Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seattle's 1968 Nationals on Green Lake

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Johnson View Post
    Dean,

Yes, Steve is my older brother. We raced in the 70's, along with older brother Rich Koch. We were Team Northwest. Steve started in DSH, moved to BOH (350ccH). I started in AU, then ASH, CSH, 350ccH, 350ccR, and last raced 20SSH in 1981.
    Remember you as one of the fast guys in ASH.
    Yes Dave,

I do remember all you guys. "The good ole' days' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dean.........................
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

My senile brain was really thinking of Steve when I wrote, "my ol' buddy Dave J". But Dave, I rememberyou and your big Karelsen, "White Lightning," . . . uh, I DO remember that correctly, right???? (stumbles off muttering to self)confused:

Bremerton Flash
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smittythewelder View Post
    My senile brain was really thinking of Steve when I wrote, "my ol' buddy Dave J". But Dave, I rememberyou and your big Karelsen, "White Lightning," . . . uh, I DO remember that correctly, right???? (stumbles off muttering to self)confused:
    Right, Phil. I then had a Goff-Hagness that I got from Don Haack...(his Cottage Lake boat...seems he had a boat for every race course) "Super Fly". I loved that boat, even though I stuffed it the first time I ran it (Kitsap Lake). Steve got spit out the only time he ran it...he hated that boat. Back to a Karelsen for 350ccH, actually the DSH hull that Ed had built for Steve a few years prior ("Shooting Star"). Steve had a similar hull for 350ccH that he had bought from Dick Moen. We both ran Quincy flatheads. I then moved to 20SSH with a Karelsen/Yamato 80 ("Fast Company"). I wish I could find that 350ccH rig to run...so much fun.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is thar the same Major Bob that was in region 4?
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default As Far As I Know...

As far as I know there was only one Major Bob.....He became a Captain, but when I emailed him, last week, he was Major Bob to me...I'm pretty sure this is the same Major Bob Smith...

This is Trenton (Marathon Nationals 1968) Me with the trophy...Major Bob in the middle and my dad in the straw hat...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, its the same guy. He has been kind enough to give me advice from time to time at races in Region 3 & 4
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Seattle 1968 CSH

Memories, Memories. Just to share a short Story. Myself, ( Jack Thompson 13-B CSH) traveled with Mike Boon and Helgie Magneson (CU) from the East that year to the Nationals in Seattle. Mike was really on his game that year. While traveling to Seattle, we were driving during the night because of the heat. In South Dakota one morning we pulled into a Hotel. The trailer with 4 boats aboard, was a little too high and of course my CSH was on top and had the cowling and deck torn off the boat from a low overhang in front of the Office. I had qualified in the Divisionals so I didn't have to qualify. Thanks again to Mike & Jim Downing and his Family from Seattle. They took us to their home and we replaced the cowling and the deck, canvas at the time on my C Hydro ( Casta-Craft ) In the finals, I hit the start right on the button. When I got to the backstretch, unknow to me, the boats back end broke loose on several occasions. While in the lead. It seems that the wooden air trap had cracked when we hit the overhang at the Hotel. We didn't even notice the split on the air trap. Well. When I got up to speed the air opened the split on the air trap and the air escaped. Not to toot anyone's horn, but a Casta-Craft would have won CSH that year as I had a lead on the backstretch that allowed me to let off on the throttle twice. No catching a Casta-Craft in CSH in those years. Ask Stan Armstrong and Billy Giles. Wow ! that was a year to remember. Ended up 2nd in National points because of that low overhang that year. Oh well, the wonderful memories are still forever.......... There is a lot more to this story for the trip home. May continue with the story later. Those were the days.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1968 Seattle National Championships

Hello Cookie 13-B: That must have been a long road trip for you guys back then, I'm sure you have allot of memories from that journey west.
    Did you get a chance to record any of the trip on film ?
    Also I would love to find out where Mike Boon is now days and share some pictures and stories with him about his old ride.

Thank you for jumping into this forum and I would love to hear anymore of your wonderful memories..

Don

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Don, That was just the tip of the iceberg of stories I have from just that trip to Seatlle alone. As far as pics and video, sorry, who knows where they went. As far as Mike Boon, no idea. Haven't seen or heard of Him for many, many years. If I can dig up some info, I'll pass it on. Jack

Thread Information