Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Where The Action Is

Post Thanks / Like

It was the Dub Parker Pro Nationals,held on Lake Parker. The F-888 is Tim Small with a 2 cyl 2 pipe Konig.The other Yale has an altered number on the deck,F808? It looks to have a Konig 700 on it. This may be a boat that Elmer sold to someone? The driver does not look like Jeff Hutchins to me. I'm pretty sure Trebor Billiter won 500 hydro that weekend

Post Thanks / Like

I think Tommy Hooten was driving the F-808................and F-12 was Kristy Thompson (Shank).
    Last edited by F-12; 05-23-2018 at 07:34 AM. Reason: new info
    Charley Bradley

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I went back to look at other frames and Trebor was pumped up at the win. Reason is it was Dan Kirts who was chasing him and could not beat him. I have a half dozen frames coming around the final turn and the race to the finish, and it was Trebor first and Dan second. One of the frames I posted with two boats cornering and the boat in the back dancing the sponsons was Dan Kirts. I will try to clean up some more negatives and post more of this race.

Post Thanks / Like

Some more pictures from Parker Lake 1981 Pro Nationals
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks racingfan1 thanked for this post
    Likes racingfan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default 250cc Hydro

Malcolm, E-18, won by on time by the slimmest of margins over Gary Pugh (if my memory is correct less than 1 second over 3 heats elapsed time). Look at Chic LaRose's N-33 powerhead. I believe that is a 1969/1970 2 pipe FA which came out before the famous single pipe FA. Dad got 7th with damaged 250 engine and I got a 5th or so in 125cc hydro. My only strength was finishing all 3 heats!! We purchased Greg Hall's trailer at this race.
    Likes crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping for some comment, especially from Ralph Donald. That first boat doesn't look like one of Ralph's.... looks too long, and without a number I could not think of who was in that boat. I was also not familiar with Phil Wagner racing with long dark sleeves. Tim Butts in the number 7, the familiar 86 of Denny Henderson , and David Westbrook in his new duck taped no.4 hydro.

Post Thanks / Like

Just one tonight from the 1981 Nationals at Parker Lake, Lakeland Florida
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, the U 4 belonged to Phil Wagner. David drove it for Phil whenever Phil was able to make a race. Later, Phil let Jeff Hutchens keep the trailer, boat and motor in Florida to make more races. The hydro I was driving, I bought from Lee Sutter after he had won the 350 in Winona, Mn. It was built by Ron Anderson. I blew it over at Lakeland and it was damaged beyond repair. The number 4 hydro is the DeSilva I just donated before it was painted.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne , your pictures are amazing. I challenge any person who picks up a digital camera to ATTEMPT to capture what you did with a film camera and lens technology of the day. I still have my film camera and have thought about taking it to a race and shoot a couple rolls through it just to see how I do.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to disagree with you Dale, but there are a number photgraphers who are better than I am. Rusty Rae and the late Reid Blackburn and Paul Simison and HC Clyde from back in the days of film, and Terry Zeimer, Cameraboy and David Alaniz of digital photography of today are better in my opinion. Those digital guys have the composition and timing down. They all have the skills to do what I did with film. One advantage of digital over film is that you have the luxury of a burst of images without running out of film at a critical time, then you can delete the bad or uninteresting stuff. Plus you don't have to worry about crinkling film when loading or having to work with developing with water too hot from the faucet making it hard to get good consistent density and grain. With digital you can also make film look old or different tints with a click of a button. I still love my film cameras, but unfortunately non of the lenses I have from those days will work on my digital Nikon. Thanks for the compliment Dale, but I think a lot of the acclaim I get from people is that I was taking pictures at a time of so many great legends and boat and motor advances in a time where there were race courses all over the country and big fields in almost all classes. Pit pictures are a big reason too, and are my favorites.

Thanks crewman060 thanked for this post
    Likes crewman060, racingfan1 liked this post

Thread Information