 PM
I was just looking through some pictures and found some 2 Man F Runabouts. They were always a crowd favorite. I would drive, but I wouldn't ride. :D

Master Oil Racing Team
09-09-2005, 05:53 AM
The Brinkman's put on a fine show at Springfield. The trip from the pits to the water was a little rocky, but it was a good course and run very well. We didn't do any good at all, but we had a great time. Jack Chance tried to help someone rigging up a boat, but he said he didn't need help, he knew what he was doing. Never saw him before and don't know if he continued racing. He was winding the steering cable the wrong way on the hub. We watched as he pulled out of the pits. He started a right hand turn, but the hydro went left. He panicked and turned hard right and the hydro made a sharp left and ran into the rocks.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-24-2005, 08:32 AM
It was a nice racecourse, and the turnout was very good.

Duke Johnson
09-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Wayne, Great pic of my brother Walt S-17, Thanks, Duke

Master Oil Racing Team
10-11-2005, 06:49 AM
Some of the foreigners created quite a stir when in town. The Swedes weren't arrested, but the cops did explain to them it was illegal to swim in the hotel pool in the nude. I thought Leif Ahlborg already knew that, but then...Arizona IS just next door to California. And German Hans Krage discovered that the big busted waitress in the hotel bar wasn't amused when he poured a pitcher of ice on her chest.

jrome
10-12-2005, 05:45 PM
There is more to the story, the waitress thought that she was the hotest thing in town, and Hans just thought that he would cool her down a bit by pouring a bucket of ice down the front of her blouse. I think that the police agreed but they couldn't say so. But Hans had most of the fun as usual.;)

Master Oil Racing Team
10-19-2005, 08:18 AM
PRO Nationals

Master Oil Racing Team
10-20-2005, 07:09 PM
a few more from hinton

Master Oil Racing Team
10-29-2005, 09:49 AM
Marine Creek Lake is near Fort Worth. Pete DeLackner used to live only a couple of miles from this fine race course.

A funny story from this race. I didn't know a lot of these guys and I don't remember names, but here is what happened.

At the driver's meeting a lady came up and whispered something in the announcer's ear. The announcer then proceeded to tell the audience "Somebody borrowed a tap and die set from Mrs. ??? and she needs it now. She forgot who she loaned it to so she asked me to make the announcement.". No reply from the audience. "Now, whoever out there has it needs to bring it back. She was kind enough to loan it, and now she needs it, so who has it?" Again silence. Everyone was just standing there. Then the announcer started giving measurements with his hands as he spoke."It is in a black box........about this long.....about this wide..." The he abruptly stopped. He turned to the lady and said, "I have it!" and the audience erupted in laughter.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-31-2005, 03:14 PM
San Antonio 1978

Kristi Ellison
11-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Bottom Picture....barrel rolled going first into the first turn first in Formula 350H. Wow I had no idea there were nay pictures of that!!

Kristi Ellison:confused:

Pete Nydahl
11-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Bottom Picture....barrel rolled going first into the first turn first in Formula 350H. Wow I had no idea there were nay pictures of that!!

Kristi Ellison:confused:
I thought that was you Kristi,could'nt quite read the number on the deck.That Byers pitched you out a few times did'nt it?

Pete Nydahl
11-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Alexandria 1979.Here you are telling me how your race went.

Pete Nydahl
11-08-2005, 06:30 AM
Fall race at Alex 1978.Who can name these drivers?

Donald
11-08-2005, 11:01 AM
Pete, The first picture has to be one of the Kirts clan, the next one is Clyde Queen, the last one is probaly David Westbrook driving Hans Krage's boat that Hans used at Phoenix and Fort Worth. I kept it in my basement for Hans until 1980 when he shipped it back to Germany after the Laredo race. David used it a few times during that period,

Pete Nydahl
11-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Pete, The first picture has to be one of the Kirts clan, the next one is Clyde Queen, the last one is probaly David Westbrook driving Hans Krage's boat that Hans used at Phoenix and Fort Worth. I kept it in my basement for Hans until 1980 when he shipped it back to Germany after the Laredo race. David used it a few times during that period,
Yep,back of the picture says Mel Kirts.Looks like Clyde had that new A DeSilva honken that day.Westbrook,what ever happen to him?you see him anymore?I need one of them belly boats:p

David Weaver
11-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Joe Johnson from Vacaville, CA about to make a tough decision going into turn 1. Joe took second at his first nationals in 250 runabout with VRP. Photo by Teri Ziemer.

David Weaver
11-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Mike Thirlby and Paul Fucshlin duled for three heats in Omaha in a classic race. Photo by Teri Ziemer.

David Weaver
11-08-2005, 07:08 PM
I hesitated just for just a second at the start in this heat at the Nationals and took a shower for the next 4 laps. Photo by Teri Ziemer.

Donald
11-08-2005, 08:27 PM
David Westbrook is living in Woodstock, Ga. He is managing a carwash there that he and I own. David is into motorcycles now. Streetbikes, He has a kawasaki that looks like a Harley and a Honda goldwing. He has the long hair and a beard, but no tatoos.

Master Oil Racing Team
11-08-2005, 08:47 PM
If I remember right, he had one leg broken on a trials bike, a peg went through another leg on a dirt bike, a lower unit severed one of the legs,( but he held on to it) and he still can stand on the pedals. Must have electric start. Ralph, tell him to sign on at BRF and see some pictures. What about Richard and Charlie?

Cameraboy
11-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Joe Johnson from Vacaville, CA about to make a tough decision going into turn 1. Joe took second at his first nationals in 250 runabout with VRP. Photo by Teri Ziemer.

...there's usually a good thrash. Who all is helping you here, Joe?

David Weaver
11-09-2005, 05:49 AM
From me, I am in the driving suit. I believe that Joe had just stuck another piston. He can re-tell that story of expensive learning for everyone. I had just broken something on my 250 R and my parts box was in Joe's boat.

Fortunately, right after this it was determined that starting clock was malfunctioning and the first heats of 250R were run again. Chris Hellsten was "head of the class" again this year with good starts and a lightening quick boat. The "field" suffered with some attrition and a few gun jumpers. All year, 250 runabout was a great class and will be again in 2006.

Joe ended-up having a great day. He quickly got the hang of the 250 runabout and should contend this year for first.

Joe J
11-09-2005, 07:59 AM
...there's usually a good thrash. Who all is helping you here, Joe?

David, actually that's me in the driving suit. you can tell the difference, there is no gray hair and no bald spot.:D :D :D :D :D

Actually, the help came rom Rich Fuchslin, Deke Johnson, and Mike Thirlby, though he was not involved when the picture was taken. The perfect example of everyone helping everyone, the way this port is supposed to be!!!!!!!!

David Weaver DID come in very handy, since he has new pistons close by.

Something Wayne mentioned earlier shows in the picture of me running. Coming up for the start the inside was a MESS, so I want wide. I was able to keep all my speed going through the first turn, and even though I took the long way through the turn, coming out with that much speed worked in my favor.

Joe

David Weaver
11-09-2005, 08:39 AM
Yep, Joe you are right. That's you with all that hair not me. By the way, your quote should read David "had" pistons.....before you found and solved your issue there were not many left....

