Thread: Raceboat and Switzer Wings

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thoughts on France wheels

I hear France won't make you a wheel if he thinks your a fast in A Hydro.....[/QUOTE]

I had a great ASH prop from France, better for me, anyway, than my Smith 'true pitch' wheel which Jeff Hutchins mistook for one of his Smith's at Dunville one day in 1972. But as you can deduce from the date that was back in the Dark Ages and I couldn't say if it has any relevance in terms of getting a France A wheel today.

There have always been many such stories about Ron France. I think they come about simply because he doesn't make props in any quantity.

That is why I'm a Ron Hill "fan". I remember how it helped stock outboard racing, and made it so much more fun, when Ron Hill started 'mass producing' competative props and selling them at decent prices to anyone and everyone! More people raced, and people raced more than they had before because everybody had a good wheel, not just a few inside well connected drivers.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Leigh Furnal

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Curtis
    Leigh was CSH National Champ in 1977, running a three bladed France wheel on one of the first boats he built. Larry Lister was second.
    Direct quote from Leigh in an e-mail I received last night.

"John,
    Tell Hill that I won c s h and that Lister was second.Lister never Won a heat.I won the 1st heat asecond the 2nd heat after starting last. Dennis Berkins won the 2nd heat.I had a Smith wheel and a short skegand the fastest c hydro there."
    Thanks
    Leigh
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tell Leigh Furnal...

Johnny,

Tell Leigh I don't take "SECOND HAND INFO" about racing facts...Tell him he has to post here himself...Then, I'll eat some humble pie....Love to hear from Leigh!!!!

ADD: Thanks for posting....

Got a nice e-mail from Dick O'Dea....

Post Thanks / Like

While looking for more ET pictures, I came across this one from Havasu.
    I don't remember what year this was.

Guess who
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    Bob--Look what I found yesterday when I was going through some of my old Roostertails
    Still the same Driver and boat today. (Not the wrecked one) Thanks for posting the photo.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The wrecked one was driven by Jan Schoonover in an attempt on the Unlimited IV record of 113.208. It was estimated that he was around 112 when he blew over.

Post Thanks / Like

The wrecked one was driven by Jan Schoonover in an attempt on the Unlimited IV record of 113.208. It was estimated that he was around 112 when he blew over.
    Kenny said that he was there when this happened and Jan was really pushing it to beat the record. Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Kenny also said that when he set the record of 113.208 mph with the dual engines with the boat in the photo that the entire boat was out of the water including most of the Speedmasters (just the tips of the propeller blades) and the engines would steam at the end of the run due to the lack of water .

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B VALACHOVIC
    Kenny also said that when he set the record of 113.208 mph with the dual engines with the boat in the photo that the entire boat was out of the water including most of the Speedmasters (just the tips of the propeller blades) and the engines would steam at the end of the run due to the lack of water .
    Bob--Jan was attempting to beat a previous record that Kenny had set--right? I didn't think it was on the same day. I remember as a kid when I first started racing, I stared at that picture a long time trying to imagine what it would be like to blow over a 112 mph. I think Gerry Walins record at that time was 132. (or was it 121?- age & memory)

A funny side story. Pete Delackner was taking a Switzer Wing, I think to his shop to repair some fiberglass damage. I don't remember who he said it belonged to, but on the way someone pulled up beside him and motioned for Pete to roll his window down. Pete did and the guy asked "Is that the Bat Boat". Rather than try to explain Pete said "Yeah!".

Post Thanks / Like

Bob--Jan was attempting to beat a previous record that Kenny had set--right? I didn't think it was on the same day. I remember as a kid when I first started racing, I stared at that picture a long time trying to imagine what it would be like to blow over a 112 mph. I think Gerry Walins record at that time was 132. (or was it 121?- age & memory)

A funny side story. Pete Delackner was taking a Switzer Wing, I think to his shop to repair some fiberglass damage. I don't remember who he said it belonged to, but on the way someone pulled up beside him and motioned for Pete to roll his window down. Pete did and the guy asked "Is that the Bat Boat". Rather than try to explain Pete said "Yeah!".
    That was a previous record that was set by Kenny with 2 engines at 113.208 mph. The speedmasters used for the runs were overdriven units. When the 3 engine record run was set up they tried to place a 10 hp engine in the center for the third engine for less drag and were told this was not ethical so the regular engine was placed in the center for the third instead and ran 109.756 mph. 2 engines are faster . The Switzer Wings always reminded me of a P 38 Lightning with the twin tails and front, But that's me
    Last edited by Mark75H; 05-22-2005 at 06:24 PM.

Thread Information