Thread: Wayne Baldwin's Amazing Story: Baldy's Eual Eldred Baldwin

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

In the B runabout race everything started out as normal. The motor fired up, I checked the tattle tale after I got on plane and water was spraying out of the can, so I checked over my left shoulder and turned back down the course to start milling at the far end. The start was nothing out of the ordinary and after we got around the first turn, I began to sort out my position and whether I could make any gains, or just try to hold off anyone who might be behind. I was about in the middle of the pack until on the back straight of the third lap, the motor began to slow down. It seemed to be hitting alright on both cylinders, but it just was losing power. The only thing that came to mind was the Fram filter was getting clogged up. It didn't make sense though because I always checked and made sure the castor oil wasn't gumming them up. We kept good filters and hadn't even run them that much in a short period of time. As I began the fourth lap I decided to stay out in case some boats conked out and I could pick up some more points. By the time I was on the back straight of lap five, the DeSilva runabout had slowed to around 35 mph. There was nothing else to do but finish the lap as long as I was getting water through the motor, and it was.

As I coasted into the pits, I looked at Baldy and lifted both arms up and shrugged my shoulders. I got out and pushed the bow around toward the race course then waded over to help put it on the stands which were in almost knee deep water. Baldy grabbed the top of the Konig with his right hand to pull it over so Mark and I could grab the transom handles. Baldy had to grip firmly to pull the motor and a step second later he bellowed out an obscenity as he plunged his right hand into the lake. Confused and cussing, he spilled a handfull of water on the crankplate and little dancing balls of water instantly formed with a cloud of steam hissing and rising above the ever smaller bouncing balls of water. Mark and I heard and could smell burning flesh. Baldy high tailed it out of the water and ran to the Chrsyler station wagon and jerked open the door to grab an 8 oz plastic bottle of "Aloe 99" that rested on the front seat. He sprayed the pump bottle until his palm was soaked and excess was dripping off. He continued to do this every couple of minutes for about ten or fifteen minutes. One of the healing properties of aloe vera is it's ability to penetrate below the surface of the skin in fairly short order. So even though a lot of the aloe was dripping off, by keeping his palm saturated, he was assured as much as possible was getting into the epidermis below the skin.

In the meantime, Mark and I had doused more water on the crankplate to cool it off, and it took more than a few minutes because the flywheel was heated throughout its mass. Even though it wasn't big, the steel took a lot longer to give off it's heat. Before it even cooled to the point where we could put the wrenches to it I noticed that the aluminum ring on the stator protecting the points and condensers had risen up and was in contact with the crankplate. The FB we had did not have a single piece stator plate. The stator was bolted to the block, but the ring was held onto the stator plate with a bolt on either side from underneath to two small aluminum wedges welded to the ring. The were about 8 mm in width drilled and tapped. Apparently the rough water from the day before had loosened both bolts, and that plus the vibration of the two cylinder FB Konig caused the ring to rise with each successive turn of the bolts until it came into contact with the bottom of the crankplate. The bolt heads must have rested on a boss on the motor (I can't remember) and we had to start the threads and turn them to lower and tighten the ring in place. This was something we never had to deal with before, and when we got home and were doing our repairs, I ended up stripping them out while tightening them.

Baldy was in pretty good pain with such a searing as he got. The flywheel nut was branded into the center of his palm, and the outer edge of the crankplate was seared into the ends of each of his fingers and in a parallel crease along his thumb. Baldy regularly sprayed more aloe on his hand as we rigged down, collected our prize money and bid our farewells before heading home Sunday evening.

Baldy was a big man and as such liked his things cold---his house---his motel room--his beer---and his car. I was always cold natured and turned the air vent off of me or completely closed it when I was driving or riding in the front seat. But during the night, it was generally cool enough were the A/C was just motivating enough to keep him cool. This night however, he had it turned up all the way and it was an artic blast coming out of that vent on his right. I was riding shotgun. Baldy drove with his left hand on the steering wheel and his right hand up against the air vent. Whenever he wanted a dose of aloe he would move his hand from the vent and toward me, where I would liberally spray it down. We stopped somewhere around 11. We went home via U.S. Highway 281, so we most likely stopped in Lampasas near the eastern edge of the Llano Estacado.

