Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011

Thread: Hauenstein Family

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Best Steaks" in the World

Quote Originally Posted by racnbns View Post
    CRAZY ED'S
    The first place I ever saw PEANUT SHELLS 2 inch's deep on the floor.

Ray Nydahl trying to backflip his chair every time a waitress passed behind him.

The best steak in town.

Bruce
    Funny that you say that about the steaks, and I did think you were their, Bruce. Anyway, I have two theories about Arizona steaks...well maybe more than two: 1. Food alwasy tastes better when you are away from home 2. Mesquite bar-b-qued steaks are amazing.

Another Jimmy Hauenstein story: When Jimmy wasn't racing the 9 Hour, he, my dad and the "NEEDLES PLAYBOY" Olin Griswold would drink beer for 9 hours. Jimmy would go and get six beers and spit them up....When the beer was gone, he'd go to my dad and say, "Russ, it is your turn to buy beers." So, my dad would give Jimmy $20 bucks.

At the end of the day, my dad would ask Jimmy how many beers he bought. Jimmy would say, "I bought them all." Jimmy didn't lie....He just used my dad's money!

JIMMY AND MY DAD GOT ALONG FINE. One year, there were broken Evinrudes all over the pits, and my buddy from Needles, Olin, says to no one in particular, "I think Evinrude should stick to fishing.".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Funny that you say that about the steaks, and I did think you were their, Bruce. Anyway, I have two theories about Arizona steaks...well maybe more than two: 1. Food alwasy tastes better when you are away from home 2. Mesquite bar-b-qued steaks are amazing.

Another Jimmy Hauenstein story: When Jimmy wasn't racing the 9 Hour, he, my dad and the "NEEDLES PLAYBOY" Olin Griswold would drink beer for 9 hours. Jimmy would go and get six beers and spit them up....When the beer was gone, he'd go to my dad and say, "Russ, it is your turn to buy beers." So, my dad would give Jimmy $20 bucks.

At the end of the day, my dad would ask Jimmy how many beers he bought. Jimmy would say, "I bought them all." Jimmy didn't lie....He just used my dad's money!

JIMMY AND MY DAD GOT ALONG FINE. One year, there were broken Evinrudes all over the pits, and my buddy from Needles, Olin, says to no one in particular, "I think Evinrude should stick to fishing.".
    From 1956-59 in OPC Evinrude had no choice but to stick to fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I saw Fred at the Pro Nat's / Mod North Am. Champ. in Kingston tn this past weekend we had a long talk . Fred is running DMH and does well.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fred Hauenstein, Jr. 3/8/2017

Fred just got back from Monaco, he had been at a UIM meeting. He drove down from Kingsburg, I sold him some "TOP SECRET" parts.

After Fred left, it dawned on me, I've basically known Fred all my life. (73 years, his dad raced against my dad). I got Fred his first ride in OPC, 1967, I got him his job at OMC. I got him his job at Mercury. But all through those many years, Fred was a "TRUE" RACER. LIKE I reminded him, I may have gotten him the job at Mercury, but he kept it for 31 years.

We didn't talk about his brother, Jim, today. But I'm sure he was thinking about him, as was I, this June 1, 2017 will be 20 years ago that Jim was killed in Formula One tunnel boat racing.

I think Fred enjoyed his day at Hill Marine and Signature Propellers, I know I did.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-09-2017 at 08:36 PM.
    Thanks racnbns thanked for this post
    Likes Powerabout, racingfan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Article

I came across this in the January 2005 edition of Propeller i just received and thought I would add it to this thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Thread Information