Master Oil Racing Team
11-19-2005, 09:57 PM
I just picked up a plastic sheet for storing transparencies that is going bad. Did 5 in a row. Some aren't identifiable, but I believe it is 350 hydro. The venue is Springfield Pro Eastern Divisionals 1977. Much of the stuff from 77 was crammed up & the plastic pages reverting to goo. While I tranfer them into archival sheets I will clean them and post some. Don't want to overload 1977 but need to kill two birds with one stone. My new computer with all the mega pic downloads still doesn't talk to the internet, so its still slo go.

P.S. More Teri Ziemer photos

Master Oil Racing Team
04-25-2006, 07:49 AM
Been a while since I had time to scan transparencies. Lighting was poor from where I was in the pits, but the computer helps. It was overcast and low water at DePue that year.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-27-2006, 07:07 AM
A few more pics from DePue 1974. Sorry for the quality, but they are going bad. Denny Henderson located a bunch of old slides from the 70's and found the images all gone. So use'm or lose'm.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Some runabouts from the PRO Nationals, Winona, Minnesota 1975. BTW, where are Bob and Judy Smith? They sure helped put on some good races up there.

corin_huke
05-05-2006, 10:13 AM
On the Formula Series (formerly Formula250.org) site, I discovered a few photos from years gone by amongst the photos from more recent times

Including this photo of Messrs König & Danisch. Talking of Bernhard Danisch, does anyone know his whereabouts? - last I heard he was spending half his time in Germany and the other half in Florida....

Photo source: http://www.formulaseries.net/main/
Album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/92958422@N00/

Master Oil Racing Team
05-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks Corin for posting the pictures of Dieter Konig and Bernie Danisch. Bernie was a masterful boatbuilder. I rigged out and drove several of his hulls in the mid 70's, but only met him once. Walt Blankenstein & I went through Checkpoint Charlie where he smuggled in a calculator for Bernie to convert John Yale's picklefork hydro measurement's from inches to millimeters. Dieter Konig had to go through a different entrance from us but he said there would not be any problems. We met up a little later, then went to a place where we had dinner with Bernie and passed the boat plans and calculator.

corin_huke
05-15-2006, 12:15 PM
Here's another one for you Master Oil........

A certain Herr Loth keeping a very close eye on his rival!!

You'll find a host more pics from days gone by on the German site http://www.ellmers-motorsport.de/

Enjoy!

Master Oil Racing Team
05-17-2006, 07:18 AM
I would certainly keep a close eye on anything to do with Pepsico. They burnt a friend of mine from Berlin to the tune of hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, in a business deal.:mad: Oh well, they made enough money to sponsor a boat racer.:) Thanks for the pics Corin. Got more?

Master Oil Racing Team
05-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Venue is Spandau in 1976.

David Weaver
01-05-2007, 05:09 PM
This is a great photo. An OSY400 heat of racing. 2 boats catch a a gust of wind at the finish line.

Can you Name:

1) The event?

2) The Drivers?

3) The Year?

Photo by Jean Tennell

Master Oil Racing Team
01-05-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm guessing that they didn't cross the finish line.:confused: They didn't see the ripples on the water? An interesting story........would love to hear the drivers tell the tale.

Bill Van Steenwyk
01-05-2007, 07:56 PM
It's a long time from when you asked the question, but Bob passed away several years ago, Althiemers, but he wanted all his friends to know that he joined the republican party toward the last. He used to call me "the Nazi" and I called him "a commie pinko" all in fun of course because of all the political discussions we used to have. He an Judy were divorced for quite a while before he died.

P.S. not kidding about the republican party, he showed Eileen and I his card at the DePue Nationals one year.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks for letting me know Bill. He was too young to go. He and Judy were the driving forces for the races at Winona. There were never any more professional races put on than there. I'll always have fond memories of that fine race course and the fun we had there with our friends. It was also where I saw the northern lights for the first and only time. I was sitting on our trailer talking with Chuck and Jane Hall when the sky started boiling with greens, reds, yellows, and magentas. The patch of sky was shimmering then boiling and coaelesing into a center that funneled up into the sky, only to start over again.

Bob and Judy were tireless workers and did the Midwest Powerboat Association proud. In the mid 70's the Dallas Cowboys were running over everyone and the Minnesota Vikings were too. I remember a challenge with Bob, but I forget who won. I will post some stuff about Bob in the Encyclopedia because he needs to be remembered.

P.S. Anyone who looks at his pocketbook and see that it wasn't his wife that spent all the money finally realizes maybe he sent the wrong guys to Washington.;) Maybe its time for the Republicans to see the light too.:mad: :cool:

epugh66
01-06-2007, 08:53 AM
If no one knows the answer to David's quiz in a few days, I'll give my opinion.

Jeff Lytle
01-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Well.............I wasn't there, so this is just a stab in the dark ( wonder where that phrase 1st came from? :D ) I'll try 2 out of 4:

It looks like Depue, and it looks like a Pugh hydro on the left. Since Eric has chimed in to answer if no one does, I'll bet he was the driver of the Pugh hydro!

Composite Specialties
01-06-2007, 06:04 PM
It was Depue, don't remember the year but it was a couple of years ago and the boat on the right I believe was Oliver Lucas in his laydown.

epugh66
01-06-2007, 10:15 PM
It wasn't me. Oliver Lucas is close, but there are a couple more pieces of the puzzle;)

Joe J
01-06-2007, 10:23 PM
David:

I know, but since I was on the course w/ them I will not answer the question.

Joe

Doug Hall Y51
01-07-2007, 03:18 PM
It was Depue, around 2001, 2002. It was the Worlds for I believe OSY. I dont know the drivers but I do remember that the boat on the right was an all composite boat.

Amateur Photog
01-07-2007, 07:49 PM
David,

Not sure I can take the credit for that particular shot. Here is the complete series.

My apologies on the poor scanned resolution.

David 98
01-08-2007, 06:00 AM
World championship Depou 2002 OSY-400

left boat= Peter Kelly (USA)
right boat=Marian Jung(Slovakia)(Lucas Boat..all composit)

David Weaver
01-08-2007, 07:06 AM

David98, congratulations! You can pick up you prizes at Depou or Depue 2007.

epugh66
01-08-2007, 07:13 AM
Thats about correct. To me, whats more important is that it was a battle between two hard headed racers. In the end both crashed, damaged equipment and were injured.

Jung was driving in the typical euro style, cut and slash. In this case, a little bearing away. Kelly wasn't going to put up with that, as he shouldn't have to. After a lot of bumping, he was airborne, taking Jung with him.

Both Lucas and Jung picked up a lot of speed during the week. By race day, they still weren't the fastest, but what they gave up on the straits, they mare than made up for in the turns.

David Weaver
01-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Thats about correct. To me, whats more important is that it was a battle between two hard headed racers. In the end both crashed, damaged equipment and were injured.

Jung was driving in the typical euro style, cut and slash. In this case, a little bearing away. Kelly wasn't going to put up with that, as he shouldn't have to. After a lot of bumping, he was airborne, taking Jung with him.