The next morning Baldy's hand was tender, but not painful. We were all surprise, including Baldy, that blisters had not formed, but it looked horrible. His palm was nothing but mottled dead skin with purplish, brown and tannish hues. We were only ten or fifteen minutes on the highway before Baldy began to pick at the dead skin. He gingerly lifted a corner at the bottom of his palm and slowly peeled off a long stringer. It was not painful, so he took some more off. About halfway through, he realized there were barely any of the burnt indentions on his fingers. He quickly removed the rest of the stuff and realized that it was not his skin that he was pulling off, but many layers of dried aloe residue. Baldy's "Aloe 99" was 99% pure and not distilled, but merely pressed and filtered. There were very small solids in his juice along with the part that turns purple when exposed to air. That made a huge impression on all of us, even though we knew the healing properties. One thing I learned was that if you get burnt, the sooner you can get aloe very into the damaged area the better. (Unless it's a very serious burn that requires a dr.)

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default another vote for aloe vera

Baldy was the first person to tell me about the healing properties of the Aloe plant, during some of the first conversations I had with him when Eileen and I visited him at the Lake house. He had a lot of Aloe plants around his house.

He encouraged us to take some plants home with us, and showed us how to dig them up and how to split the "leaves", (although they look more like a stalk) and use the raw aloe right out of the plant as a dressing on sunburn and other burn problems with the skin.

The plants we took home with us and replanted thrived, and as I am VERY fair skinned, and have had lots of sunburn, and later skin cancer, problems all my life, we started using the "juice" from the stalks on sunburn, by putting the jell in a blender and then putting the resulting liquid concoction in a jar in the fridge, as per Baldy's instructions.

I had a 73 Grand Prix with a 455 HP engine in it that I was having some overheating problems with, and it would occasionally get hot and I would have to let it cool down, crack the radiator cap, and add some water/antifreeze mixture. One time when this happened, I didn't wait long enough for it to cool down before cracking the cap, and the resulting boiling geyser sprayed all over my hand, scalding it badly. I was not far from home and hurried on there after getting some water in the radiator, and soon as I arrived, poured the Aloe mixture in the jar in the fridge over my hand. I repeated this treatment for the next 24-36 hours, and was very surprised and pleased that what looked to be AT LEAST second degree burns, disappeared entirely within a couple of days, and never did really blister up at all. I also had no, or very little pain or discomfort during the healing process, except for the initial "scald" from the boiling water.

From that point on I was a true believer in the power of Aloe and we still have some plants today that are from those original plants brought home from around Baldy's house on the lake. We keep them on the back deck during the nice weather, and of course Eileen brings them in to the basement with her other plants during the winter. That was 40 years ago, so those original plants have done very good duty over the years, and healed lots of burns and other skin irritations.

If not a family secret Wayne, perhaps the readers of this narrative would enjoy hearing about his "foray" into the Aloe plant business, and the problems you run into regards government regulations when trying to bring a product to market. Whenever we heard that story around the dinner bar in the kitchen, I could be sure he would get very red faced, and not from anything he had to drink.

Post Thanks / Like

You had mentioned that fact previously Bll Van and I am using this portion of the story to transition to Baldy's aloe venture. And now that you mention it....you are correct about where your aloe stock came from and the properties derived from it....and what it can do for you. I have to gather up a few photos before I proceed with the story. The aloe portion does play in with this whole story about Baldy as it leads into other facets of Baldy and boat racing.

The aloe vera I have planted in my yard came from transplants from Baldy's yard he gave me in 1979. When Debbie and I lived in Denton we carried cuttings to plant. The plants you have Bill Van came from transplants even earlier. Those were originated from the very first transplants Baldy brought back from our property in Mexico in 1965. That's how many years your transplants date back from when they crossed the Rio Grande. Aloe Vera mulitplies rapidly after rains, and will sit back and bide its time during drought. You can take a spade and cut some out with a root....let it dry out almost to a withered stalk, then stick the roots in the ground and before long it greens up....swells out the leaves and establishes a good root system.

