Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: James Diedrich Hallum, 5/18/32 - 7/19/16

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Smitty, we followed all kinds of high performance races down here. The marine and motorcycle business that my Dad and his partner Joe owned sponsored a 250cc flat track dirt biker that won a Texas State championship on a Honda our company provided. Joe Rome and I had hooked up with Harry Echols, editor of Motorsport Magazine, and he got us into all kinds of places. USAC, NASCAR, AMA, ARCA, and we got him into APBA with Pro, OPC and Inboard Marathon racing. It was a wonderful time. I bought the best helmet I ever had from a high performance shop that advertised in Motorsport that was owned by the owner of the New Orleans Saints. We lived anything and everything that was racing in those days from Indy, Nascar, AMA in the Astrodome and all the boat racing venues we went to in those days. I can clearly remember I was riding with Steve Jones in Corpus Christi, Texas when news came on the radio that Peter Revson was killed in a Formula 1 race, I believe maybe at Nurembergring in 1972. It was before Mario Andretti drove F1, and Peter was to only American driving on the circuit in those days. Steve and I glanced at one another, then became silent. Steve drove on for a little bit before we talked about the death of Peter Revson. We had just left Grunwald Printing on Morgan Street only ten minutes earlier on the way back to Steve's house. We had sat down with a sales rep at Grunwalds going over the layout of a boat racing program. We had a number of ads, the sizes, the photos we wanted, the text, the pages where spectators could pencil in the results, the names of the drivers, classes, boat numbers, how the start was, flags, scoring, names of the officials, and everything needed for a good program. They had been doing our programs since 1968, and had most of the info already. Mainly Steve and I were bringing in new photos, sponsors and some updated information. We were very high, laughing, talking about the race coming up when we heard the news. To this day it seems kind of strange for Peter Revson's death to be announced over the radio, but it had to be because he was a daring racer and heir of the Revlon cosmetic company. I went way to long on this Smitty, but there are a lot of racers that have stories to share no matter how small or insignificant that can bring us back to those days and times that were all that we lived for. We didn't think about it at the time. But someone else's thoughts can spark a fond memory. Come on guys, Tell us your stories. Even just a couple of paragraphs. People will read them.

Post Thanks / Like

Master Oil Team.
    Maybe it is possible that almost everyone in Region 10 (and elsewhere) who remained active in outboard racing simply does not have tales to tell from decades past. Being fully involved for decades might leave little outstanding to remember except for reliving a particularly interesting race turn by turn details with others who were in the race or watching. Maybe something else puts a damper on saving their ancient memories that are more than a few words past... “Remember when.....”.

You mentioned Peter Revson. His transition to racing the European circuit was interesting in that US drivers generally did not have the long, intense learning experience of the Pro drivers in the Manufacturers team positions. {Correction} I incorrectly recalled that Revson was noted in US sports car racing for building the Scarab race cars. {It was Lance Reventlow, a well-to-do contemporary of Revson who was responsible for the Scarab}. Foggy memory has it as a very nice front engined design similar to several of that type in those years. Sort of a combination of Shelby Cobra & D/E Jaguar with a little old Italian included. Maybe set in the times of the Can-Am operations by Jim Hall & Hap Sharp in Midland Texas. All covered pretty well by the new magazine “Sport Car Graphic” which was more focused on the details than Road & Track which had gone adrift. The local Seattle racers were calling it Rod & Truck.

My sports car road racing days ran 1968-1976 so it was tough to see the end of Revson’s racing. The safety in chassis design and for the tracks sure took a long time to develop since those much more unforgiving years. Dan Gurney was a contemporary builder/driver near that time but his F1 cars were not quite competitive with the major constructor teams. Not much notable from the US in that era with the exception of the Shelby Cobra and the Ford GT-40 LeMans effort (primarily out of England). Fortunately, for the local amateur US road racers there was certainly plenty of events to be had almost everywhere and costs were pretty reasonable.

One last old observation:
    Outboard boat racing (and inboards) has been defined by the limitations of the hull design and power/speed. Those items are generally tied directly to the ability to purchase (or build) the proper equipment. The drivers become more capable than the hull in fairly short time frames. With the possible exception of the (older type) runabouts, a much more experienced driver will not be able to reduce lap times over that of a newer driver who has a year or two of experience, both driving the same rig. Excellent starts and being able to judge the hull’s limits for particular water conditions are generally the only advantage of more experience.

With track road racing, the much more experienced driver will almost always be able to step into a race car, (or onto a motorcycle), and run consistently reduced lap times over the driver of that machine who is in their early years of racing. As the novice gains the many years experience of that more advanced driver their lap times become similar. The natural abilities of each driver with equal experience make the only differences in the lap times if the racing machine is the same or is identical.

Outboard racing is an excellent family sport since very young people can go racing. Sitting beside water or being in it has really practical advantages over hot dry race tracks. A family is often able to have a race boat for each member while road racing families usually have one car, maybe two in smaller classes and their racing kids are adults. The go-cart and motocross racers can have the whole family racing so is good in that aspect.

