Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Joe Rome: Stafford Auto Supply

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I agree with you Wayne!

Joe has legions of friends around the globe. Nothing this man does would surprise me. Joe is without doubt one of the nicest people I have ever met. Always there to help, always there to shoot a barb at his friends. You know you are friends with him if he teases you. We all love you Joe!!!
    I sure like those pictures of you, Louis and Reles. I wonder what happened to Rele's son? Always enjoyed hanging with him at Alex.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe you talked with Reles's son several months ago if I'm correct Alan. I spent twenty minutes trying to find this thread to update it, now I see how old it is.

So...skipping lots of stuff in between, since February of 2010 as you know Louis Williams passed away, Ricky LeBlac attended Louis's funeral with Joe and I and we had actually met up on Interstate 10 on the way. I had taken off near my house at the same time Ricky was leaving a job at Corpus Christi. Joe was traffic controller and after I met up with Joe and Karen in Houston, we were able to meet up for Lunch between Houston and Beaumont prior to Louis' funeral. At the restaurant Joe called up Reles and I talked to him for the last time. Louis's beautiful wife Mary asked Joe what to do with Louis' boat racing stuff. Joe told her to give the boat trailer, runabout and motor to Ricky LeBlanc which she did. Ricky did not know about this until about a month or so later when Joe called him up and asked him to make a time to meet Joe at Louis's place to pick it up. At that time, Reles was about ready to give up the ghost, but when he heard that Ricky was bringing Louis's runabout to his home in Louisiana, Reles hung on for several months more. He spent some happy moments before his end looking at Louis' runabout.

Since then I saw you and Charley Bradley get your hair cut....ouch...ouch ouch from someone who was pulling more than shearing! And I last talked to you about 4 or 5 months ago. Joe is always calling me telling me he talked to you Alan. and we always end up laughing. I suspect that is the same way with you. Joe always has a good spirit and something interesting or fun to talk about unless it's the passing of another friend. I will save what I was originally going to post so this thread can get updated.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember what I was going to post, but I do have some news regarding Joe.

Joe and John Schubert (our yankee John Schubert) can go into more detail.

Joe had called a guy he knew from South Louisiana from the earliest days Joe went to races with his cousin Sonny. I forget all the details, but one thing led to another and Joe talked back and forth with some of these guys. One of them said he raced at the APBA Nationals and was pitted next to John Schubert. He told Joe details that went back into the early 60's, or maybe even earlier. Joe called John Schubert to relay this tale and John recalled in the same detail the race. John wanted this guy's phone number, which Joe provided and John ended up having a lengthy talk with this guy.

As it turns out, the guy they talked to got all hepped up and started calling up all his old boat racing friends from the 50's. A bunch of them got excited about talking the old days and the next thing you know, they have a reunion set up. I forget when it is, but it is on a Thursday. Joe is going to attend. It's a four hour drive, and for Joe to be able to take off on a weekday, it is something he is looking forward to. I told him to take pictures. I hope John Schubert will fill in on what he knows, and how he helped spark this reunion, and I told Joe he has to give us a report. Joe doesn't type much. On the phone, or in person there is no better person to fill in the detail, but on the computer, he is brief. But here is another example of the far reach of BRF. It sparked the first Lone Star reunion in which Ron added to the historical significance, which led to the two great DePue Reunions, and now this one from the Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas region that raced fifty and sixty years ago.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    I don't remember what I was going to post, but I do have some news regarding Joe.

Joe and John Schubert (our yankee John Schubert) can go into more detail.

Joe had called a guy he knew from South Louisiana from the earliest days Joe went to races with his cousin Sonny. I forget all the details, but one thing led to another and Joe talked back and forth with some of these guys. One of them said he raced at the APBA Nationals and was pitted next to John Schubert. He told Joe details that went back into the early 60's, or maybe even earlier. Joe called John Schubert to relay this tale and John recalled in the same detail the race. John wanted this guy's phone number, which Joe provided and John ended up having a lengthy talk with this guy.