Both Lucas and Jung picked up a lot of speed during the week. By race day, they still weren't the fastest, but what they gave up on the straits, they mare than made up for in the turns.

Pete actually made it out for the next heat with a lot of help. I believe both crossed the finish line even if they were airborne.

epugh66
01-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Where the action always is.
This is scanned from the Thursday July 26 1990 edition of the Peoria Journal Star. It would have to be a file photo because it is of a race heat. I'm on the inside, to my right is Dan Kirts, out front is Denny Henderson. I'm pretty sure Dan is about to get wet!

I'm guessing this was the year that Dieter brought two new generation VA engines. Kirts had one and shared it with some one on a runabout, I shared mine with Brinkmans. I'm driving Gary's 250 boat, Gary was in Gibby Petermans rig.

David Weaver
01-27-2007, 05:22 AM

Following the flip it was determined that both drivers had crossed the finish line. Marian was a little sore and was done for the day. After getting checked out at the ambulance, Pete was released. But, could he make it out in time for the next heat? Well, a team of friends and competitors made sure that he did!! Can you name the helpers in this photo? Sometimes, much is made of the attitude shown by the stroke and bore PRO racers to the OSY400 drivers. I say this photo refutes that.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-27-2007, 08:05 AM
I'm guessing Denny Henderson in yellow shirt with a red cap.

corin_huke
01-27-2007, 02:36 PM
This is a more recent photo of Marian (back to the camera) from a couple of years ago (Bitterfeld, Germany). At the time he raced in the Formula 125 class with a Arens engine on the back of a composite Lucas boot. He's now racing in the F-250 class and has this year joined the Demmler Racing Team of Germany, using a VRP

Photo: Ilkka Rytkönen, 66 Racing (www.66-racing.com)

David Weaver
01-27-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm guessing Denny Henderson in yellow shirt with a red cap.

You got the person in the foreground Wayne.

THe others?? Several PRO racing families represented.

Doug Hall Y51
01-28-2007, 04:15 PM
How about Chris Hellstein, Kurt Hellstein, David Hooten with his back to the camera and I am thinking that the man standing next to Chris looks like Marty Stahl?

David Weaver
01-29-2007, 03:41 AM
How about Chris Hellstein, Kurt Hellstein, David Hooten with his back to the camera and I am thinking that the man standing next to Chris looks like Marty Stahl?

Chris Hellsten, John Stevens, Denny, David Hooten, Joe Johnson, your truely, Tom Cronk, Buddy Tennell and Rob Erbel (only recognizable by his hat).

Dave_E71
02-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Greg Hall but I don't know where, unlike Wayne or Rons mom, I don't keep good records.....

Dave_E71
02-15-2007, 05:59 PM
I know who and where on this one, Gary Augustine at Denton Maryland.

Top is entering the turn and bottom is exiting, those are the entrance and exit buoys, yes, it's a bit narrow.

Dave

Master Oil Racing Team
03-08-2007, 08:53 AM
That course looks narrow like Beaumont, but without the dogleg on the back straight. Looks like a fun place to race.

Carl Lewis and Dr. Thunder had asked for some more Lake Lawrence photos. I don't have too many, but here are a few from 1976.

Dave_E71
03-13-2007, 07:09 PM
When you win races and championships but the pictures people post are like this......

Master Oil Racing Team
03-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Dave, that looks like Lake Calaveras in San Antonio 1974. Rex was there. I Don't have a pic of him spearing that bouy. Guess I was on the water too.:)

I wish I had time now to follow your post with the other pics I have of various drivers sporting bouys on their forks or bows. But you have a great point.:D (was that supposed to be a pun?. :confused: No---it was just a subliminal thought.);) :D

Master Oil Racing Team
03-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Hey Glen--I was looking through my Dayton 1978 slides and found this one of you.

Jeff Lytle
03-14-2007, 06:14 PM
That's the tunnel Glen had I was telling you about!

Glenn Coates
03-17-2007, 08:29 AM
The OC500 Tunnel Boat experiment/project. Pre-internet the exchange of information around the world was slow to non-existent. Only after having designed and built this boat did I learn of other's attempts to build a low-profile tunnel on which to run a Konig and it would seem that much of their experience was similar to mine.

At Dayton the tunnel was only about 3 weeks old and I was pretty low on the learning curve. Add to that I had just received my latest 3 blade cleaver from Phil Rolla in Switzerland. For all the things that were wrong with the boat and set-up it actually ran pretty well. It took about another month to get it to the point where it was competitive. Some small changes to the bottom, and for some reason my engine would run way too rich with the engine cowl on the boat. Very smooth ride on rough water, and loved single pin turns, a semi-controlled hook. Smooth water and wide turns it did not like, too much over-steer. Would have required major surgery to re-profile the sponsons. Having sent my frame patterns and drawings to europe it has been interesting to watch over the last 30 years the continued development of the now Formula 500 tunnel boat.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Don't have time to look for pics now, but I found part of my notes on some races that had been misplaced. Just a couple of notes I may have missed earlier that I thought were interesting. These notes are from the Pro Nationals at Winona, Minn. 1976

1st qaul. DRR Charlie Bailey led 2 laps. dropped to 2nd & finally quit just short of finish (out of fuel) had new motor & had to go out early to break in. paddled across finish to qualify.:D

725 H, Heat 1 Yellow boat blew over on the way to T1. Bob Crumley O.K.!:eek:

1100 Runabout. Rider of C 127 fell out on L 4.

Beginning final lap T 1 Alan was going out of boat until Charlie grabbed him.

1100 Runabout heat 2. Bruce started last & finish 1st. craig had to pinch off fuel lines to clear motor. He got lead coming out of T4 L1.

Dan flipped 2nd heat L3 front straight in 2nd place. Weld on tower housing broke & lost lower unit.

500R Heat 1. Rex lead L 1. Pack together until T3L1. Bruce caught Rex L3. Bruce, Rex, Kirts, Bogosian at finish. 67.681 mph new record.

Just a few recovered notes that may help me remember the details of what went on when we were racing.:)

jrome
03-31-2007, 04:59 AM
Wayne you know how you would drive me crazyer with your notes.But you were right people do want to know Charlie saved Alan and Craig did pince that fuel line.But what I would like to know is if Alan and Craig remember it 30 years later?

Master Oil Racing Team
03-31-2007, 10:21 AM
I asked Joe what he meant about me driving him crazy. He said it was back during the day. He saw some of the things I wrote down and he told me at the time "You drive me crazy writing that kind of s#%t down. You just need to put down who finished what position." Now he is glad that I wrote it down.

Here's another couple of examples from the Eastern Divisionals at Springfield Illinois in 1977.

"B&W of Jerry McMillan in john boat going to judges stand to get his *** eatin out for taking off his helmet during progress of race."

"2nd heat qual 250 hyd pleasure boat threw rollers on the course & Johnny Dortch yelled at Referee to hold up until rollers dissipated. Took no heed & shortly after fired the cannon. a couple minutes later Dick Puma stuffed into a roller. I think a white pickup boat caused the roller."

My only regret Joe is I didn't make you even crazier with more notes.;) :D

Ron Hill
03-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Our notes, if we had any would go like this...

