Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: How Fast Will A Quincy 6 Go ?

Post Thanks / Like

Another solid day of preparation on the Karelsen. I have built new transom hardware for the boat, Engine hangers and such. I built them out of 1" aluminum with three engine locations on 1 1/2" centers. Good thing too, I had to set the engine back to the middle location 1 1/2" back so I didn't have to cut the rear cowling to clear the distributor. With each new engine location I needed to machine new thrust rods (1/2"-13 Grade 8 All thread) to the appropriate lengths for each setting.
    We also had to remove the spray shield, where the coil and brain-box are attached, and build yet ANOTHER bracket in the boat to accommodate that... DAMNIT!!! Now we realized that the outer Bowden cable clamp bracket is part of the spray shield too... Don't get me wrong, the spray shied assembly works really well on the runabout but we need to re-invent all this stuff for the hydro...
    My buddy Chad soldered up a new wiring harness for the Thunderbolt ignition to run on 24 Volts, he also reinstalled the fuel tank, and then we had to figure out how to make the rear cowling high enough to cover the top carb. So after some screwing around, we decided to simply tip the back of the cowling up 5 1/2" to see how that might work... BINGO! Now I will make some removable triangular shaped pieces to set the cowling at the right height. Originally I was intending to do a removable fiberglass part to extend the top of the cowling. This is going to be waaaaay simpler than making molds to build a part for a one time event, now I will be able to use flatstock materials and it will still carry decent looking lines. Because the boat can't look stupid for this venture!

Another progress report tomorrow!

J-Dub
    Likes Al Lang liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default The r - 12

I came across this story in a Propeller magazine that I just received. Just thought I would post it here in honor of the boat. The part in the article is true , I was one of those kids that "worked " for Howard. I got to wash his boats the last two years the Nationals were in DePue in the 70's and will always be partial to the yellow and blue !. The boat has quite a history as it is the first capsule boat ever to win a PRO National!!! Best of luck with it JW.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Thanks Al Lang thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very good article Dale thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Another Loooooong day making parts for the hydro. I was able to get the engine angle and height set to where I want it, then I started machining out a new rudder and an adaptor to make my rudder bracket fit the boat properly, and most importantly, SECURELY! I felt like didn't get much done today but a few trips to the hardware store and standing in front of the Bridgeport, all of the sudden it was 7pm and it was time to go home and do a few things there before work tomorrow... I hope to have the rudder done tomorrow and I will post a picture of it.

..... More to come....
    Likes BJuby liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Getting Closer...

Attachment 61666

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see Howard, who was generally referred to as "Andy" by his Seattle Outboard friends (basically anybody who had ever talked with him!!), be honored in this way. Since this is an engine thread, a discussion of Andy's later D and F engines should maybe invoke the name of Bill Rankin, an old-timer and old racing buddy of Andy. Rankin was a very smart mechanic, and I had the impression that he was Andy's main engine-builder in the days when Andy was running a loop six. If anyone knows better about this, corrections are always welcome. Andy once told me they were having some problems related to the alky-converted Carter carbs on his six, and since I had a lathe, I said I could turn him some anti-shock mounts for the Carters. A pretty simple project really, but as a young guy doing a job for one of the stars, I was most pleased when Andy later told me that "Rankin was impressed with your carb mounts." Don't know if they ever used them, though. J-Dub??

Post Thanks / Like

Smittythewelder- I couldn't agree with you more when you say it's great that Howard (Andy) be honered like this. Was so happy when he set the 1100r record at Yelm when he called me to tell me. J-Dub you can bet Howards is grinning g from ear to ear and waiting to hear and see this rig go just like the rest of us.

Post Thanks / Like

A few photo updates.
    Name:  20170313_184708.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  116.3 KB
    Name:  20170310_185833.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  91.1 KBName:  20170311_160229.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  82.5 KBName:  20170312_165452.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  80.0 KBName:  20170312_165538.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  133.5 KB
    Likes TNT Teen liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job J-Dub. Looking at the boat I seen the tower with the quick change set up. Only seen a few of those. That was done by another great racer.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup! I have a few of those towers. I have all my boats wired for MSD, Phelon, and the Thunderbolt ignitions. That way all my boats can accommodate the Flathead, Konny, and the 500 Yamato all in the same weekend. As you know, it only takes us about 15 minutes to switch powerheads and units. But it took about 50 hours to make it all work like that...

Thread Information