Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Hauenstein Family

oldalkydriver

Default Hauenstein Family

Fred,

When my dad, John Toprahanian and I used to travel up north from San Diego, we often spent the night in your dad's parking lot. I always thought it was because dad and John were tired! I think the real reason was the food. Seems your dad and/or your mom very seldom charged us.

As to the color orange, in the fifties, I remember your dad telling John that the association should make everyone paint their helmets that 'bright orange' as they could be seen easier when they were taking an unscheduled bath. Back then people had too many colors on their helmets. Wagner was yellow and black as was Manual Carnackis. Pep Hubbell and Bobby Parrish all black with white lettering, Al Brooks Jr. Yellow and purple, Don Biagio purple and white, Lou Morphy red and white along with Tommy Ingalls. Boots Morphy had red and white with 'Shooting Star' and Boots written on it. I believe Chuck Parsons was yellow and white. John and my dad had this ugly maroon or burgundy. Bob and Alex Cockburn white with a colored diamond shape in the middle. My uncle Fred wore and old high school football helmet dark on both sides with a white stripe in the middle. Walt Gillo started off with some dark color until he cloth the deck of his Phantom boat then he and deck rider went all white. Bill Cones was some copper color while Ralph Holmes was a dark brown.

Myself, I was glad to see the orange rule come in as I spent lots of time in the water for a few years.

I drove down the old 99 a few years back, and I couldn't even find the old truck stop. Of course that isn't really saying anything. I had trouble finding Lake Ming, when we last saw each other.

Good ole days. Can never get them back, but on the other hand, they can never take them out of my memory either.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-18-2020 at 12:43 PM.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey "FAST FREDDY" Thanks.....

But, this "FREE FOOD" is something that is beginning to get to me...Ed (Cheo) always fed me very well and stilll do...plus alwasy gave me more fruit than a man could ever eat before it spoiled...But Chili Sizes....Cheese Burgers??? Boyes and Carnakis always had LOTS OF MONEY.....the San Diego Boys did come a long ways...but.......Maybe, I'm getting a handle on this... Bill Boyes worked for DeSilvas (You guys had DeSilva boats...So I understand here!!!....Carnakis, and the San Diego boys all raced ALKYIES....You figured us Stocker could buy our own Chili Sizes!!!! Was this discrimination????

No, it could have been that, as your mom feed all of us, at the races, many, many times....

Did your mom ever get a speeding ticket pulling a trailer???... (She'd drive about 70, in the middle lane, pulling a trailer....Cops would see her and figure, hell she must be needed somewhere.....)....

Turth is, I don't recall eating at Fred's Cafe very often...and I never paid anyway...I let my friends pay!!!! Besides, we'd usually get there late at night and just crash....in the morning at breakfast....Don't think your mom worked that shift....

FYI to all, Fred's Cafe is just a lot on the Conejo exit of 99, now....Maybe, when Mikey moves to Kingsburg...He could open a NEW FRED'S CAFE!!!! Couldn't sell Beacon gas, it is now Valero Gas....

Freddy, PLEASE dig through you seven zillion pictures and post a few hundred....

I once stole Jimmy's cooler when Jimmy was the ONLY ONE working at the truck stop and he couldn't leave for several hours.....Oh, was he mad...cooler and ALL of his beer!!!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-03-2021 at 03:15 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ticket?

Mom used to get stopped by the CHP but was able to talk her way out of a citation. One time she told the cop that he couldn't give her a ticket because she didn't have her drivers' license with her! (And it worked.) It obviously doesn't pass down because the cops always had my ticket already written by the time they stopped me!

Fred
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Between 45 and 55 ALL DAY

My answer to the CHP's was to drive my Winnebago between 45 and 55, in the right lane all day....My driving use to, actually, still does, drive everyone crazy because I'd go so slow...But somehow, those COPS DIDN'T WRITE ME A TICKET! I always drove slow enough to make the Good Humor Ice Cream man past me.

