Thread: In memory of racers no longer with us:

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default In Memoriam, Fred W. Brinkman (Todd Sr.)

FRED W. (TODD SR.) BRINKMAN
    9-27-35 / 1-18-11

Todd Sr. as he was known to most of his boat racing friends was actually born Fred W. Brinkman in Springfield, Illinois, September 27, 1935. As his mother was recovering from his birth in the first minutes after the event, and unable to name him herself, his Father, Fred, did the honors by naming him Fred also. According to Todd Michael, his eldest son, his mother was not at all happy with that choice and subsequently called him Todd from that point onward. The reason for Todd is unknown, but evidently she did not like the name Fred for him, so Todd it was.

Todd started racing at age 11 in 1946 right after the conclusion of WWII, in the C-Service Runabout and Hydro classes with equipment owned by his Father ( Fred) and eventually graduated from Illinois Wesleyan University where he majored in Physics and Mathematics. He established B&B Electric in 1962, the family business which Todd Jr. and other family members own and operate today, and he retired from the business in 1991 to fishing, golf, and watching a goodly number of the male members of his family enjoy the sport of boat racing which he himself had excelled in earlier in life. Some of his accomplishments in the sport are listed below.

In 1959, at the age of 24 he won his first NOA World Championships in C-1 Hydro and then repeated as champion in C-1 Runabout, on his home course at Lake Springfield, Illinois. He then proceeded to repeat those same accomplishments at Lake McCallister in McCallister, Ok. the next year, 1960. By winning these two class championships in succeeding years, he became the first driver to ever win two World Championships two years in a row, and was honored by having his picture and a short article about the accomplishment published in the column “Faces in the Crowd” in the November 7, 1960 issue of Sports Illustrated magazine. The next year (1961) he made it a “three-peat” by racing to Championships in both classes in the NOA WC’s held in St. Paul, Minn. These championships were won with DeSilva Runabouts and both Neal and Sid Craft Hydroplanes. The motors were built by several of the top names in the sport at the time including Tommy Newton, Stan McDonald, and John Toprahanian. His props were always by R. Allen (Poppa) Smith. He retired from racing (for the first time) at the top of his game in 1964 to spend more time building his business, B&B Electric, and with his growing family.

In 1972, having B&B Electric on solid ground and growing, he decided to get back into racing again. He proved again to be at the top of his game by winning the C-1 Hydro APBA National Championship in 1974 at DePue, Illinois. During his racing career he competed and won Championships against some of the legends of the sport, including Homer Kincaid, Billy Seebold, Bud Cowdry, Bill Seebold Sr., Stan Leavendusky Sr., Stan Leavendusky Jr., and many more competitive drivers, including many other World and National Champions. His last race as a driver was at Alexandria, La. in 1976. It was a memorable event in C-1 Runabout, as fully 80% or more of the field ended upside down in the first turn. Todd escaped serious injury, with the only visible signs of trouble a chunk chopped out of his helmet by someone else’s propeller. At this point at the strong urging of his wife DeLee, he retired from driving for the final time. He had already decided to present Todd Jr. with the number one motor, boats and props, so he hung it up for good and let Todd Jr., and later Tommy, carry the B&B Electric banner at the races. One of his last races in 1976 at the Eastern Divisionals in Gadsen, Alabama was one he was most proud of as Todd Jr. finished first winning the Divisional Championship just in front of him. After his retirement from driving, his two sons, Todd Jr., and Tom, along with grandsons Tim Brinkman and Matt Hilby later on, carried on the family tradition of winning with many National Championships to their credit, three Hall of Champions inductions, and two ZAK Awards. All total over the years approximately 40 National Championships and 15 records set from the B&B trailer and the Brinkman family.

Because he was not in a boat anymore did not end his involvement in the sport. He along with Kay Harrison, Tim Chance, Tim Butts, and others, was the driving force in getting the US Title Series off the ground and running smoothly, so as to promote a professional PRO Racing program with good prize money and the drivers and equipment professionally presented . The purpose being the first really professionally promoted boat race/show by PRO category only drivers that could be sold to potential sponsors as an event they would be proud to have on their premises. In addition to the behind the scenes work getting USTS up and running, he also acted as Race Director and Assistant Referee at many of the USTS and Nationals events from the mid-80’s to the early to mid-90’s. He was also the VP of USTS for a time, and served the whole PRO Category and Region 7 as a PRO Commissioner in the mid 70’s to early 80’s. He always was one of the scorers and judges favorite officials to work with on the judges stand, as his scotch “cocktail hour” started promptly at 5:00 PM, and they could always count on him to move the program along efficiently so as to finish the days racing program on time.

Last but far from least, he was my very good friend, and I will miss him, as I am sure many others will also.

