Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parker official results for 1971 and 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winternationals picture .....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    ..... I guess I could remind him, I'm bigger, taller and handsomer than he is.
    I'll give you the bigger, taller ......
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1969 Winternational Queen

My brother wasn't very popular in APBA politics. But he was a Region Chairman, Council-man-at-Large and Senior Vice President. And loser when he ran for President.

The Golden Shores people had a bunch of cash, they bought the land for $500 an acre and were selling lots for $2,500. I think, six lots to the acre. Havasu was selling land and they were promoting the Outboard World Championships.

Somehow, the Golden Shores people "Hooked Up" with me through Jimmy Dawe. I told them lets put on the Winternationals.

So, when my brother present the Winternationals to APBA they all went nuts. March Boat racing calling it a Nationals?????

Well, my brother said, George National and Cylde Winter want to give us $25,000 for a race and my brother wants to call it the Winternationals. Well, for $25,000 in prize money APBA would let us do it once, but it wasn't a "REAL" Nationals...

This is my Ted May Hydro, VC Konig D, and the queen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was checking out the "Can" on your Konig Ron. Yep...1969.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    I was checking out the "Can" on your Konig Ron. Yep...1969.
    yup, that's what was on my "C" & "D" when I set the records at Lakeland in Feb. 1969.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

That must have started the notion of Winter Nationals. I think about that same time frame the Stocks had a Winter Nationals at Firebird Lake in Arizona.
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

Default Parker 1970 ....

This was from an article in Outboard Magazine, spring 1971.

I was completing my first lap. I had to pull my goggle down to see the inner tube wrapped around my prop.
    Going back to the picture you posted of you and Johnny Sanders at Parker 1970, do you happen to know if he is driving the Caesar Scotti 1969 Havasu winner? It doesn't look like the same paint scheme as a remember it, but I don't know why OMC wouldn't have someone running that boat at Parker after just winning Havasu.

From Powerboat, a nice shot of the 1970 (by a foot) winner .....

Name:  Stinson & Walin Parker 1970.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  95.8 KB
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Same Boat, Slow As Hell with 17's on It

Quote Originally Posted by Willabee View Post
    Going back to the picture you posted of you and Johnny Sanders at Parker 1970, do you happen to know if he is driving the Caesar Scotti 1969 Havasu winner? It doesn't look like the same paint scheme as a remember it, but I don't know why OMC wouldn't have someone running that boat at Parker after just winning Havasu.

From Powerboat, a nice shot of the 1970 (by a foot) winner .....

Johnny was given Scotti's Havasu Winning Molinari and the winning set of props, that were 17's. He waS SLOW As hell as we had 19's and 21's from Phil Rolla. OMC said, "Scotti won Havasu with those props." 4 mile lap, rough as hell, Parker 13 mile lap, pretty smooth, really!

FYI: The is Gerry Walin driving the "WINNING" wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Once "OUR" Government Changed the "Land Swindle" Rules

Quote Originally Posted by DeanFHobart View Post
    That must have started the notion of Winter Nationals. I think about that same time frame the Stocks had a Winter Nationals at Firebird Lake in Arizona.
    Once "OUR" government saved people from being "Screwed" by "LAND SWINDLERS" (They passed a law, that if you sold desert land,smaller than 5 acres, you had to GUARANTEE water for 20 years. All the land "Swindlers', including Havasu, went out of business.

I think Frank and Wanda Zorkan got "Make a Wish" to help them and they put on, what very well have been the first APBA WINTER NATIONALS FOR POINTS, AND TWO WORDS. Clyde Winters would have been proud. And so would have George Nationals.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-25-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sanders in the Molinari .....

Johnny was given Scotti's Havasu Winning Molinari and the winning set of props, that were 17's..... He waS SLOW As hell as we had 19's and 21's from Phil Rolla. ..... OMC said, "Scotti won Havasu with those props." 4 mile lap, rough as hell, Parker 13 mile lap, pretty smooth, really!.....
    Turns out that the Top 20 list I posted in post #7 is "Boats to finish & laps recorded". It isn't how the boats officially finished, it's a listing of how the boats that were running at the end finished ..... kind of a weird way to show race results! The Molinari driven by Sanders actually finished 4th, but apparently wasn't running at the end.

This listing of positions after the 5 hour mark may surprise you .....

Name:  1969 Parker 9 hour.png
Views: 257
Size:  99.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not Running At the End of 9 Hours

It became painfully clear, that the inboard's day at the Parker 9 Hour were over. So, I wrote runs for five Divisions, and offered to buy trophies for the 1973 Parker 9 Hour. Parker, was reluctant to divide the race into classes, but with my "Smooth talking" they agreed with me.

So, 1973 had 5 Divisions: Division V was any V-Drive and any outboard with full shifting lower unit (Not gearcase yet). And also VP APBA and any MOD VP outboard boat (First time MOD VP's name was used). John Stoker had Rich Hallett, himself, put a deck on some heavy V Bottom outboard and they put an new Evinrude V-6 200 HP on it.

Well, the 200 Evinrude ran like a "SONG" ALL DAY!. Stoker pulled in right at the 9th hour to get gas and was on the trailer when the race ended. They put the boat back in the water and ran the last lap winning Division V (Outboarbord full shifting lower unit and any V-Drive class).

Well, the V-Drive guys protested Stoker saying, "The rule says you have to be running at the end of the race."

The race committee up held the protest. The next year MOD VP had their own class and the V-Drive class was Division VI. That was the beginning of MOD VP.

Thread Information