Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seattle's 1968 Nationals on Green Lake

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You have a great memory Ron !

Thank you Guys for digging around in your memory banks,
    My Dad took me to that 1968 race but I was just a Goofy kid and he was hanging out with his Boeing Buddy’s, Hugh Enthrop and I think Ted Jones.
    I was probably hanging out at the candy stand rotting my teeth out.

I was just noticing the remarkable resemblance between Carl Blackstock's riding mechanic and Ron.
    Now tell the truth Ron, was that you blasting thru Seattle's Montlake Cut back in 33 in the shot gun seat ?

Post Thanks / Like

Jackie Holden was actually "before my time;" I was only reading about racing with my grade school and junior high pals in the Fifties. So I don't know about him directly, though I heard he just grew a little too much to come anywhere near minimum weight in the A Stock classes. But when I started racing myself, another novice, Ron Shew, showed up with an ASH Marchetti outfit that had been Holden's, and he was immediately fast (as opposed to me and my pals who started out with Hal Kelly homebuilts and somebody's unwanted props).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ed Peter's DeSilva

19-C in my 1969 DeSilva, the red DeSilva behind me is Major Bob's boat that I sold to Ed Peters. This pitcture was taken at the 1970 Winternationals at Topock, Arizona.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1968 Green Lake Nationals JU

After two years of learning the ropes I finally won my first race, the 68' Nationals! Ric Montoya was second. I got thrown in the water by Joe Price who built the boat and the prop.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bremerton Flash
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smittythewelder View Post
    Yes, Swannie's Karelsen had a long cowling (not often seen on runabouts in those days) made of fabric over wood battens, same as the fore-decks on most hydros then. Almost all of Ed's few runabouts had this cowl, with the exception of what must have been one of the first raceboats Ed built, Jackie Holden's JU, which set both records in 1958 and might have been National Champion as well (I forget).

I don't know about Barry Lewis being related to any current Lewis racers. Carl Lewis has a son racing, I believe.
    I started racing AU (soon to become ASR) in 1970. Bought a Karelsen runabout from John Myers (yeah...JW's dad) that did not have the cowling...the only one I've ever seen.
    Ed did not build very many runabouts, most of them J's and A's, but I do remember someone here in Region 10 had a CU or DU Karelsen with the cowling. I had several Karelsens throughout my racing career...CSH/DSH, 350ccH (all conventional hulls) and my last was a 20SSH,, which was an early picklefork. Ed built some fast and beautiful boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't know I was still subscribed to this, but since I got notified I'll respond to my ol' bud, Dave Johnson. I don't know who ordered it from Ed, but Dave Jenkins ran that big runabout in CU for a few years. Varnished hull (looked like Philippine mohogany as I recall) with a light blue cowl; 45degree non-trips, and quite a wide bottom, which was the basic configuration of all of Ed's runabouts that I saw.

Bremerton Flash
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay...gotta know who Smitty the welder is...
    to remember me as a boat racer would be surprising...zero region or national high points...zero national championships...zero world records, but I had allot of fun, traveled throughout this great nation, made allot of friends (and a few enemies, I'm sure) and still consider most all of these people as family, even though I haven't kneeled or sat in a race boat for almost 30 years.
    So...who is Smitty The Welder?

Post Thanks / Like

Phil Smith, BSH and AOH starting in '65 and off and on for several years after. PM me, we'll chew the fat.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=David Johnson;112986]I started racing AU (soon to become ASR) in 1970. Bought a Karelsen runabout from John Myers (yeah...JW's dad) that did not have the cowling...the only one I've ever seen.

Hello Dave,

Are you related to Steve Johnson?

Best Regards,

Dean
    Dean Hobart

Bremerton Flash
    Post Thanks / Like

Dean,

Yes, Steve is my older brother. We raced in the 70's, along with older brother Rich Koch. We were Team Northwest. Steve started in DSH, moved to BOH (350ccH). I started in AU, then ASH, CSH, 350ccH, 350ccR, and last raced 20SSH in 1981.
    Remember you as one of the fast guys in ASH.

Thread Information