I assume that as each racer group gets to that age point where mostly what is left to do is remember the experiences and tell the tales then there is little difference. Maybe in each instance the lifetime racers have less to say other than possibly important points about the racing itself.
    R.R.
    Last edited by OldRJexSea; 10-21-2017 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Scarab was by Reventlow not Revson.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I imagine there are several reasons why older Boat Racers are hesitant to post their experiences here. In no particular order they are as follows:

1. Many older folks whose stories might be very interesting are not computer literate or do not type well, or at all. I believe there are some programs available now that allow folks to just talk and the computer writes it for you, but possibly that is for e-mail only.

2. Many have memories that may have faded over time and are hesitant to put something in writing that may be incorrect in some small way and don't feel good about being corrected if that is the case. Dates, order of finish, type of boat or motor are examples of this.

3 Some might be hesitant to being thought of as "blowing their own horn" so to speak. Others might be afraid of being accused of criticizing others, or the folks being talked about taking it that way.

4. One other reason might be that some of the most interesting stories could be told by those who are somewhat introverted. I have known several that accomplished a great deal in our sport who seem to be, or are that way.

5 I for one would like to see posts by Billy Seebold. I am sure he has many stories about the "factory wars" in the 70's and the characters involved (both drivers and factory people) that would be very interesting. In fact I have told him several time he should write either a book or an autobiography.

Whatever the reasons that people are hesitant, it is a shame that more do not talk or write/post about the history of our sport. Someday a great deal of our history might be lost forever and that would be a great loss for those that both enjoy and have participated in it. That is one reason I have always enjoyed Wayne Baldwins musings about the sport, as I raced during the same period of time, and after, as he did, and know many of the same folks he describes in his postings.
    Thanks Ron Hill, OldRJexSea thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill, OLEGATORXX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Way Off Topic: Hap Sharp

Hap Sharp raced C Hydro in California. Seems, my brother may have won the race in De Anza Cove, San Diego, 1953. He was from Texas, and the next time we heard about him, he was racing cars with Jim Hall.

HAP SHARP WAS C HYDRO NATIONAL CHAMPION: http://www.historicracing.com/driver...?driverID=1496
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 10-20-2017 at 09:30 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This applies to me. I am a hunt & peck typist.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    This applies to me. I am a hunt & peck typist.

Being the religious person you are, I would call how you type the Bible System, "Seek and ye shall find".

As we have discussed in the past, any time you want to post something that requires a lot of typing, it can be done like we did once before.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Motorsport that was owned by the owner of the New Orleans Saints: John Mecom, Jr.

John raced a Mandella inboard Flat Bottom. Is that the guy you bought the helmet from Wayne?

I got a "B" in typing in school. I used to drive the teach nuts because I looked at my hands. I was one word away from an "A" in speed, 100% no errors on our final. He gave me a "B". Mr. Simpson said, "If I didn't look at my hands, I'd have been faster." I told him, "If I don't look at my hands, I don't know what I'm typing."

Typing class as a Sophomore was very good for me. I learned very quickly that a hand written assignment, no matter how well I wrote it, got a "C". Any typed assignment, no matter if it was piss poor, I got at least a "B".

We used to say about INBOARDS, "If it don't go, chrome it." But pretty sells. Turn in a piece of junk paper, typed, in a nice folder, smile when you turn it in......You got an "A", especially if you sat on the front row.

Wally Cleaver learned how to be the Beaver's brother from me, trust me!

I'm just a fast "HUNT and PECKER".

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Very Interesting Gearcase

I remember looking Gerry Wallin's boat over at the Modesto Kilos. Many things went through my head. The main thing at the time was a "B" (350 CC) going 100 MPH.

I thought then, and I still do, this was a "D" Quickie, shaved to a "HATCH" as my dad made one like this when he put his 60-42 Evinrude on a "D" Quickie. Quickies have built in "KICK OUT", my dad never liked that. He liked things running parallel.

I can't tell from the picture but wasn't the motor bolted straight, and the rudder was moveable.

I got several cleavers from Cary, for Lon Stevens, when was breaking F Hydro records. They looked a lot like this propeller.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe Rome is the one that told me about John Mecom's race shop Ron. It was new and close to where Joe's shop is on the way toward downtown Houston. I bought it from a slicked up version of a used car salesman that knew racing and the finer safety points of head protection. The Premier helmet was three times better and was more comfortable than the Bell. The main thing about the fit after I started racing C, D and F hydro was that at high speeds when I looked to the left or right to see who was chasing me, the helmet didn't shift. It stayed exactly in the same place as when I strapped it on. The Bell was OK for a number of years racing A and B hydro and runabout, but the insides kind of compacted and when I started driving the bigger classes, the helmet would shift when I looked around. I always strapped up very tight, same as with my Gentex jacket, but it didn't make any difference. At the time I had in my mind Bell was the best racing helmet ever made. This salesman at Mecom's racing shop showed me in detail the difference and he was right. The very best helmet in those days.

