Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Autograph Collection

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mark Demaray

I Took this photo of Mark Demaray from Settle in one of the heats of 125 hydro as he cruised to victory at the Oly Pro Nationals at Winona, Minnesota in 1976. It doesn't matter which heat because he put in an almost identical performance in each one, winning both with only two seconds difference in total time between the two heats.

The second I took the following month under the shade trees in the pits at Lawrence Lake near Yelm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

The final one of the latest bunch I get exited about because I was able to get signatures of all three in the photo. I got quite a few with two or more signatures which is quite a deal to me since it has been almost thirty years since I was in a race boat. This one was taken in Hinton, West Virginia after the Pro Nationals in 1977. Left to right Howard Anderson, Howard Shaw and Joe Rome. This is the official turning over of the Washington state flag to official keeper Joe Rome. Some of you may have read about the flag rivalries between Regions 11 and 12 and 15 during the 70's. I think this was the final flag to be signed by the losers drivers and turned over to the victors. A followup on this particular flag. During the 2005 DePue Reunion Joe Rome handed over to Howard Anderson personally knowing that it would mean a lot to him. I wonder if anyone in Region 12 could write down the names of those in attendance who signed it and post it here. Even though you can't read them, they would officially become part of my signature collection and I woul like to read again the names of the many friends I have in Region 12.

Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is not the original picture I wanted autographed, but as I was in a hurry before leaving for the world championships and I couldn't find the other photo, I just copied this one. Ray signed it in Florida. Before I leave for DePue, I will find the other and take it to DePue where both Ray and Alan will be there to sign the photo I originally planned for.

Thanks Al Lang thanked for this post
    Likes Al Lang liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is one I've been after for a long while. I wasn't sure I would ever get it. When Al Davis showed up at the Lone Star Boat Racing Association at the Baytown Boat Club in 2006, I did not have a picture for him to sign. I had a lot of the locals, but he was in the Dallas area. I guess with all the hype I should have come prepared, but I didn't expect Tommy Posey from that same area to show up either. Nor Jim Slack from Lufkin.

Then when Joe Flow had Jim and Sean McKean, Denny Henderson, Jim's pit man Billy, and the ever elusive Dick Frye show up at Corsicana to test the "Hot Foot", I wasn't expecting to see Al there. He is a quiet reserved type of guy, but steadfast to the end. At DePue, I was finally able to get his autograph on a photo I took of him in his hydro at Firebird Lake near Phoenix in 1976. Imagine having to travel all the way to DePue to get the autograph. Well...anyway I finally got it, and here it is. Thanks Al.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a photo I took of Jimmy Aderholdt testing on Lake Catherine near Hot Springs, Arkansas in 1972. I always liked this photo of Jimmy, and I finally caught up with him to sign it at DePue. The colors are not right even though I made the copy from the original negative, but no matter. It's the autograph that I wanted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Lee Sutter at DePue in 1972. I can't think of who V-1 is. Can't tell who the inside boat is, but kind of looks like the way Jim Stone kneels in a runabout.
    Wayne, My Grandad still owned V-1 in 72 and we would have been at Depue. Possible drivers: Tim Chance, Sam Hemp, Dale or Loren, my brother Mike, or Bill Ela.
    "Sis"

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Al Davis picture I have ever seen............

This is one I've been after for a long while. I wasn't sure I would ever get it. When Al Davis showed up at the Lone Star Boat Racing Association at the Baytown Boat Club in 2006, I did not have a picture for him to sign. I had a lot of the locals, but he was in the Dallas area. I guess with all the hype I should have come prepared, but I didn't expect Tommy Posey from that same area to show up either. Nor Jim Slack from Lufkin.

Then when Joe Flow had Jim and Sean McKean, Denny Henderson, Jim's pit man Billy, and the ever elusive Dick Frye show up at Corsicana to test the "Hot Foot", I wasn't expecting to see Al there. He is a quiet reserved type of guy, but steadfast to the end. At DePue, I was finally able to get his autograph on a photo I took of him in his hydro at Firebird Lake near Phoenix in 1976. Imagine having to travel all the way to DePue to get the autograph. Well...anyway I finally got it, and here it is. Thanks Al.

...........and I can't remember who took it now. May have been you Wayne, or it could have been Denny Henderson. The pic features Al standing by the corner of a trailer, if I remember correctly, gazing out into space, possibly at action on the race course, and with his hand near his face. The interesting part of the photo has to do with what he was doing with his hand, or more specifically one of his fingers.

Anybody have that picture still around?? I would love to see it again, although Al possibly would want it to go away forever, and maybe it has if he had anything to do with it.

Maybe it will surface again, possibly here on BRF??

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Did he have on a straw hat and the picture was shot low and mostly head and shoulders shot?

That sounds like the right angle and composition, but the key is his finger. Do you know if it still exists? Would love to see it again, as it captures some of those times perfectly..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dale & Cliff Kaus - 1972

Dale & Cliff, 1972.
    "Sis"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the clues Karen, but as I read what you said it was like some one whapped me upside the head with the handle end of a starting rope. I don't have the full roster of drivers at the 1972 nationals, but I checked and Loren Kaus made the finals. I could kick myself because I saw him at DePue and could have gotten his signature as well.
    Wayne, You and I worked the silent auction at the reunion in DePue. Loren gave us a couple of "SPAM" t-shirts for the auction. I'm sure many people were thinking, "What does Spam have to do with boat racing"?
    Actually, quite a lot!

In addition to Loren, Dale and Cliff Kaus; Cliff Johanssen and Frank Earl were all from the Austin, MN area and some if not all have worked for Hormel the maker of "The ham that flunked it's physical, but won the war"!

Every serviceman whether he/she served in combat or not is familiar with Spam. In fact while loading supplies on board the ship, it was quite common for a sailor to stash a can or two of Spam for late night snacks.

Of course I would never have done that. It was against regulations!

Tasted pretty good on midnight watches, OOPS!

Next time you post one of your recipes could you use some Spam?

Thread Information