PDA

View Full Version : Our Fred Miller...

Ron Hill
12-05-2004, 08:49 AM
Why I said OUR Fred MIller is that there is another Fred Miller that worked for and raced with Tom Gentry.

I e-mailed Freedy and asked for a Hall of Champions list. He sent the list, which I will post...

He also sent this picture and a1969 Havasu Classic program...

This is 1966, Fred Miller at the wheel of a 17' Glastron, he and and the late Paul Kalb drove this OMC Powered rig to fourth out of 126 boats...

Ron Hill
12-05-2004, 08:52 AM
This is the Freddy Miller I was use to seeing behind the wheel. Fred has merged his Pro Tunnel Tour with Champboat this year and is working with or for Champboat.

Fred has done a ton for boat racing, his greatest achievement, in my opinion, is the APBA Hall of Champions. He started it, he babied it, and as usual, his undying loyality has continued the Hall of CHAMPIONS since 1974.

Mark75H
12-05-2004, 08:54 AM
I'd like to see Fred sign up and become a member here. He has much to contribute.

Miss BK
12-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Shoudn't the APBA website be first with the HOC list? I asked for the list a couple weeks ago and was told to wait. :confused:

Ron Hill
12-05-2004, 10:16 AM
One reason for this website is some of us what to add to the SPORT NOW!!!

I've given up with the could, woulds and shoulds... You lived in Region 12 when I was one of the MOVERS and SHAKERS in our SPORT. I want to give back to my life long sport and I'm going to do it!!!

AND with help fom you and several thousand others, we will improve the sport and grow the sport...

Just got off the phone with Drexel Brandenburg, Super Stock driver from Utah. He and I are going to work together to put a capsule in his boat. I have offered my capsule mold, which I purchased from Rick Hoffman, as no charge, to anyone wishing to build a capsule. Sam La Banco has supplied me with the lay up schedule.

Gus Schade house is in view from Drexel's house. (Gus was killed at Parker in an EASY roll over...but with no capsule, an easy roll over can and has caused death. Gus is the current 2004 Super Stock Series Champion)...

ADD:

Hall of Champions: Fred sent me a list of their names, but what I really wanted was a list of accomplishments...

We can alwasy "DONATE" this site to the APBA Historical Society!!!!

Ron Hill
12-05-2004, 10:26 AM
Miller sent me this Propeller Magazine, too!!!

Didn't show the whole article, but it mentioned welcomed guests, Blake and Hank Bowman and Son, Craig, who took home third in JU!!!

Ron Hill
12-05-2004, 11:23 AM
This is me at Havasu 1966... You had a 17', I had a 16', who was getting the best ride???

Ron Hill
12-05-2004, 05:32 PM
Miller told me this story, so I assume it is true. Seems Miller was watching the Mickey Mouse Club Newsreel, 1955, and saw some kid from California in an A Runbout. Right there, that day, Miller decided he was going to race boats....NOT because it was Ron Hill, but TV advertisements are powerful..Scott Gilman told me he saw tunnel boat racing on TV and decided he could do that!!!!

Miss BK
12-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Fred faxed me the list for 2004 and I've now got them posted on the APBA site (News). LIke you Ron, I was hoping for accomplishments too.....maybe I'll get those later. They'll be coming out in Propeller Mag shortly. APBA HQ says the Reference books will be posted to the website too, with the HOC lists.

Here's my favorite picture of "Grandpa" Fred Miller:

Ron Hill
12-14-2004, 08:58 AM
This was the Havasu Winner in 1966. No wonder Miller got fourth, these guys had three motors, all with Speedmasters... No factory support and you might note, no cowlings, less weight, they we independent race teams...

Rayson Craft, 20 feet long....huge boat for rough water.. bright yellow...

Being they were from Downey area, guess Ed Lane and Russ Hill, Sr. may have had a part in the enignes!!!!

Ron Hill
12-17-2004, 11:55 AM
I won this trophy at the 1968 Marathon Nationals in Trenton, Michigan. I can't recall the details...This lady's husband built boats for Fred Miller and he had died. I was given this trophy as D Runabout Winner, I think...

Maybe "OUR" Fred Miller would fill in my blanks!!!!

Ron Hill
12-17-2004, 07:32 PM
Hi Ron

The lady in the 1968 picture was Aurielia Pratt, the wife of Vic Pratt. Vic died at
age 48, heart attack. He had built Paul Kalb and I runabouts for years.

From that point on, Lou Howard built my runabouts till I switched to Austin's,
at Craig Dewalds suggestion. I did in 77, won 3 Nationals in Dayton in 1979 with
2 different Austin's. What a thrill.

Keep up the good work, don't forget to mail back the 1966 Parker photo.

Merry Christmas, Fred Miller

Ron Hill
01-08-2008, 11:21 AM
http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?p=96442#post96442

Seems there is a thread about Miller over on Hydroracer.net

Ron Hill
01-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Seems Rusty Rae's book, Speed and Spray had a picture of George Stillwell, Sr. and Miller with the white belt...