As it turns out, the guy they talked to got all hepped up and started calling up all his old boat racing friends from the 50's. A bunch of them got excited about talking the old days and the next thing you know, they have a reunion set up. I forget when it is, but it is on a Thursday. Joe is going to attend. It's a four hour drive, and for Joe to be able to take off on a weekday, it is something he is looking forward to. I told him to take pictures. I hope John Schubert will fill in on what he knows, and how he helped spark this reunion, and I told Joe he has to give us a report. Joe doesn't type much. On the phone, or in person there is no better person to fill in the detail, but on the computer, he is brief. But here is another example of the far reach of BRF. It sparked the first Lone Star reunion in which Ron added to the historical significance, which led to the two great DePue Reunions, and now this one from the Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas region that raced fifty and sixty years ago.
    Wayne,

His name is TJ Dendinger. He finished 2nd in BSH at Depere, WI in 1954, I finished 4th. He was in 2nd the second heat & I tried everything I knew at only 15 to get around him, & couldn't. I think that he told me at the time hes was 17 or 18. I never really knew him either at the nationals or after & don't even recall talking to him. We have had several phone calls since, sent pictures & articles to each other & talked about a mutual good friend Byron "Cajun" Harris. AS a matter of fact if I go to FL after the 1st of the year to visit with my family I told TJ that I'll every attempt to head to Baton Rouge first to visit with him & Byron.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks John. I knew you would fill in here. When Joe first told me about him remembering you, then you calling him and you guys remembering the race and all that, I thought that was something to talk about. Joe said he would take pictures. And he will give us details.

Post Thanks / Like

TJ Dendinger called Joe last week and is ready for another reunion. That humdinger of a last reunion that Ray Yates of Pasadena, Texas put on in 2006 spurred a lot of old time racers getting together for more than a decade now. After some pestering from a lot of Texans Ray told Joe "Okay, I will do one more Lone Star Reunion....but this will be the last one." All us Texans hyped it up so much with the advantage of BOATRACINGFACTS to spread the message, that it got the attention of Ron Hill. He came out to be with us in the final Lone Star Boat Racing Association reunion, and a fantastic turnout of PRO, OPC, Mods, and inboard racers that came from California, Colorado, North Carolina, Louisiana and all across Texas. Then came the first of the DePue Reunions, then some regional reunions such as TJ's. Joe is kind of a ramrod in helping promote, find old timers and getting them there. Good luck Joe.

Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes crewman060, Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2007 to 2018: Many In Lake Paradise Won't Make A Second Reunion.

11 years has "FLOWN" by since that great reunion in Baytown, Texas. I know Jim McKean and Pete DeLackner won't make a second reunion....

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Ron....it was great to see you, Pete, Jim and many others there. What I really liked about it most besides seeing a lot of boat racing friends from the past was when you got there and came up to my room the night before the reunion. We had met one another before and had crossed paths at DePue and APBA Conventions, but we really didn't know one another. I of course had read about you for many years in Boat News, Powerboat and the Propeller. We really got acquainted through Boatracingfacts, and it was wonderful to sit down and talk face to face with a legend already by the time I started racing. Then the next morning when I introduced you to Joe Rome at breakfast in the Cracker Barrel in Baytown, that was one of the highlights of the reunion and it hadn't even started yet. You had never met Joe, but Joe knew who you were Ron. After you two got to talking, I just mostly sat back and listened. Joe knew a lot about people you talked about, and you knew a lot of the people Joe talked about. I was amazed just sitting there listening. In fact, after an hour or half or two, I had to cut in and say "We need to get out of here and head over to the Baytown Boat Club."

At the reunion Pete told me he had more pictures than I did. I challenged him and told him he needed to start posting some. He said he didn't know how, but would get his daughter to teach him or do it for him. I talked to Pete off and on over the next few years, but he never did anything about the photos. I know he has a lot, and they are good. They are mostly west coast and I think black and white. There is some very good historical photos there that I wish his daughter or someone who might have access to them could post, but I don't know who to contact. Pete and Jim were very good friends. Transplants from California. They made lots of new friends in Texas.

Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pete Delackner's Son Did Contact Me on BRF After Pete's Death

We might find some posts from him.

Pete started a boat club called C.A.N.O.E.: California, Arizona and Nevada Outboard Enthusiast. I was a "Charter" member, and I won the only race they ever had. I was on the Colorado River, near Bullhead City. A land company gave us the money, oh, it was called "Holiday Shores".

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you or someone can make contact with Pete's son. Pete did have a lot of photos that he brought to the reunion, but those were only some he made into prints. The photos were 8X10 and excellent quality. They were of the big names from the west coast. I looked at a lot of them. I also looked at Deannie Montgomery's collection. He also had a fantastic collection of the latter day Merc deflector's, the incoming Konigs, and Anzani's. These are some photo collections that no one else has seen except for the people that handled them, family and friends.

Thread Information