Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is at least one time you won it. It appears to be for a fine job of chasing Billy Seebold around.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill, Al Lang liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Here is at least one time you won it. It appears to be for a fine job of chasing Billy Seebold around.
    Rest of the boat racing world chased Seebold around Bristol-----------My son Mark finished second behind him on five occasions---------he still says he could have been famous if it wasn't for Seebold!
    Billy was the only other person to try the cosworth, Duckworth got to thinking that I wasn't maybe on top of the game any more (I was well over forty at the time) he asked if I would mind if Bill could do a test run, I knew there was no danger of him bending the equipment so I agreed!
    He couldn't get it going round any quicker than I did, which kinda put a smirk on my face at the time.
    Brett May drove with me at Parker in '78/9 and drove a great race.
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This must be the time that Ken Warby showed up at the P&W offices that you mentioned earlier Jackie.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    James moved in an entirely different circle to most of us-----I was on a camping holiday in the south of France with my wife and five kids when I first met him. He was there with his brother and Grant Wilson. I had a boat on the back of a Ford transit camper van, was the only way I could carry all the kit that goes with five kids and a wife.
    He was a friend of the nobility,but fell out with Prince Charles when he started dating Koo Stark who was the princes girl friend at the time and an absolute drop dead gorgeous female.
    Hey Jackie is this a million to one chance i have some pictures of the Earle of Normanton having his accident in the 1970 Paris race driving James Beards stepped Cougar look at his boat in the pits before the race parked next to a yellow inboard boat and look what boat is at the side of his boat when he had his accident looks the same boat to me not bad a 3 mile circuit with 80 boats running.Name:  1970 PARIS 6HR BOATRACING PITS 001.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  102.8 KBName:  1970 1ST Cougar stepped Cat 001.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  74.4 KBName:  EARLE OF NORMANTON PARIS 6HR RACE 1970 001.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  102.0 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

James moved in an entirely different circle to most of us-----I was on a camping holiday in the south of France with my wife and five kids when I first met him. He was there with his brother and Grant Wilson. I had a boat on the back of a Ford transit camper van, was the only way I could carry all the kit that goes with five kids and a wife.
    He was a friend of the nobility,but fell out with Prince Charles when he started dating Koo Stark who was the princes girl friend at the time and an absolute drop dead gorgeous female.
    Hey Jackie i have managed to find some pictures of the Earle of Normaton driving James Beards Cougar in the 1970 Paris 6hr race look at the Cougar boat parked in the pits before the race it has a yellow inboard parked next to it.In the race looks like the same inboard boat is at the side of him when he has his accident.Whats the odds over 80 boats on a 3 mile circuit ?Name:  EARLE OF NORMANTON PARIS 6HR RACE 1970 001.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  102.0 KBName:  1970 1ST Cougar stepped Cat 001.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  74.4 KBName:  1970 PARIS 6HR BOATRACING PITS 001.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  102.8 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paris 6 hr race 1970

Hey Jackie whats the odds of this i have found pictures of the Earle of Normanton driving James Beards Cougar when he had his accident look at the 1st picture in the pits you can see a yellow inboard boat parked next to the Cougar the next picture the yellow inboard is at the side of him whats the odds 80 boats on a 3 mile circuit?.Name:  1970 PARIS 6HR BOATRACING PITS 001.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  102.8 KBName:  1970Paris 6hr race EARLE of NORMANTON 001.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  102.6 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Swedes, French and Italians always seemed to run inboards. Always sounded like they were running fifty miles an hour faster than they actually were. Sopwith and Shead ran a huge Souter with a Volvo-------damned thing just refused to go round corners and wound up on the bank several times.
    Americans turned up with with a super/turbo inboard-------might have been the V8 Rover----- but it's all a long time ago.
    Earl of Normanton was hurt bad in that accident, I was there but didn't see it. That boat just never looked right!
    I was standing on the bridge when "Humming Bird" did its famous submarine act--------must have gone fifty yards underwater before it broke water again!
    There has been some weird and wonderful creations entered in the Paris race. The Spaniards turned up with a "BATWING" that was ten miles an hour quicker than anything else--------was miles in front at the fourth hour-------forget what happened to it, but it finished second--------nobody remembers second !

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron, did you ever think to tell your readers it's ok to actually reply to some of these threads ?
    There's a distinct lack of communication out there ! Lord knows they all have shed loads of nonsense to shout about when they meet up, and I doubt they're all totally illiterate !
    Even Tim Thib. Keeps quiet these days !

Post Thanks / Like

Default Facebook Is Easier To Post Than BRF

Jackie, I really don't know for sure why more people don't post. At any given moment, there are at least 50 people viewing the web site. I don't know if people are too busy to post, not interested or what. I don't feel BRF's members have ever been "MEAN" or "DEMEANING" to any posters.

I've had quiet a few people ask me about new pass words, I've set them up with new pass words, but never seem to see any of their posts.

I have BRF on Facebook and get about three new members a day there, but no real posting.

I've posted many pictures of Facebook from BRF, and I'll get over 100 likes, but not any posts on BRF.

I used to send a newsletter out, maybe I should do that more often and ask people to post.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, when Joe Rome first saw Boatracingfacts, he call me up and said "Wayne...I just found this new website that Ron Hill started. You got to take a look at it." So I did and called him back. Joe asked, " You know Ron Hill don't you?" and I told him I did, but it's been many, many years since I've seen him". Joe said "Let's sign up then get together to figure out how to post something. Do you know how"? I told Joe "I have no clue." BRF was brand new then....maybe a month or six weeks old. Joe said "Let's both read it a little bit, then you call Ron to find out how, then we can try to post something". I waited several days for Joe to call back, and being on the shy side and not knowing if Ron would even remember me, I didn't call. I didn't wait anymore for Joe except I was not sure about what to do. Then I went on another website, Hydroracer, and found my mechanic Jack Chance's grandson Eddie had posted about me. I figured out how to answer his post, so my first two posts ever were on Hydroracer. I went back to BRF and joined, then did my first post. I called up Joe and told him.

I didn't know much about computers at all then. I had no clue about scanning, sizing, or even what jpeg, PDF or any of that was. I was so fascinated about BRF and the opportunity to add to boating history with my photos that I started learning all that stuff. I know of several other boat racers that had to learn computers themselves, but none of them have ever posted anything. Joe does from time to time, but he types very slow, so his posts are short.

I think Jackie a lot of it is people unsure how to jump in to post stories and pictures, and maybe some like Joe that don't type much. I have had several people send me photos and information for me to post and I know a lot of them have sent stuff for Ron to post, but don't want to do it themselves or know how. And then there are some people who think they don't have anything interesting to post. You have said that about yourself, but contrary to that, I have pointed out to you that your posts are indeed interesting. Look at how this thread has grown. We just have to keep pushing people to tell their stories. Just like a few posts before, Steve got interested in the stories about Rosalind Nott and ended up finding pictures of the Earl of Normanton.

Thread Information