ADD: I didn't exactly say it right that your transplants date back from the original. Mine did too, but you had yours in the ground a few years before I got my cuttings from the same line. And now to a sub story to do with Baldy.

Post Thanks / Like

I will have to do this in segments for a couple of reasons. First, I already wrote it three times, but it took so long it timed out and I lost it, and I didn't want to start over once more. Secondly, Debbie will be commandeering the computer shortly, so I will try to get as far as I can before she shows up.

Post Thanks / Like

BALDY'S ALOE VERA VENTURE

In 1965 Baldy invested some money into a venture to grow and harvest aloe vera plants in Mexico and market the extract in the U.S. as a natural medicine with remarkable healing properties. There had been some interest growing about the rediscovered medicinal qualities of this plant in the early sixties. I do not know who put the prospect together, or all of the people involved, but I just remember that beside Baldy, the guy I was named after and who showed it to him was Wayne Hendricks. Another guy was Dickie Haas who was a friend of Wayne and Baldy and who was a teammate of Baldy on the 1938 Texas State Championship football team the Miller Buccaneers. There were also three doctors from Dallas and a couple of scientists from Houston. One, George Warren remained a lifelong friend.

They bought into some property in Mexico near Cuidad Victoria in the state of Taumalipas. I t was either 10,000 hectares or 20,000 hectares, I can't remember. Since Americans couldn't actually own commercial property then, it had to been in the name of a Mexican national who lived and maintained a ranch on the property. I can't remember his name. He always submitted an annual financial statement to the group on the state of ranching affairs, and Baldy and Wayne always laughed about the fact that he must have only cows and no bulls, because the herd was always the same number every year.

Shortly after they bought into the venture the dam on Lake Guerrero was finished and a portion of their property was flooded. That lake now holds the distinction of being one of the top fresh water bass lakes in the world. Countless record bass records come off that lake. I am not sure which side of the lake the ranch was on. On the northeastern side was a jungle with ocelots, jaguars, parrots, snakes, bugs.....etc. Then there is a semi arid side. I have a picture showing an escarpment off in the distance, and if you magnify it greatly it shows that it is heavily forested unlike the escarpments we have in Texas. So it might be the property was on the northwestern side, and on the other side of the escarpment was the valley with the jungle. I never went down there, although my youngest sister Jan went there with Baldy a couple of times. I really regret now that I never went.

Baldy would take customers whitewing dove hunting. The Mexicans encouraged this, because it not only brought in revenue to their poor state, but whitewings were devastating to the grain crops. Unlike other doves who have to feed off the ground, the whitewings have the ability to perch on the head and eat the grains off the stalk. There were millions of them. Hunters would get their barrels hot during the first hour of shooting, then they would settle down and just try to time a shot to drop a bird at their feet. Mexican boys were hired to retrieve the doves. They made more money from the tips and gratitude from the "gringos" than their family probably made in a month. The ranch owner was friends with the mayor of Cuidad Victoria and the Governor......(to be continued).....of Taumalipas.

When a large party of the Norte Americanos came down, it generally called for a Pachanga on Saturday night. There was a lodge where hunters and fishermen stayed at the ranch and the politicos showed up including the Governor, Mayors, councilmen, generals, colonels, and invited guests celebrated. There was an orphanage outside Ciudad Victoria that received all the cleaned, uncooked doves that were not consumed at the Pachanga. It was a good publicity affair for all involved and the Texans were all given exemptions on the amount of shotguns and shotgun shells that were allowed to be brought in.

