Thread: Fast Fred's OMC Mod 50 secrets Thread #2

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

oow, ya, never was in with that crowd, if and when i have the need talk to them, i use my Trunk monkey.

the rule posted, (i've never raced what ever class it's for), it's far from gray.

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Clearing The Air

Anthony is right, most likley. He seems to be right, and makes good arguments. For sake of arguments I will digress and bow to his memory.

I have been beat by the slowest and fastest rigs out there. That is why they call it racing. Nobody is ever 100% of what they are capabale of 100% of the time. I have seen Anthony's rig win a race or two and I have seen him struggling with it in the pits with the powerhead torn down trying to figure out what it won't run. We have all been there.

One thing is for sure, you will have the race course to yourselves in APBA this year. I am not going to try and kill myself to keep up with all that fancy stuff. I will run what I have and race with the others who feel the same. It might get lonley racing agaisnt three or four boats for you.

Anyone can bolt on HP, the trick is figuring it out inside in stock form. The bigger trick is getting the set up right and consistent. I have beat the fastest rigs in the country before because they were not consistent, and or broke down. Fast takes it toll on equipment.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Mason View Post

One thing is for sure, you will have the race course to yourselves in APBA this year. I am not going to try and kill myself to keep up with all that fancy stuff. I will run what I have and race with the others who feel the same. It might get lonley racing agaisnt three or four boats for you.

Anyone can bolt on HP, the trick is figuring it out inside in stock form. The bigger trick is getting the set up right and consistent. I have beat the fastest rigs in the country before because they were not consistent, and or broke down. Fast takes it toll on equipment.
    Amen, Brother!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dave doesn't want to let the truth to get in the way of a good story!

QUOTE "We already are going fast enough for John Palmquist to want us in capsule boats. We bump it up a few more MPH and we will be mandated by the insurance to run capsules."
    Neither of the above statements have a shread of truth in them. I have NEVER implied that I would like 850 to be a capsuled class and I do not believe 850 is going too fast. I do however believe that there are a lot of people who are exagerating their speeds the they are claimg to be seeing in the class.
    In 2008 I won in 850 the Winter National Championships, South East Divisionals, Central Divisionls, National Championships and National Hi-Point Championships. I did this NEVER seeing 100mph or more. Not in testing and definatly not in compitition. On most courses where accelleration is needed my speeds will top out in the lower to mid 90's. With the speeds that people are claiming somone would have the ability to pass me on the outside with the same differential in speeds as a good CMH vs. a good DMH. I just dont see it being possible.
    The other part of the Dave's statement that is untrue is his beliefe that speed of a class determins weather the insurance companies will mandate capsules. According to Mark Wheeler, (APBA VP) the insurance companies do not care about the speeds of classes. They do care on the number of incidences and injuries. Currently the number of both for the last half decade in the 850 class have been extremely low.
    Dave I like you as a person and I really like racing against you. But please never put words in my mouth that are simply untrue.

John Palmquist

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mistaken

Quote Originally Posted by Racer's Edge View Post
    QUOTE "We already are going fast enough for John Palmquist to want us in capsule boats. We bump it up a few more MPH and we will be mandated by the insurance to run capsules."
    Neither of the above statements have a shread of truth in them. I have NEVER implied that I would like 850 to be a capsuled class and I do not believe 850 is going too fast. I do however believe that there are a lot of people who are exagerating their speeds the they are claimg to be seeing in the class.
    In 2008 I won in 850 the Winter National Championships, South East Divisionals, Central Divisionls, National Championships and National Hi-Point Championships. I did this NEVER seeing 100mph or more. Not in testing and definatly not in compitition. On most courses where accelleration is needed my speeds will top out in the lower to mid 90's. With the speeds that people are claiming somone would have the ability to pass me on the outside with the same differential in speeds as a good CMH vs. a good DMH. I just dont see it being possible.
    The other part of the Dave's statement that is untrue is his beliefe that speed of a class determins weather the insurance companies will mandate capsules. According to Mark Wheeler, (APBA VP) the insurance companies do not care about the speeds of classes. They do care on the number of incidences and injuries. Currently the number of both for the last half decade in the 850 class have been extremely low.
    Dave I like you as a person and I really like racing against you. But please never put words in my mouth that are simply untrue.