Left Ted May in the restroom at the Chevron, had to go back and get him, thought he was asleep in the back seat...

Stopped and ate watermelon, again! Will we ever get to the race???

Stopped by the King's river, in Kingsburg, so Ted could shoot off some Cherry Bombs...Donny Hauenstein's Amphibious Duck is still in the middle of the river, stuck in ...power pole is over turned next to the duck...Hmm!!!

Jimbo got a ticket...Ted argued with the cop and said, "Damn it, Jimbo was going 55 miles per hour and I was watching him..." Cop said, "That's true, he was going 55 when he went right through that stop sign.."

Stopped and fixed second flat tire... Ted buys those damn retreads for the trailer...

Won seven firsts... Going to Lodi next weekend...

That Billy Jack Rucker is hard to pass!!! (The lake just ain't big enough sometimes)...

Francis Hauenstien fed us all again...damn....that was good!!! Especially the shrimp!!! (of cours, Ted and I ate most of it)...

Seven hours home...Hell, let's sleep under the grapevines again!!!

The OLD MAN (Russ Hill, Sr.) won't miss me and Ted at work!!! And Jimbo doesn't have to work until Tuesday!!!

geodavid
04-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Now wait a cotton picking minute here Joe. I was trying to jump OUT of the boat when Charley pulled me back in. I remember in the qualifier we just cruised. I was making hand signals to guys in the pits and everything. It was such a nice afternoon ride, I was thinking of bringing a sandwich along for the finals, in case I got hungry. Joe is laughing, telling me it would be a LOT different in the finals. Ha Ha!
Here we go into the first turn. Mind you, there was NOTHING to hang on to in the boat. Charley backs off entering and I go rolling up on the deck. Just as I was about to do a double swan dive jack knife, Charley grabs me and yanks me back into the boat. Well, now I figure he is not one to allow his rider to abandon ship, so I'm thinking about pulling on some wires. Just then, we blew a gearcase. WHEW!!! My speech was affected for a while, but finally returned to normal breathing.
You would think that was the end of deck riding, however, some of you know that brains were not my strong point. I rode with the Great Dean Wilson in Jonh T's 4-60 at Bakersfield. Some may have heard this one too. We go into the first turn and Dean is motioning me to go out on the deck. This time, they have handles and everything. I am shaking my head, No No no. Plus, with the clockwise turning prop, it seemed like we were headed right for the beach at times. Now, into the second turn, Dean is getting a little upset and starts shoving me out there. I look over and see those thick glasses and flashback to Winona 76'. Finally, I tepidly climb out there and we win the race. I am proud to say that I rode with Dean a few more times and really enjoyed the experience of an close up look at a really great race boat driver. Two experiences that I will never forget. Joe and Wayne, thanks for reminding me.

gearbox49m1
04-02-2007, 12:26 PM
I will never forget the look on Alan Ishi's face going down the back straight at Winona. It didn't look fun anymore. Bruce passed everyone on the outside and it was crusin after that, but that first lap, WOW. Yes, I did pinch the fuel line coming up for the start. I had watched Bruce for years and with that engine when it loaded up he would pinch the fuel line until it cleared out. I thought we were done so it seemed the thing to do. When it cleared it took off like we were shot out of a cannon. I don't think he backed off until we had the lead. I rode with Bruce for three years and I don't think he ever got beat, disqualified maybe. There were lots of fun stories riding with Bruce.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Alan, you're prefinal cruise was about like Andy Weller's first time with Charlie which was at DePue in 1972. Andy was all smiles and waving at the pits, that is until the racing started. The inside was Charlie's whether there was room or not. Like you say, Charlies boat didn't have anything to grab onto so Andy had his hands hanging onto the rubrail. At the first turn Charlie wedged the bow into a mouse hole between the pin and Rich Fuschlin then proceeded to open up that hole, bumping chines with Fuschlin. Andy quickly found a hold in the cutouts inside the cockpit.:eek: He wasn't smiling anymore when he came around.;)

Unlike Bruce, Charlie had a new deckrider each race. Joe is checking with Charlie tommorrow to see if he can recall the roster. And Craig, I do know one race Bruce lost--It was to Charlie at Alexandria. You guys were faster but broke in one heat. He won that first heat, but I can't remember if you guys came out the second. I was riding with Charlie, but somehow I was thinking it was the last NOA race at Alex so I don't know why it was two man runabout. I'll have to do some checking also and maybe there might be a few pics.

gearbox49m1
04-03-2007, 05:55 AM
I remember one race at Alex when I was riding with Bruce. We had a huge lead, Charlie was second, when the rotary valve jumped time. The thing slowed down alot, we had about one lap to go before the finish. Bruce was trying to get so low and back in the boat that he was below the front cowling. The problem was on the back straight he was lined up to the center turn bouy in 3&4. I waited as long as I could for him to realize that he was headed for the wrong bouy, hit him on top of the helmet and pointed to the first pin. We made a right turn to make the bouy and just barely beat Charley to the finish line. After all the years of driving, some of the most fun I had was riding in 1100 runabout with Bruce.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Those are the kind of finishes you never forget Craig.:)

Here is what I believe to be the photo of Dick Puma. I forget what he looks like, but it doesn't look like the passenger is really enjoying this ride.

Craig, while I was looking for the above pic I came across one at that same race in Springfield where it appears Bruce is demonstrating pinching the fuel lines. The next pic is from the Nationals at Winona, which is the one I think my notes refer to. Unfortunately Alan, I couldn't find any with you and Charlie:(

f8andbethere
04-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Six a hydros at stock nationals eliminations. It does not get any better than this!
f/8

Dave_E71
05-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Top picture, Pop Augustine, 350 Konig 2 cyl, 1972, Note on back says he won that race

second picture is Pop and it looks like Denton MD and I think it's an earlier boat so pre '72

rbengines
09-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Wayne maybe you can idenfy these.

rbengines
09-19-2007, 12:24 PM
I think this Denny M.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-19-2007, 01:16 PM
It Looks like Deanie Montgomery in the foreground of the first picture too. These were before my time and when I first met Louis Williams, he was racing a Fillinger hull in A runabout and had the number 14T. Joe was telling me a little over a month ago that Louis kept the number 14T when he bought Deanie's Fillinger. Deanie started and stopped several times during his career and I think this is probably an early 60's pic of him. Maybe Joe knows for sure. It may be that T 11 is Lee Little out of Dallas. Denny Henderson may know some of these.

jrome
09-19-2007, 06:08 PM
That Is Deanie In 14i. Deanie Got Out Of Racing For A Few Years And Louis Ran 14 T Out Of Respect For Deanie. He Also Ran 15t When He Bought Bobby Wilsons Boat 15t.

hutch
10-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Is the J-1 boat George Andrews?

That is george for sure. Miss the brute. Jeff

Master Oil Racing Team
03-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Been awhile since I visited this. A few runabout pics. You can see the cast iron bridge spanning the Red River in the background of one pic.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-30-2008, 07:18 PM
I am used to this thread always having some posts, and stand back so others can add some great stuff. But it seems like it dried up the last few days so I thought I'd put some pics up.

