Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A looper powerhead

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A looper powerhead

pictures of an A looper powerhead that was given to me. Don't know year or who raced it or when. On top of the block it has PROA 2.160 and 9FA stamped in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

2.160 is the bore size, don't know what the 9FA # means.

The flywheel is something different. I don't remember anything like that coming from 5th & State.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default strange flywheel

It doesn't even look like there is a notch in the cranking plate for a rope, or if there is it is very hard to pick out. The cranking plate looks like half of a v-belt sheave, that maybe bolted together with the other half and a hub. I know some of the four and six cylinder motors had the CD Merc ignition from Quincy as I had one put on a C Flathead at 5th and State, but were there many A's or B's that were done by Quincy with the CD? We had an A with point and condenser ignition that really came to life with automotive coils from "K-Mart". They were supposedly the hottest thing in coils in that time frame (mid 70's) and worked well on that plus some other motors I had.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill,

Yes, we built a lot of 2 bangers with CD ignition or as Chris and Clem Landis pronounced it, ig-ny-shun.

The early ones had the 2 extra slots filled with solder. Later ones were available with just 2 slots.

Did you also happen to notice the high speed adjusting needle on the carb. Looks like stock Carter both in appearance and location.

Have to sign off, I hear Norma stirring in the bedroom. Need to go see what Santa left us under the tree.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a rope plate on the flywheel. It was removed and used on a D-mod engine before it was givin to me. Thats all i know about the engine, it turns over very nice and I would think with a carb cleaning and rebuilt fuel pump it would run. The Carter carb is stamped FA on both flanges. I would asume this powerhead is a complete, original and not been basterdized, the only parts missing is the rope plate, outer throttle cable holder and spray sheild.
    I didn't get the cd box or coil for ignition.
    53w

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The flywheel and the pic of carb stamps may not show up.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

53W,

In one of your photos, if you look closely, it has a serial number on the side of the crankcase, with matching number on the block. That number is FA64.

This could be a historic engine as the original owner was none other than the famous boat racer, Jerry Simison. It was later sold to Dave Nelson. This information is from the original Quincy Welding serial number production books.

It also appears that it could very well be Jerry's last A Looper. If that is indeed the case, this motor won some very significant races, including some Nationals.

It was probably produced in early 1965. I hope this information helps you. Merry Christmas.

Paul A Christner
    www.QuincyLooperRacing.us

ps: As many early Loopers stayed in use and circulation for years, they were upgraded with Mercury CD ignitions, including the 2 cylinders.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool thanks for looking it up! Any idea what the 9 FA is for that is stamped on top of the block? You can see it in one of the flywheel pic I posted?
    I think I'll ask for the original rope plate back
    53w

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

53W,

It appears the 9FA stamped on the cylinder block that you are inquiring about is the same sized letter and number stamping used by Quincy Welding.

If it was indeed stamped by Quincy Welding, which it appears to be, and after further review in the serial number book, Jerry's engines appeared to have some unique characteristics about the dome specifications and dimensions on the pistons of his Loopers.

My conclusion is that this represents a specific code that Mike Malaney, our piston production man, used to distinguish Jerry's unique pistons from the others.

Thanks for inquiring.

Paul A Christner

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

what years and races and nationals might of engine been raced by Jerry in? hydro or runabout?

Thread Information