The ranch owner also had a huge mexican bodyguard whose name in Spanish meant "the black glove". I wish I had a photo, but I will describe him as I heard Baldy do it many times while entertaining friends. Bill Van will probably remember some of this. The Black Glove wore gloves on both hands and wore two pearl handled Colt 45's on his gun belt. He was named the Black Glove as an intimidation factor because, as Baldy put it, "He couldn't hit a bull in the *** with a bass fiddle." The ranch owner had them watch the Black Glove in a shooting demonstration one day. They did that often so people could hear him firing off rounds. Baldy said that even though he could not hit what he was aiming at "...he put enough lead in the air to be dangerous to anyone around him." It was never clear to Baldy why the ranch owner needed a bodyguard like the Black Glove, because it wasn't dangerous in those days. It was probably prestige more than anything else plus maybe a deterrent to some petty cattle rustling. The Black Glove was a lot bigger than the average Mexican and besides the two pistols, often wore bandoliers, but I do not remember Baldy saying that he wore a sombrero. I think he just wore a cowboy hat and large boots. He did have a drooping black mustache also.

One day the ranch owner, the Black Glove, Baldy, his hunting friend Andy Anderson and a couple of others stopped to eat at a cafe between the ranch and Ciudad Victoria. Andy walked up to the table first and tried to pull out a chair, but it was bolted to the ground. Without saying anything he gave Baldy a confused look who just then tried to pull his chair back himself. He was also puzzled as to why the chairs would be bolted down so close to the table. Just then the Black Glove grabbed the back of his chair firmly and scooted it back. Then Baldy and Andy tried again, but this time putting some muscle into it. The rancher and the Black Glove had purposefully held back to watch Baldy and Andy for a laugh. The wooden chairs were constructed of black ebony and were extremely heavy. (to be continued)

Post Thanks / Like

In south Texas there was a political boss named George Parr who also held the title the "Duke of Duval". He lived in San Diego ten miles west of Alice and was in Duval County. Were it not for George Parr, Lyndon Johnson would probably have never been President of the United States. A month before I was born George Parr orchestrated the theft of the 1948 election to the U.S. Senate in favor of LBJ. One person was killed, another beaten to within an inch of his life and no more witnesses stepped forward on the ballot box stuffing. The polling place was Box thirteen in Alice where Baldy and Dodo voted. The ballot box went missing for three or four days and when it was found, there were two hundred plus additional voters signed in on the roster, all in green ink, and all in the same handwriting. All other statewide precincts had been counted by the time that last box was found, and there were just enough votes to put Johnson over the top. When the Texas Rangers came down, the Duval County courthouse records suddenly burnt up.

The right hand man of George Parr I will call Charley Murphy. He was officially on the payroll of a nationally renowned mud company that supplied drilling mud to the oilfield. He was also on retainer of $100.00 per month each from about two dozen oilfield related businesses. There was a lot of oil and gas drilling in Duval County and adjoining counties in which George Parr held influence. Parr was married to a hispanic lady and spoke Spanish as good as anybody that ever lived in South Texas.

Parr was a judge and held other political offices over the years he ruled in his fiefdom. Any hispanic that ever needed help came to Parr and he doled out money. He had money for kids 15 year birthday parties, weddings, education, accidents, health problems....anything that community needed, Parr was their with cash. Of course it all came from the taxpayers, but it bought loyalty...lot's of it. Parr could always depend on 110% of the hispanic vote. More if it looked like the election would be close. A Duval county democrat had the rights to vote even after they were planted six feet under the ground. So to do business in and around Duval County you had to be in the favor of George Parr. Charley Murphy was the guy most people dealt with when doing business with George Parr.