These are from a heat at Alexandria Louisiana in 1978. I'll bet David Woodell was there.:cool: I don't know who a lot of these kids are from Formula 350 , but if they heard about BRF....maybe some of them will see their start. Some may have never gone on in their racing career, but I have talked to a lot of people over the years who said...."I used to race boats". Well....if you have, and want to go back to check out those days.........here is where to do that! BRF is where you go......if you want to know!:D

Jeff Lytle
04-30-2008, 07:35 PM
H-2.........wonder if that was Jim Kirts, Dan's son?

Master Oil Racing Team
04-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Could be Jeff. It's eagle eye boat racing detectives like you that keep us running round. I checked my files but as most of us did at the time, I didn't keep all the pages of the roster or the final. X is Eileen Van Steenwyk driving one of the R&B drug smuggling-bad -glue-from Mexico hydros;):D. Sorry Bill Van, but this is history.;):D The No. 23 boat is Scott Fletcher from the North Texas Boat Club.

epugh66
04-30-2008, 09:34 PM
#3 is Tom Kirts Jr in a Pugh, the boat was built as a 125cc boat, but they ran an 80 on it instead. It new at Constantine, Mi. earlier that year. H2 is indeed Jim Kirts. The boat was a Terrel(sp?) Those boats were always finished in a smooth coat of polyester resin.

Wow, another Hedlund photo! I guess that just further shows that East Tennessee and the North West have a common group of "individuals"

Are you sure that top photo is Alex? It looks more open and less green than I remember...but then I was real fast too ;)

Jeff Lytle
05-01-2008, 04:09 AM
#3 is Tom Kirts Jr in a Pugh, the boat was built as a 125cc boat, but they ran an 80 on it instead. It new at Constantine, Mi. earlier that year.

Take another look at the transom angle on that boat! :eek:

David_L6
05-01-2008, 05:12 PM
These are from a heat at Alexandria Louisiana in 1978. I'll bet David Woodell was there.:cool:

No doubt, I was there. I've missed very few races at Alex. The ones I've missed were all due to work. In 1978 I was 15 so work didn't interfere like it does now.

Are you sure that top photo is Alex?

I think you're correct Eric. I don't think that's Alex in the top photo. Lake Buhlow isn't deep enough to float that pick up boat. :eek:

fourblade50
09-18-2008, 06:50 PM
This is a great photo. An OSY400 heat of racing. 2 boats catch a a gust of wind at the finish line.

Can you Name:

1) The event?

2) The Drivers?

3) The Year?

Photo by Jean Tennell

David i think it was the pro national im thinking 2000 but cant remember the drivers

Master Oil Racing Team
11-22-2008, 09:56 PM
I've been slack on some of these photo threads. I need to call Pete DeLackner. He said he had more photos than I did and its been more than two years since he said his daughter would turn on his computer and teach him how to use it.;) Here are some from the Pro Nationals at Alex in 1979. Pete's stuff goes way back on the West Coast. I need to awaken my challenge to him. I want to see some of Pete's photos. (I'm hoping he is lurking around here):cool:

Master Oil Racing Team
11-22-2008, 10:37 PM
A few more photos from Alex 1979.

David Weaver
11-23-2008, 05:02 AM
Wayne,

I also enjoy looking back on "the good ole days". That is just a super shot of Mal Hardin in his 250 hydro. I recognize (I believe) #66 Jimmy Aderholt, V-12 Barry Anderson with a Quincy Z. Who is F-67 in 250?

Master Oil Racing Team
11-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Jim Stone was driving F-67. I am going to have to replace my scanner soon. Although the film is not as sharp as didgital, I am having to "sharpen" the scans more and more. Anything that is blown up just a little is getting to look very bad. But, I figured better to post them than trash them, because it might cause someone out there to make a comment or bring up some history. Like you asking about F-67 David. I didn't know that was Jim until I looked it up on the roster.

Danny Pigott
11-23-2008, 05:15 PM
F 67 was jim stone's boat # when he ran his own boats. when i meet jim he was running pinner hydros an A an B loopers in 1970.Look at the way he is holding the steering wheel at the botton he is the only person i ever saw drive that way.

Bill Van Steenwyk
11-23-2008, 07:14 PM
I really did not know Jim that well in the early 70's time frame, but is it possible that as Danny mentions, the pictures of him are in his own boat in either A or B but he may have been driving for Elmer Grade at the same time in the larger classes. I don't remember after all these years whether Elmer ran the smaller classes under C or not.

The reason for the question is that if you look at the color of the coveralls Jim is wearing, they are the same off color green coveralls that Elmer also always wore and that color also was close to what his boats were painted with contrasting with natural wood finish. Just saw one of his old hydro's at Lake Alfred for sale.

Makes me wonder if he (Jim) was maybe driving both his and Elmers equipment at that time.

Master Oil Racing Team
11-23-2008, 07:37 PM
I did not remember F 67 being Jim's number Danny. Thanks for your input. I am in a hurry right now so I didn't do a close check, but I think Jeff Hutchins was driving for Elmer at Alex. This is the last batch for Alex '79 for now. Plenty more to go. We blew our C Konig before the finals and sold it on the beach as is and quit 500 hydro. So I got these pics in the finals.

cthirlby13
11-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Just wondering if for sure that is ed thirlby in the M-4 runabout and if so kind of motor is he running?

Collin Thirlby
"Team Green"

Master Oil Racing Team
11-24-2008, 03:14 PM
It might be Ed, Collin, but I'm pretty sure it's Todd Brinkman, Jr. He and Ed were in the same qualifying heat, but Ed didn't make the finals. Todd scratched V88 in the finals and instead drove M4. The motor is one of the C Service "Mercs".

Tim Small
11-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Jims number was always F-67. When he started driving for Elmer he kept his 250 hydro for a year or so, then he sold it and I drove the 250 from then on. I always painted and lettered Elmers boats. I still see him and he is still as sharpe as a tack. I just got my password back and will start posting if you are interested in my days with Jim and Jeff. We always traveled together and had alot of fun until Jims death. The reason my boats are green today was because of the green boats we ran back in the day. Elmers Fleet was our trailers name. The lettering read Jim O Stone, Jeff O Hutchins, and Tim O Small, Elmers wife was Grace Grade, a real irish lady. She wanted everything green, and Elmer always made sure that it was.

Danny Pigott
11-24-2008, 05:58 PM
If i recall this right Elmers trailer also had (if you are not irish fake It )on it. that was a nice looking rig.

Master Oil Racing Team
11-24-2008, 06:16 PM
We are very interested Tim. I think I can speak confidently for the PRO division. I have enjoyed reading your previous posts and the insights you bring from the inside. It's a good thing you got your password back to be able to post again. It was good seeing and talking to you at Lake Alfred, and to my surprise also Jeff Hutchins.:cool: I remember that trailer, but I never knew that you painted all that stuff. What I remember most about you from those days was being blasted backwards from shrapnel that was slung from a magneto breaking apart.:eek::(

Master Oil Racing Team
01-03-2009, 10:24 PM
It's late...& I'm tired. I forgot where I post the OPC pics so tonite...they go here. These are from Baytown, Texas 1974. It's the same place they race now.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-20-2009, 09:08 PM
....& neglected my boat racing family. Since the total collapse of drilling for oil and gas I have almost caught up with government paperwork, and I decided to take a break. I didn't know where to start so I just went into the darkroom and picked up a binder laying on the floor (I had so much stuff crammed into my corner that Debbie had that look:(.) I just moved everything into the darkroom, but only filed the papers--not the binders (not to mention that it is a work in progress;).