Bill Van had some very good points Russ. In fact, I think he covered most of the reasons why the boat racers do not get on BRF to write about their experiences. In one case for sure I know about and Ralph Donald admitted......he doesn't like to type. Joe Rome is the same way. Joe will respond more often than Ralph, but he doesn't type fast and doesn't want to, yet both these guys have told me lots and lots of stories. You can set down with them and talk hours on end about not just the current racing stuff, but go back thirty or forty years talking non stop about interesting stories.

And as Bill Van also mentioned, many don't like to toot their own horn. It's a generational kind of thing like the men who served in WWII who don't talk about their service. I think Homer Kincaid was one who would not post about his racing experiences on BRF as well as Rich Fuschlin, Tommy Christopher, Jerry Simison, Bill Tenny and as Bill Van mentioned Billy Seebold. And add to that...the Harrison and Kirts and Eldrige families. There are many more out there besides the ones I named.

I have received photos and stories from a number of old racing friends that want me to tell their stories as if I got the information, or if they were not able to do it themselves. I have posted some, but others have sent so much information and photos that I have not had the time to do them justice. Ron has gone through the same thing. He has posted many, many stories and photos that have been sent to him to get posted.

While I relish every word you write about your experiences Russ, I have to disagree with the fact that some of the old timers really don't have much more to say and there is little differences about their experiences. To me each milling before a start, trying to get where you want but settling on where you could be and try to hit the start as close to full throttle you could be is a different experience in every heat. Every heat is different in where you are and who you are sandwiched between on the way to the first turn. Who's inside? Are you sandwiched in the middle and trying to avoid all the spray? Way outside because everyone charged the first turn too hard and spray was everywhere...maybe there's a hole left inside from all the others swinging wide? Lot of things going on every race. Sometimes a boat climbs upon another or maybe some crew could switch powerheads between heats, or maybe someone started to blowover, then came back and won the heat. There are a million ways for someone to remember a race, a heat, a great place to race, or just getting there and back. And these are stories to be told Russ. And there are people out there to tell them, whether they do it themselves or someone like me or Smitty does it. A number of years ago Smitty asked me about both ourselves interviewing famous racers from our regions and posting what we were told. I was very busy at the time, and I'm not a news type of guy that knows how to interview anyone. Nothing came of that, but we continued our connection. Smitty got you to join BRF and post some very interesting facts about your limited dealings with outboard racing. It was fantastic, and we wanted more. You told Smitty that you had nothing left and we encouraged you for more, and Smitty was pushing you saying that he knew what more you had. And, in fact, Smitty was right as you have proven yourself to add more good stuff to this thread. So I say to you, and I think most other members would say, keep up with your experiences, and the motorcycle and car experiences are very welcome here.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Conclusion

My last speculation was about why there may be a lack of boat racing stories worth telling by folks who spent a large portion of their life enjoying the racing action; I tried to imagine how that might happen. Over decades of racing, each person and their contemporaries have many many memories. My guess was that a large portion of those memories would best fit into a scenario where the racers involved in those many repeated events were speaking to each other, reliving an experience each had and involving the other person. Those are quite personal experiences and most meaningful to those directly involved.

Another notably outstanding event memory may be worth writing because it illustrates some sort of important detail and is probably what the Forum is mostly about. That is also my guess.

My overall end comment in that writing was speculating that, in each type of motor racing done for a major portion of a lifetime, the people who finally are no longer racing (for whatever reason) have a very large set of personal, probably enjoyable, memories but those folks in general are similar in their choices of stories to tell. They may be very selective, very reserved or silent. In that respect, all motor racing (and maybe any type of racing) may be quite similar. A possible metaphor of “... been there, did that forever, good times,... gone fishin’..” may fit.

The real issue of a struggle to put personal thoughts to text is without doubt a problem. Bill Van S correctly lists the better set of reasons for that effect including those of typing and using current systems.

The handy feature of the BRF Forum that can be useful for any speed of typing is that the story can be typed off line using any text editor or writing program and taking as much time as needed to finish. Any saved text can be worked and reworked without time limit unless there is some time limit on the computer itself. It is bound to be a real chore to hunt-n-peck type for a long time but a worthwhile story can result. That saved text, copied using a menu “text only” option will easily “paste” into the thread Reply window you have opened. You can fiddle with it there if you wish and if you use the Advanced reply option you can add a header title.
    My guessing continues with the thought that few Forum contributors do not already know this.
    Whizz--Bang, log in, open whatever reply window needed, paste, done, gone.

I did, and still do, have very limited amount of tales to write about as I have explained to Smitty. Those and a couple added are pretty much done now. I do not think there is much left that would not drift into unneeded opinion.

Jim Hallum mailed a set of three DVD’s to me several months before he died. Today I discovered that my current iMac OS (still several generations old) does not have the easy disc copy feature of the previous OS. My plan is to make a couple of copies. One set is promised to Smitty and the other will go to Boss Ron Hill so he can enjoy the Anzani details in first person. A worthwhile contribution. Ron’s address is on a box of A-class props sent about 2010. If necessary I will fire up the old Windows machine to do the DVD copy.

Russ Rotzler >172-R; pal Jim Price> 250-R; 1960 testing at Lake Sammamish
    1960 J&I testing L.S..jpeg

Thread Information