Ten pound brine is a saturated solution of sodium chloride commonly known as table salt. In Duval County and neighboring county Jim Hogg were some of the largest salt deposits in North America. Solution wells were drilled into these domes and fresh water pumped down and circulated out. The result is ten pound brine, which is utilized extensively in the oilfield. It was also a valuable commodity to PPG, Pittsburgh Plate Glass which used it in some manufacturing processes. They had a plant located on the ship channel in Corpus Christi. The solution mining was hundreds of feet higher than the plant in Corpus near sea level. Although it was around 100 miles to the east from the brine fields, the elevation allowed a pipeline to gravity flow the ten ppg brine solution down to the plant. The pipeline passed less than 100 feet northwest of the Alice Specialty Company property line. Alice Specialty was our oilfield service company and we sold many truckloads of brine each month. All the brine however, had to be loaded at the mine. Baldy knew he could corral the 10 pound brine market if he could set a meter on the pipeline and have it flow into bulk storage tanks on our property. It would not only save on extra trucking, but also greatly enhance delivery times. Baldy tried repeatedly to make a deal with PPG, but they held no allegiances to the oilfield and refused to even consider a tap on their line.

Baldy hired Charly Murphy and provided him with a 1966 red Dodge Polara with a white top, plus expenses. Charly worked for Alice Specialty almost two years, but his main purpose was to get a meter on that brine line. The line crossed not only property owned by people indebted to George Parr for his unfailing policy to step in when someone needed help, but also thousands of acres owned by Parr himself. PPG had no choice but to come to terms with Baldy when Parr's henchman, Murphy explained how it would go with Parr if they refused. That pipeline made Alice Specialty the premier south Texas supplier of ten pound brine inland and offshore for many years.

Here are some photos of the property in Mexico. In the first one, if you look closely where the field meets the horizon you can see clouds of doves. Charly Murphy took some hunters down to the ranch in Mexico. He is the slim guy with glasses and a cowboy hat. I don't know who the other hunters are...they could be PPG executives for all I know. The Mexican kids were very hard workers and extremely pleased to get the job of retrieving and cleaning doves.

ADD: Mark and I only drove that runabout we built a couple of times. It was too squirrely and by then we had something faster anyway. We sold it to Murphy's son, who was about twelve then, for a hundred bucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

This last post mentioning political hanky-panky at the polls sounds more like Illinois than Texas.

The latest thing going here is many of the districts in Illinois did not send absentee ballots to our military in time for them to be distributed prior to election day.

This supposedly is an oversight.

Why would Illinois politicians not want the military to vote. Could it be most military people are not liberals?

I've seen 2 yard signs for our incumbent congressman Phil Hare ("I don't care about the Constitution) and thousands for Bobby Schilling, yet our local newspaper says the race is a toss-up. How can that be???

Post Thanks / Like

Default election

Sounds Like Casrto must be running the election.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there are political bosses everywhere. The most famous are New York, Chicago, and Boston. Funny that they are all Democrats.

There is a saying about leaders of our country..."Behind every great man.....there is a great woman!" I believe in the very truth of that statement. I also believe this (which isn't a saying, but it's known to be true). For every corrupt politician, there is an equally corrupt and disgusting lawyer. That's my saying that can be repeated often and as well far and wide.

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

The aloe group made up different formulations and submitted samples and procedures to the FDA (I think) for testing. One of the formulations was aloe vera juice to be taken internally for mild gastric distress, but it also improved the health of other organs. This as well as the topical creams and gels required testing by government agencies. I assume it was the Federal Drug Administration. The did test with rats. As they went through each phase of rat testing, the government ordered more. I am not sure, but I think the doctors had been involved even earlier and had already gone through a couple of rat tests earlier. Baldy was getting impatient. He was oilfield. When you are ready to get something done, you just call out the orders and it gets done. So after another one of the tests was concluded without any harmful affects showing up on the rats, Baldy went out on his own and put together a company called "Aloe 99" because it was 99% aloe vera juice with stabilizer. The other partners didn't object because it would further the cause and they would learn something from it, and Baldy was putting up all the money. I don't remember the type of products the doctors were having tested, but one was a cream with more than twice as much aloe vera than other creams on the market. It had one unique ingredient that was different from other creams also. It was an oil with the same ph as human skin and was derived from a certain process of removing oil from a grain.