The top binder was my "Miscellaneous Outboards" named binder. Unfortunately, it's not very thick. I just picked out this first page and scanned these pics. For the historians this is an AOF race at Marine Creek Lake near Fort Worth, Texas that took place in August of 1978. Some people I knew.....most I don't. Unfortunately, the only modified races we had in Texas were at the topmost, and in Oklahoma. Hope some of you can put the names to the pics.

wboxell
02-21-2009, 07:50 AM
34-H is Mike O Brien

Master Oil Racing Team
02-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks David and Bill. Here are some more. Another of Larry. I didn't remember Mike O'Brian being there, but then again, I didn't remember Curtis dumesnil being there until I looked at the pic just before I scanned itl

wboxell
02-22-2009, 05:22 AM
55-H is Jeff Linenfelder(sp).

Wayne, see if you have any pics of a Butts boat with a 3 cyc OMC on it. I think that was the year I loaned my EMH rig to Jeff Young (A/B driver) so he could run it, and try to sell it for me. Needed to feed my alky habit! :D bill

MarkD
02-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Wayne

You posted some photos above from the Winona, MN pro nationals in 1976. I won the 125cc hydro class there and you took some photos and wrote an article for Powerboat magazine about that race as I recall. Do you have any shots left from the 125ccH race ?

Mark

David Mason
02-27-2009, 12:31 PM
I was at the Marine Creek Lake race in Fort Worth. I recognize most of those boats, but I was to young to remember names. I do recognize Mike Obrian of course, because he continued racing for some time in Mod. Did you guys see all those old Hedlunds ! I remember a ton of those baots at the Mod races when I was a kid. Some day I am going to clean out our phtograph bins and try to get them scanned. I bet we have thousands of pics from so long ago to present. With the digital age upon us it is much cheaper than film now ! Easier I hear to get them onto the computer too.

Thanks for your contributions, I truly enjoy seeing all your pics.

Dave

Master Oil Racing Team
02-27-2009, 09:47 PM
....I gettin' behind more than caught up. Art & Nancy Neadeck are down on the Texas coastline and Tim and Ann Chance are coming down soon. I haven't connected with either yet. But it's great to hear from you guys.

First ...Mark. I do have more pics from the 1976 nationals at Winona. I was busy trying to get a trifecta of a Worlds, Kilo, Nationals, plus competition record in 700 hydro in 1976, so I enlisted the services of Stan Schmidt, sports editor of the Winona Daily News to write the Powerboat story for me, while I covered the photos. I have to check back on my notes from then, but I seem to remember also that you set a record at Yelm that same year. Check the archives here because I posted a B&W mug shot of you from that same year. I will look back to see what I might have, but in return, I would like you to tell us about that race. When I first saw your post about Len Keller and responded, I thought that was you. & again I say...tales from the days of working in the Keller shop would be appreciated by many.

David...I've got a few more to post. Some color, some B&W. You are right about digital. Joe Rome and I always talk about what we could have done with video's, DVD, digital photos, computer downloads, etc. It would have been fantastic. But the next best thing is that the digital world lets us scan the old stuff without a lot of hassle and really good results. You can make some of the old pics even better. So David...DO IT! Get a scanner and start sending us some of those thousands of photos. I remember your family from the racing days before I quit, so I know you've got some good stuff. Put up the photos along with the tales.:cool:

Master Oil Racing Team
05-24-2009, 09:41 AM
....the name says it all. This series was from the 1974 PRO Eastern Divisionals at Winona, Minnesota. I don't recall whether or not the race had actually started yet or they were milling before the start when Jerry Simison's motor quit. I couldn't find who was riding deck, but it looks like he was about to take his helmet off before he tried to restart the Konig. Since no other boats went by during that time, I assume it was prior to the start.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Can't believe it's been that long since I posted a picture here. My favorite is Random Shots From the Pits, but I picked up a binder and this is the first pic I saw. Don't know who it is. Looks like he is chasing Bruce Nicholson. It was taken at the Pro Nationals at Hinton in 1977.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Is this Skip Birbarie? It is at Hinton also in 1977.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Dave...who is this? Hinton Pro Nationals 1977.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-27-2010, 09:33 PM
The legendary Jane Smith at the Pro Nationals at Hinton, West Virginia in 1977. Jane was the first woman racer I read about when I first started racing. I later met her and Ralph...and their dog. Great people. I wish Henry Shakeshaft would get on here and talk about his Mom and Jane. He was close to Jane, and he has lots of untold stories about his Mom Elenore.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Here's one of Malcolm Harden on the outside, but who is it on the inside? Hinton Pro Nationals 1977.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-27-2010, 09:56 PM
One more...who is this rookie 26 F? Hinton, West Virginia Pro Nationals 1977.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-27-2010, 10:12 PM
last one for tonite. L 11. I should know who this is, but I don't. Once again, Hinton West Virginia 1977.

David Weaver
02-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Dave...who is this? Hinton Pro Nationals 1977.

I believe that is Don Wood's from West Virginia. He ran 500 and 700 if I recall correctly. Only saw him race a few times.

Amateur Photog
02-28-2010, 08:21 PM
One more...who is this rookie 26 F? Hinton, West Virginia Pro Nationals 1977.

Wayne,

That rookie is Frank Milner. He was running John McCorvey's 125 Yamaha engine. John had an opportunity to run the Konig that belonged to Walt Blankenstein, so he lent his to Frank. John designed the boat, he and Frank built it. Gary Pugh won that year in 125 (M). Frank finished 2nd.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks Jean.:) That's more added to the history.:cool:

Danny Pigott
03-03-2010, 06:51 PM
This didn't scan too good. #54 Ted May, I wish i would have known Ted from all i have read about him. Runabout is Jeffrey Reins from Ore. This race was the 1988 Winter Nat's. Ron what kind of boat is that a Scottie, it almost looks like a glass boat

David Mason
03-04-2010, 11:23 AM
1st Pic - Dad (Lyle Mason), CMH, Kingston TN 1977

2nd Pic - Me - FEH, Wakefield, MI 2002

3rd Pic - Me - EMR, Shelbyville IL 2006

Danny Pigott
03-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Dave, is Lyle driving the boat he called CUS, like the word. I ended up with that boat after Lyle sold it and a D 40 cu MOD to a friend of mine. I ran it in DSH a couple times and my brother Robert ran it in DMH at some local races he even won a few with it. I sold it to a guy down the road that i thought wanted to race ,but was wrong. He went to one race and that was it, all he did was play after that. Don't know what happen to it. If i remember right Byers built it specal for CMH don't know why Lyle drove it in some of the roughest water i remember at the North South Championship in Cadis (sp) KY. in 77 all i remember is seeing the back of it both heats, i said d### hes got a 44 on his C boat an won both heats. There is a little more to this story i will tell later.

ferv888ipba
03-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Wasn't that Lee St. Clair's number from Creve Coure, Illinois. But always remembered him having purple boats, so might be wrong.