The second photo is Todd and his father Fred.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    RIP Jon Wright

I just heard that Jon passed away. Jon was a legend in outboard drag racing and one heck of a nice guy. He will be missed, but not forgotten

Jon David Wright, of Georgetown, KY, departed his earthly life on May 9, 2011 after a short illness.
    He was born March 29, 1943 in Harriman, TN to the late Mattie and Lon Wright. His early years were
    in the Dyllis community. Jon was a decorated Navy-Air veteran who performed air surveillance missions in Asia.
    He was a diligent and respected IBM/Lexmark employee for more than 40 years where he held various positions
    including administrative assistant to the CEO of Lexmark. He retired in 2005. Jon was very active and loved
    Berea Christian Church where he got great joy serving his Lord willing doing whatever was needed from teaching Bible Class,
    to keeping the lawn ship shape. Jon was a very innovative and avid speed boat racer. He designed and helped build his
    own boats and engines. On July 21, 2000, he set a new world record in his Pugh Hydro "Tinker Toy" of 156.26 MPH, 7.521 ET.
    One racing friend said, "There will surely be a quarter mile of water in Heaven just for Jon". He was a loving, caring man especially
    to those in need and to animals. Donations in honor of Jon may be made to the
    Lexington Humane Society, 1600 Old Frankfort Pike, Lexington, KY 40504.
    Survivors include his loving wife, Gina Shely Wright; a sister, Mildred McGlothin of Lexington, KY;
    brothers, Lee (Betty) Wright of Lexington, KY, Lon (Lucy) Wright of Tallahassee, FL and Charles Wright of Mecco, FL;
    and many other relatives and dear friends whom sadly miss his tender love and quirky humor.
    A gathering of family and friends to celebrate Jon's life will be held June 19, 2011 from 4-8pm at
    Equestrian Woods Country Club, 107 Clubhouse Dr., Nicholasville, KY.

Post Thanks / Like

Default In memory: Edward M. Dickerson

Eddie Dickerson:

I just received an email stating Ed passed away yesterday afternoon. Ed drove A and B Hydros and Runabouts in the late 50's.

Last time I saw Ed was at Lake Alfred in 2008. He lived in Ocala and came to Lake Alfred hanging out in the pits telling the young bucks what boat racing used to be like with 500 entries at major races.

To my knowledge, Ed never won a pro race, but he always drove his butt off.

Ed often talked about suckering Dieter Konig into jumping the gun at a race in 1957 or 1958.

I worked in the pits for Ed while I was still in high school and he gave me my first race boat.

Some of you may remember Ed charging around the pits at Lake Alfred on his geriatric scooter with the trailer hitch. Somewhere on BRF is a picture of that. I looked hard for that pic this morning but couldn't find it.

Ed told me at Lake Alfred, " I have cancer, and this is probably the last time we'll see each other".

I told him I would see him again at Lake Paradise.

He smiled and said, "Lake Paradise, I like the sound of that".

Ed, I know you're there old buddy. Say hi to Deiter. I'm sure he's forgiven you!
    Last edited by Gene East; 07-08-2011 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Omission

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default In Memory: Jim Brewster

Jim Brewster, Streetsboro, Ohio
    38-S
    BSR

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jim Caldwell

Jim and I had some great times racing and just running around......
    John Sherlock

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J. Sherlock View Post
    Jim and I had some great times racing and just running around......
    thats when is was great . B runabout a pair of Levi's no shirt and a gentex life jacket. great summer racing
    David Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jim Caldwell

We knew Jim in Southern Maryland as the Radical Yankee with respect. You never knew what Jim might come up with. 1973 was a banner year for him. Won the Nationals, US 1 and closed course recorder in the UI class. Jim later raced SST, U and Mod 50. He also built some boats including an ocean racing tunnel in his basement on the golf course in NJ, The basement was too small so in typical Jim fashion he knocked out one wall and built an extension with 2x4s and plastic sheathing. Always wondered how the neighbors felt about that.
    Jim had a wonderful mind, there wasn't much he couldn't ot wouldn't do. RIP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Malstrom Tunnel

Did Jim design the Malstron (Wooden) tunnel boat? Did he race kneeldowns as a kid?

When did he pass away?

Last time I talked to him was years ago, but he was building SUPER Yachts, or some high dollars boats...

Post Thanks / Like

Ron,
    The only kneel down I knew of him racingwas his first UI boat in '72. Don't know about Malstrom, but he did live in Sarasota for a while and I believe that is where Malstrom was located. He died about four weeks ago. The last time I saw him was in '96 when he was working with Reggie.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Orange, CA + Lake Havasu [my home away from home]
    Post Thanks / Like

Default RIP - Pete Mitchell #34

Thanks for all the memories, God Speed!!
    You can take the girl out of boat racing, but you can't take boat racing out of the girl!!

Thread Information