I swear I have this image in my mind, I'm driving about 55-60 in the right lane about 15 miles north of Kingsburg coming back from Modesto, Frances comes by me going at least 70, maybe 75 in the middle lane, windows open, her long hair blowing out the window, trailer swaying back and forth like a "WILD WOMAN" was driving, with a Highway Patrol car on her back bumper.....

I stopped at Fred's Cafe just to see what the COP had written on her ticket.... Frances said, "Ticket?, I didn't get a ticket."....This was long before air conditioning... I remember thinking as I left Kingsburg, it was hot as hell, if I so much as go 62 that same CHP would give ME a ticket....I'm laughing right now, as I will always carry that image in my mind.....

Next, we talk about how the Hauenstein Racing Trailer got the tongue bent!!!!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-03-2021 at 03:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fred Hauenstein Sr. Funeral...

A very nice service for Fred today. I guess I never really knew how many people around Kingburg he'd helped.....As Fred was a humble man and would never brag about helping others...

I'd like to thank Francis, Freddy, Linda, Danny and Donny for their kind words today...After I'd collected my composure, I realized that my dad had died just three weeks before Jim Hauenstein was killed...The last time I was in a Church near Kingburg was for Jimmy funeral....

All day long I kept thinking of how my dad and old Fred were really good friends...and how good of friend Jimmy really was to me.....

Fred made a great talk about his memories of his dad....Many of his memories were much like my boat racing memories of my dad....

Many of Fred Senior's stories always ended with, "Don't tell Francis." But most of us who knew the Hauenstein's knew Francis knew everything...There were some really cool family pictures on display, but I only took pictures of the boat racing.....and Fred's Cafe.....and Fred's airplane.

This airplane is NOT the one that was hid out in Ed's barn for several years....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Hauenstein

Top picture was Freddy and Old Fred...

C-186 was Fred Sr. in C Service...

Third picture is Fred, with a starting rope in his hand...

Last one, is Freddy and Fred...but where, I don't know...

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Few More...Hauenstein

Hauenstein Boats.... Looked like a Neal hydro to me!!!

The last picture is Danny, Fred and Linda's son....Apples don't fall far from the tree....Danny is a Hauenstein you can rest assured....

And OLD FRED, I won't ever forget you.....your sense of humnor was just great.....

ADD: Ed and Old Fred use to go out a get a beer, now and then...The local cops would come and tell Jimmy where they were, so Jimmy would send a tow truck to get their truck right at closing time and they'd tow Ed and Fred back in the truck....Sometimes, he'd just have the tow truck (steal their truck)....and make them call to get a ride home.....Of course, Ed and Fred hated to call home and admit they'd had a few beers..... (Frosty Devils, you know!!!)...

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Hauensteins.

In California there are a lot of important and significant landmarks: Sequoia, Yosemite, the Pacific Ocean, and the Hauensteins. The first three mentioned didn't contribute much to boat racing. The fourth one did.

Old Fred, who just died last week was indeed the patriarch. I have a bunch of sketchy memories of Fred Hauenstein, but the first real memory was in October 1949 at Lake Mead. He beat my Dad in C Racing Runabout. They both had 6 Stud Cs. Unless you're well over 50 years of age you've never even seen one run.

So Old Fred and Francis had 3 sons. I never reallly knew Donnie, the youngest, but the other two probably should have their busts in the Boat Racing Hall of Fame as the "Hall of Fame--Hall of Famers".

To enumerate their racing accomplishments is not what I intend to do here. I just want to say that a major piece of California's and the rest of the country's Outboard Racing has just lost one of the Kings of the Sport--The patriarch of the Hauenstein Family.

Russ Hill

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Motor Goes Home!!!

Here's Fred Sr.'s Six Stud.. It will be going home to Kingsburg very soon!! 0003...only fifty were made Evinrude Racing C's...

I'm looking for my dad's Six Stud 0041.

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron,

Get that puppy running and bring it to Depue and race it! That would be the greatest tribute you could ever do. A boat can be found but not a 6 stud.

Tim

Thread Information