Ray

David Weaver
03-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Brandon Thirlby beats me to the last open spot at the first turn in 250cc Hydro during the 2009 USTS race at Constantine, MI. We had twelve boats looking for space in the first turn where there are realistically 8 lanes. All came out still running, if I recall correctly and I was plenty clean after this shower.

David Mason
03-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Dave, is Lyle driving the boat he called CUS, like the word. I ended up with that boat after Lyle sold it and a D 40 cu MOD to a friend of mine. I ran it in DSH a couple times and my brother Robert ran it in DMH at some local races he even won a few with it. I sold it to a guy down the road that i thought wanted to race ,but was wrong. He went to one race and that was it, all he did was play after that. Don't know what happen to it. If i remember right Byers built it specal for CMH don't know why Lyle drove it in some of the roughest water i remember at the North South Championship in Cadis (sp) KY. in 77 all i remember is seeing the back of it both heats, i said d### hes got a 44 on his C boat an won both heats. There is a little more to this story i will tell later.

You are right, we called that Boat "CUS" It was also the number he had because of high point, back then they allowed you C.U.S. for C hydro, DUS for D Hydro, EUS for E hydro, etc. Yes, Byers built most all of dads boats back in the day. That one had a yellow paint job on the front. That engine you see on it was used not long ago in CMH down in Ocoee FL at a Winter nationals. Dad built up one last merc C that was gonna be a real barn stormer and kick those Yamatos butt. Well we broke it breaking it in. Oh well, maybe someday we will fix it and play again. With the rules so wide open now, it is very possible to make one scream. Just have to find the right stuff.

That boat is also the boat that a pic of him was in I think Powerboat Magazine, Rusty Ray took the pic. Kind of a controvesrial pic.... It seems someones pipes were in the way of progress.

Dan, do you remeber the ribfest we always did in TN at the nat's ? My Uncle Bill would make up some of his own BBQ sauce and wwe would cook like hundreds of pounds of ribs for everyone, we used bed springs on beer cans to cook over. Those were the days...

Danny Pigott
03-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Dave i have got that pic of the pipes in Lyle's way, I think it was Karl Spondell (sp) in one of his glass Hydros. I remember ya'll used to camp on almost a island down from the reg, pits. You guys Terry Ringer, what ever happen to him after he got hurt in 76 ,i think a guy name nickles and some i don't remember. They use to call it Mason's island. you are right those were the days. I still remember you and Dale running JMH at Soddy Tn in the early 80's we still have Dale's J Hot Rod. I do remember the rib;s what a great time.

David Mason
03-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Dave i have got that pic of the pipes in Lyle's way, I think it was Karl Spondell (sp) in one of his glass Hydros. I remember ya'll used to camp on almost a island down from the reg, pits. You guys Terry Ringer, what ever happen to him after he got hurt in 76 ,i think a guy name nickles and some i don't remember. They use to call it Mason's island. you are right those were the days. I still remember you and Dale running JMH at Soddy Tn in the early 80's we still have Dale's J Hot Rod. I do remember the rib;s what a great time.

Uncle Terry Reniger is still around. I got him to the Constantine Pro race a couple years back. He had fun. We still talk about the days. He got into some serious car racing for a long time. Raced midgets and sprints. Then his son raced in the Late Models around here. He has always had his hands in the racing world. he still does help us out building engines now and again. He still knows how to weld like a pro. He does a lot of RC car racing now. 1/4 scale stuff. I let his son Mike and his kids take my rig out testing at a local lake a while back, they seemed all enthused but just never got to the point of doing it. To many hobbies already I guess.

Trips down memory lane...... the best.

sbirbarie
03-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Is this Skip Birbarie? It is at Hinton also in 1977.
Wayne,
It's not me although it's a Yale and I should know who it is; I'm not sure. It might actually be John. I'm sure Mike Schmidt would remember.

Keep all the great pic's and stories coming-I can't imagine how you remember so much.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Wayne,
It's not me although it's a Yale and I should know who it is; I'm not sure. It might actually be John. I'm sure Mike Schmidt would remember.

Keep all the great pic's and stories coming-I can't imagine how you remember so much.

Hi Skip,

Just wanted to say Hi! How is everything. You can respond to my e-mail jschubert@wi.rr.com

Mike Schmidt
03-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Skip: I was going to call and ask you.. My guess would be John R Yale. D-14 was his number and it looks like his arms. He and Franny had a B around that time. Bet it was one of Uncle Nick's Konigs.

I do remember driving under you at the start in the finals....

Michael D-1

1-D 1-US
03-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Good grief this is like old home week, we never ran together but I met u while cleaning up an old barn across the st. from u'r house [early 80's] ...I remember when John Yale started in DSH [56-57?]..bought a swift 6-D ? from Jim Loomis I think..as I remember he had quite a time for a while keeping the thing off his head. Over the years U & I & Bruce Parsons were the only racers from the town of Durham..Dion Arrigoni 1-D

Master Oil Racing Team
03-13-2010, 06:57 PM
It does look like his arms Mike...and although the profile didn't look quite right, I think you and Skip are correct and it is John. So now the question is...are you guys coming to the DePue Reunion? I figure you will Mike...but what about you Skip? And who will contact John?

sbirbarie
03-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Wayne,

One way or another I will be there! I'm enjoying the Baldy's thread too-great stuff.

Skip

sbirbarie
03-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Mike,

I remember you and Mal both telling me that you were both very close. Too bad that Mal had to take himself out to avoid the wreck. While I didn't have any control over it I've always felt bad about it.

The more I think about it I think it was one of Uncle Nick's Konigs but I can't remember how John did. My bell was rung after that wreck!

Skip

Master Oil Racing Team
11-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Here is one from the 1978 Nationals at San Antonio.

Master Oil Racing Team
11-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Tom Kirts

hutch
01-13-2011, 10:39 AM
I really did not know Jim that well in the early 70's time frame, but is it possible that as Danny mentions, the pictures of him are in his own boat in either A or B but he may have been driving for Elmer Grade at the same time in the larger classes. I don't remember after all these years whether Elmer ran the smaller classes under C or not.

The reason for the question is that if you look at the color of the coveralls Jim is wearing, they are the same off color green coveralls that Elmer also always wore and that color also was close to what his boats were painted with contrasting with natural wood finish. Just saw one of his old hydro's at Lake Alfred for sale.

Makes me wonder if he (Jim) was maybe driving both his and Elmers equipment at that time.