John Palmquist
    John,

I don't think I said you wanted capsule boats, if i did sorry. I am not good with typing and keeping up with my mind. I am pretty sure none of the current 850CC drivers want capsules. I do recall a post you made on another website about capsules though. Maybe I interpreted sarcasim for truth.

I was at a seminar at a National Meeting several years ago. The insurance people said they would try to mandate capsules if speeds exceeded 100MPH. That is what I am basing my thoughts from, not what some say. It is very tricky to interpret insurance these days. You probably have more experience with lawyers and how they speak and write than I do. I only have the ability to listen to them, and when i understand something they say I go with it. It may very well have changed, and if it has, good. It still does not change my thoughts on speeds. Low 90's is plenty fast for us. You see, there are different types of drivers, I am thinking of all of them, and not just higher caliber drivers. I know the speeds you were seeing at Whitney Point that year, as I had my GPS in and can estimate what you were seeing as you blew by me. That is neither here or there. That course is an exception to the rule, it was way to big for what we do.

The rig you are hired to drive is very competitive, and it has a lot of time and money in it to be where it is at. That is why you are driving it at times. It takes someone who knows what it takes to win and do it safe.

While we have had our differences in the past, I typically respected you as a driver. That respect built at Whitney Point that year. You had the oppurtunity to drive dirty and you chose to allow room, even though you would have been legal to close off the lane. You understand the speed and respect it, thank you. It is not a CMH or DMH.

I am glad you spoke up, we will agree to disagree on speeds. I feel we need to grow the sport by numbers, not wins. We need more people to race with, and this spending lots of money on go fast parts and machine work is holding the class back. It is a great class to race, speed, punch and all that. Lets not make it difficult and expensive so we only have the normal 5 or 6 who could win the nationals. If you want that, than I respect your opinion and bid you good luck.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

think if we want to get people/ other racers in the v-rude classes we should put out some kind of simple info sheet that could be distributed at the race or meetings or??/ i remember seeing years ago nowthe motor on the back of some boats never new what the class was all about had to investigate for myself,,, i know to build one new myself was about same price as a d-mod ,,,, but easier way easier than a d-mod add all the machining that go's into a d-mod maybe also recomendations on geaqrcases and size of boats maybe even about what prop sizes would put them in the ball park,,, maybe with some reputable engine and boat and prop people on the list with contact info.... not like apba guys are doing not impressed when there list contains unreputable bussines/boat people as we all know who they are and leavethem onthere list... ,,,, just a thought................ side note haaa dave check out nbra super-e,,, record erik corpy,,, hate to tell ya hose motor was on the back,,,hehehehe...will ya be at calif nats/apba???

Post Thanks / Like

Well this is intresting i think this thread is off in a differnt path

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Detroit Whitey;86683]Well this is intresting i think this thread is off in a differnt path[/QUOTE

I agree. This BS needs to be moved to a different thread, so we can get back to the 3 cylinder discussion.
    Likes TroyWoodF1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popa Sam View Post
    I agree. This BS needs to be moved to a different thread, so we can get back to the 3 cylinder discussion.
    3 cylinder motors & their racing class is being discussed, on post 441 as on post 1

If Fred asks me to break the 3 cylinder racing class stuff out to another thread, I will do so.

About 100 more posts and we will start Part 3
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    3 cylinder motors & their racing class is being discussed, on post 441 as on post 1

If Fred asks me to break the 3 cylinder racing class stuff out to another thread, I will do so.

About 100 more posts and we will start Part 3
    How about posting some photos of these Mod and Pro engines?

Thread Information