In McAllen, Texas there were a number of independant plants that would press citrus crops, sugar cane, and other types of fruits to extract and filter the juice. I think it was in one of those plants that Baldy had the aloe vera juice pressed, filtered, pastuerized and bottled. It was shipped to Alice and stored in one of the storerooms at Alice Specialty Company on the west side of U.S. Highway 281 about a half mile south of Alice.

Baldy bought two white Dodge panel trucks from Jim Yawn to haul the Aloe 99 around to retailers. Baldy hired Ray Pippin, a full blooded Indian from Oklahoma, to make sales calls and deliver the product. It was pretty amazing how quickly Ray was able to move the product. There was the small white pump spray bottle I mentioned earlier as well as a one gallon container. Ray had a lot of Aloe stocked within a fifty mile radius. I imagine a lot of it was consignment, but sales were picking up quickly as there was not really anything else out there similar to Aloe 99.

Aloe vera has something in it that promotes rapid healing by enhancing growth of good healthy cells. That's one reason it shouldn't be used on serious deep injuries because they need to be healed from the inside. While it was not claimed to cure stomach ulcers it would help cure them if they were not really far gone. I am also one to testify that it helps with nausea. Baldy's aloe vera juice really tasted bad, so it was recommened to mix it with orange juice. Baldy always joked though not to mix it in with orange or grapefruit juice and liquor because it will carry the alchohol straight into the bloodstream. It did have the capacity to soak quickly into your skin and was deemed a carrier. I think that was one of the primary concerns with the FDA. I don't know if any of you have ever heard of DMSO. but it also has miraculous healing properties, but it is banned from use by humans. It goes into the skin and blood much faster than aloe vera and is also deemed a carrier. That means if you were handling rat poison, then put DMSO on your skin where there was rat poison, the DMSO would carry the poison into your blood. DMSO is an authorized drug for veterenarians though. It is used a lot on lame horses.

There was a tall lanky black man that had worked for Baldy many years driving a winch truck. He was in his sixties when he got an injury on the side of his left leg just above the boot and the outside part of his calf. He had neglected it and it had gotten out of control and became infected. Of course he didn't want to quit work, so he kept it aggravated and inflammed. The doctor had tried repeatedly to treat it, but the wound didn't respond to anything he tried. It was about three inches long and two wide, and not quite, but almost to the bone. Baldy took him off the truck and had him performing maintenance duties at the warehouse. Included in that was boxing and loading Aloe 99 for the vans to deliver, and restocking when new product came in.

His name was Moses, and he and Baldy like to swap fish stories. He was a fine old man and Baldy would explain all about the Aloe 99 and Moses took great care in listening to what Baldy told him. Occassionally there would be some damaged bottles, so Moses set them aside. One day he got an idea. He got a Kotex and soaked it in Aloe 99 then taped it over his wound, making sure it was stuffed down into it. He never told anybody about it, and he quit going to the doctor. Baldy usually talked to Moses once a day if not more often and Moses started calling him Doctor Baldy. Baldy was just amused by this and didn't say anything. That was just Moses' nature and they liked and respected one another. I can remember Moses catching up with Baldy as he was headed back toward the warehouse from the welding shop one day. Moses said "Look Doctor Baldy. Look at my leg." I didn't like to look at it after the first time he showed it to me, but I was standing behind and to the right of Baldy when Moses pulled up the left pant leg. I don't remember what Baldy said, but he was surprised so I took a look as well. It was only a very thick scab about the size of an elongated half dollar piece. He then proceeded to tell Baldy about how he had been soaking Aloe 99 in a Kotex and that he used damaged jugs and hoped that was okay. Baldy was very happy for Moses until a couple of weeks later. Moses waited for the injury to heal even more before he went back to the original doctor to show him. When Moses came back to the office he found Baldy and was telling him how the doctor was so amazed at his recovery. Moses said to Baldy, "He wanted to know who cured me and I told him Doctor Baldy." Baldy's jaw dropped and he told Moses, "No....don't call me Doctor Baldy Moses. I'm not a doctor. You could get me in trouble. Don't ever call me doctor again." "Okay Doctor Baldy." said Moses.

Thread Information