Thread: Konig History

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This was Steve's boat I am sitting in, I don't know why. You can see the bow of my boat on the left.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a great story Ralph. I have listened to Douglas' stories sitting in his Citroen in the Pits in Berlin, and Hans' stories in his caravan at the same pits in Berlin when they were both there. I never was around them at the same time telling stories. I would have liked to just sit there listening to them swap tales. I cannot imagine rooming with them. And then on top of all that, Steve Litzell listening in. I miss that guy. I wish I could hear him telling all the rest of the stuff you guys did on your trips over there.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Wayne, Steve and I made several more trips to Berlin and Europe also. One of the the best was when we went with Stan Levendusky, I believe in 1987. We hit Berlin first and then to Milan for the 350 WC. Another good one was without Steve, when I went to Russia with Hans, Dieter and Peer and Peter in 1988 for the 500 WC. actually Ukraine today. We had a caravan of western drivers that all met in Poland and drove to Ternopil together. The Russians required that we stay together in a convoy with a police car in front and rear. Good stories, I'll get to later.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This may not qualify as Outboard History, it's about two olde pharts who had a great time attending a US Title Series race in Pleasant Prairie, Wi. Bill Hosler and I will be ninety soon, and we were planing a party in October in central Florida, like the Olde Pharts I had in Naples. But the coronavirus has prevented us from renting a place to have it. So I suggested to Bill that we fly to Milwaukee and go to the Title series race. We did and haven't had so much fun visiting with the drivers and friends since we last went to a race together. We missed some that are usually there, and especially Ray Rodda. The ladies and the rest of the Title Series crew running the race are the best at getting heats off on schedule. It rained off and on all day Saturday, but they got all the races done by 6:00. Sunday was a perfect day with sun, little wind and great competition. There was a photo finish with between two of the Thirlby boats. We got to see our Race for the Kids driver Briana Payn take third place in 175 hydro. She's getting better every race.
    Thanks F-12, Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Chris Hellsten, Ron Hill, crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    This may not qualify as Outboard History, it's about two olde pharts who had a great time attending a US Title Series race in Pleasant Prairie, Wi. Bill Hosler and I will be ninety soon, and we were planing a party in October in central Florida, like the Olde Pharts I had in Naples. But the coronavirus has prevented us from renting a place to have it. So I suggested to Bill that we fly to Milwaukee and go to the Title series race. We did and haven't had so much fun visiting with the drivers and friends since we last went to a race together. We missed some that are usually there, and especially Ray Rodda. The ladies and the rest of the Title Series crew running the race are the best at getting heats off on schedule. It rained off and on all day Saturday, but they got all the races done by 6:00. Sunday was a perfect day with sun, little wind and great competition. There was a photo finish with between two of the Thirlby boats. We got to see our Race for the Kids driver Briana Payn take third place in 175 hydro. She's getting better every race.
    It sure was great seeing both of you there! Congrats to you and Bill on 90!!! I have known both of you for half of those years and I'm only 54!!

Chris
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill, crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dumperjack View Post
    …. not 1979 , not OE --> correctly = six cylinders and the city:linz
    fig. 1 and 2 show a dismantled crankshaft of V-six cylinders the könig-running engine.

my information (correctly or wrongly ?):

- 4 engines were built
    - 1 engine was divided and scrapped with
    - 1 engine is with one runs in the USA exploded and sunk
    - 1 engine hav a driver from the city "Hamburg" foe long time give a student (mechanical engineering) of the University of city "Kiel" - engine is missing
    - 1 engine completely unknown missing
    - the crankshaft is safe = dumperjack

to the article from 1968

könig builds the largest outboard motor of the world

the water-sportily sensation from the year 1968 the first official demonstration of the largest outboard motor of the world with 140 HP, built of könig.
    I have fund ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTrJEFbJqhA

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone.. I read some parts of the forum with interest and a bit of nostalgia. I'm not an expert to be honest, but my granfather was a pilot.
    I'm trying to understand what kind of engine is this one I post.. maybe some of you can help

Name:  aviary-image-1611819099920.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  103.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to tell with that spray shield/front cowling in the way. Looks from what I can see now is a mid 60's FA 250 cc Konig motor. If you could, remove the blue shield and take more pictures to post and post the serial number. I think it is probably stamped on the crankcase. Should start with the letters FA. Are you from the UK?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Hard to tell with that spray shield/front cowling in the way. Looks from what I can see now is a mid 60's FA 250 cc Konig motor. If you could, remove the blue shield and take more pictures to post and post the serial number. I think it is probably stamped on the crankcase. Should start with the letters FA. Are you from the UK?
    Oh thank you very much! We have a lot of old books but I coul'd find it and I'm not an expert. I lost a relative beacause of covid, and was the last person in family with knowledge in boats. I will do pics next week, when I can reach the wharehouse out of city.
    I'm from Milan.
    Thank you again for everything

Post Thanks / Like

I and many other konig enthusiasts are looking forward to your pictures and any other information you can add.

Thread Information