That was when Jim first Joined us, He was driving his own 250 and anything else I would give him.He sure loved driving. Tim small also started about the same time.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-09-2012, 09:11 PM
I had not posted anything here for awhile, and if I don't get back to it, I will never finish. I picked up my binder that was titled "Misc. Outboard Racing" and it was the one with transparencies. I picked up that one because they are much easier to do. I just pulled out the four transparencies on the top and scanned them. Some are similar to ones I have posted on BRF before, but I started putting a B on the frame so I don't duplicate them. I don't post much anywhere else because I would never get through them. Not sure I will anyway.;) But when I pulled up this thread to post these, I saw the last post was by my good friend, and one of the most laid back but fierciest competitors I ever raced against. Hutch. Jeff Hutchins. Cancer got him. I was very glad to see him at Winterhaven a few years ago. He never posted much of anything, and I can remember how glad I was he commented on the previous post. I was hoping that he would do more, but it didn't happen. I will wait to post the pictures I had scanned. I can't do that now, thinking about Jeff. Later!

sbirbarie
03-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Wayne,

Somehow I never knew of Hutch's passing until I saw your post this morning. This may be the wrong place to write this but I can't help but remember all the good times and fierce races with Jeff over the years. He was truly a gentelman, friend, mentor and one of the best drivers ever. Whenever we were entered in the same class I knew that we were in for a great race albeit Jeff would typically win out. Jeff could drive ANYTHING although, I do remember talking to him after his Mod 50 experience and he said to me; "....oh no you dont want to try that, those things hurt"!

If I ever figure out how to scan and post pic's I'm sure that I have some of Jeff and his inimitable (unmistakable) style. I only wish I had replied to his posts here when I saw them. If I had to pick the top 5 drivers I ever competed against or watched, Jeff would be high on the list. RIP Hutch!

Skip Birbarie

Master Oil Racing Team
03-10-2012, 08:28 AM
I agree with you completely Skip, A few years ago before Jeff passed away, Joe Rome and I got on the subject of Jeff. It might have been shortly after he signed on with BRF. Anyway Joe and I both agreed that Jeff was a driver's driver. In other words someone who held the respect of others he competed against and had all the qualities they knew it took to be a champion, and have fun doing it. No dirty tricks, No unsportsmanlike conduct if things did go the right way. Jeff was very laid back. He also had a stealth quality about him that was so amazing. He would sneak up behind you and be gone before you ever knew he was hiding in your roostertail.

Please learn how to scan Skip, and put up some photos and stories. It's not that hard. You just have to jump in and do it.

sbirbarie
03-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Perfect description Wayne. The only other adjectives I can add would be modest and humble. Never one to revel in his glory and always glad to share his knowledge, as were his dad and brother Bill. A true legend.

I will start digging through my "stuff" and post more soon. Keep up the great work I'm sure I speak for many who also marvel at your recall, photos and stories.

jrome
03-10-2012, 09:13 AM
You are right . I never hear Jeff blow his on horn. If you coundnt get along with Jeff you had a problem.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Perfect description Wayne. The only other adjectives I can add would be modest and humble. Never one to revel in his glory and always glad to share his knowledge, as were his dad and brother Bill. A true legend.

I will start digging through my "stuff" and post more soon. Keep up the great work I'm sure I speak for many who also marvel at your recall, photos and stories.

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but Skip, did you get/see the information about the reunion? e-mail me at jschubert@wi.rr.com

Master Oil Racing Team
03-10-2012, 09:15 PM
The only Hutchins I ever knew was Jeff, although I know Bill was racing at some of the places I raced at the same time. Most specifically... Lakeland, Florida because I saw his name in the same results. I never met his Dad either, but the Hutchin's family should have their own thread on the encyclopedia. I don't know enough about the family to start it. I hope someone who does will.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-15-2012, 06:47 PM
These are the pics I was going to post when I suddenly came upon Hutch's last post. The family now has there own thread. Check it out, and please add to it if you have something.

These are from Lake Charles 1979. It was a Professional Poweboat Association event oraganized by Bill Seebold and Lee Sutter, amongst others on the ground. These were part of a group with bad lighting as the sun was going down. Don't like to toss anything historical so I tried to make something out of these pics.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-20-2018, 09:09 PM
Can't believe it's been that long since I posted photos here. Just scanned these an hour ago while looking for some other photos. These were some years after I retired, but I took a lot of photos. Don't know exactly where yet because I didn't write in the venue or year. I think it's Lakeland in 1993, but not sure. Like to have input. What I have looked at so far don't remind me of Lakeland, but when I was there, I took a lot of pics from a boat and not from the pits, so the background is not familiar.

Jeff Lytle
05-21-2018, 10:26 AM
Thanks for posting Wayne. Still love the lines of John's hydros.
Looks like Treb picked up a win that day.

crewman060
05-21-2018, 01:41 PM
got home and looked at pictures on big screen.james aderholt doesnt look much different now than then.excellent photos as always Wayne.

Pete Nydahl
05-22-2018, 03:32 PM
These pics are from the very early 80's.If they are from Lakeland,it's probably the 1981 PRO Nationals
N-66 Pete Voss in a John Yale hydro
F-8 Trebor Billiter 500cc Yale hydro
N-33 Chick Larose 250cc Butts
E-18 Macolm Harden 250cc Butts
F-888 Tim Small driving Elmer Grade's 250cc Yale
H-4 Dan Kirts driving a very early Schumacher

John Schubert T*A*R*T
05-22-2018, 04:31 PM
These pics are from the very early 80's.If they are from Lakeland,it's probably the 1981 PRO Nationals
N-66 Pete Voss in a John Yale hydro
F-8 Trebor Billiter 500cc Yale hydro
N-33 Chick Larose 250cc Butts
E-18 Macolm Harden 250cc Butts
F-888 Tim Small driving Elmer Grade's 250cc Yale
H-4 Dan Kirts driving a very early Schumacher
I agree Pete that the F888 is a Yale but both pictures have a 4 cylinder on the transom. Most likely it was Jim Stone driving for Elmer as yes Tim just drove the 250

Master Oil Racing Team
05-22-2018, 06:25 PM
Pete, you just jogged my memory. I did go to the 1981 Nationals at Lakeland, but it wasn't at the regular race course. It was some course I had never been to, and there was some kind of large open air structure where a party was held. I was by myself. Other than racing in Europe, this was the first race I ever attended where no one from my pit crew attended including my Dad. I was planning on doing a story for Powerboat, but I was kind of bummed out because of things going on back at the business, and with all the south texas heat my negatives developed to fast, and my notes were not good so I didn't do it. I didn't even label the negative pages. I had only one boat that I carried on the top of the Suburban. It was a D Konig that Ron Anderson reworked for us and was the last and most powerful engine we ever had. Unfortunately I had a broken flywheel (only time that ever happened to us) and I bought a new one from Scott. When I tightened it down, it was too long and mashed down against the crankcase. The engine would not rev at all. Took a little while to figure it out, and by that time all I could do was have somebody ground off some metal for me. Got it running, but I was so out of shape I could not keep up with Jerry Kirts. I only made two more races before I was done.

John, you are not correct about Jim. Elmer Grade was firmly behind Hydroplanes International and our quest to bring international racing to the U.S. Jim was in his qualifying laps for the UIM OD World Championships at Laredo, Texas when he was killed. Also, Jim did not set that way in a boat. He was more wedged in to the right side with a leg back behind him. Could be Jeff Hutchins, but I'm not sure when Jeff started driving for Elmer.