Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252652 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayne Baldwin's Amazing Story: Baldy's Eual Eldred Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

I look forward to each edition of this new thread. Keep them coming.

BTW: The reason you don't see divinity as much these days is because that stuff is very hard to make.

My failure rate is about 75% and I think I'm a pretty good cook.

The really good cooks say don't even try on a humid day!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry for the delay, but I had some photos to scan before I continued. I am missing the hardware disc from the new scanner to make the connection for me to make the scans. I think the computer guy has it from when the computer crashed, but he says he doesn't, but he said I can download it from the manufacturer. I don't have a clue. If it weren't for BRF....I would never learn this computer stuff. There were many people at the Old Pharts Party that said they couldn't wait......but.....as smart as I am....I may have to buy another digital Nikon for the disc I need to make the photos I downloaded be able to talk to the picture file. Hope to get it going again by this weekend.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

Windows or Mac and what is the make and model of the scanner?

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Dave....it's Windows and Epson Perfection V500 Photo.

In the meantime, I'll push a little further on.

Post Thanks / Like

While my Mom was still alive, Baldy began to teach our older sister Brenda, Mark and myself firearm safety and how to become a marksman. He knew full well that most of the other "baby boom" kids Dads were so busy in the South Texas oilfield that they didn't have time nor the place to teach their own kids. So Baldy wrangled the use of a large quonset hut aluminum building at the Jim Wells County Fairgrounds on the west side of Alice, Texas and did what it took to become an NRA firearms instructor. He was on the Board of Directors of the Alice Rifle and Pistol Club and was intrumental in moving and reconstructing a superior all inclusive shooting range to the west side away from the swamp that surrounded the old one.

Before Hurricane Celia blew away a lot of Baldy's records, I would sometimes go look at the shooting scores of various kids he taught. There must have been at least around 100. The best marksman ever was Bill Winters who lived next door to us and was about three years older than myself. He went on to study under one of the best gunsmiths in Texas and later on went to the CIA. He achieved Distinquished Rifleman. I guess I ended up the next highest going to all but the last three bars of Expert before I quit. But that's one of the lessons I got from my Dad. Patience....breath deep and be calm...focus and most importantly.....SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER.

After all the legal entanglements with our Mom, business and us kids, Baldy had to quit teaching shooting classes.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

Try
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...ession.new=Yes

if that doesn't work, google Epson Perfection V500 Photo driver
    it's the first hit

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave...You have given me a little confidence. I found that exact page and tried it every which way. In fact I thought maybe I had to download all four links. It might be my security thing not letting it in. Do you know about E Set. My very first problems had to do with some kind of "protection racket" software that wiped out all the communication links so that I had all my stuff downloaded, but could not acess any of it. I will try it again tommorrow. I'm not too swift on this stuff, but right now the computer is not even allowing me to download new discs. AGGGGHHHH....!

Post Thanks / Like

Baldy had some good people working for him at Alice Specialty and knew he could trust them to take the helm while he tried to engage us kids in activities. He still worked hard, but always was near to see that we were taken care of. We continued to go to skeet shoots and in November of 1964 we went to Cuero, Texas for a turkey shoot. We weren't there too long. It was cold and overcast. The crowd was big. There were different events to prove marksmanship and it wasn't long before Brenda, Mark and myself had won smoked turkeys handling our Remington pump 22 rifles. Baldy solved the problem of trying to cut a string with a pistol by using his Smith & Wesson semi automatic filled with wad cutters. The strings were tied against a wood backboard, and would give away against the 22 caliber greased rounds unless it was a direct hit. Baldy's wad cutter clipped the string whether his shot was dead on or only a partial clip. After we won 8 or 9 turkeys, they would not let us shoot anymore. So we went home.

ADD: Something in my memory was kicking me upside the head when I was helping Debbie make salad. The strings were tacked to a wooden board and dangled down about a foot or so. Baldy shot the wadcutter into the wood just below where the strings were attached. They did not have any rules to say you couldn't do that, so that's how he cut the string....and probably why they wouldn't let us shoot anymore (besides taking all those turkeys). Baldy studied the rules, and that's how he and Henry Wagner challenged each other on the rules. Henry always said "If it's not in the rulebook...you can't do it." Baldy always said the rules in PRO are free and "If it's not in the rulebook...you can do it". They were always friends and respected each other, but they battled over that philosophy.

Here's part of the trophy collection
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 01-23-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: memory kicking in

Post Thanks / Like

I am running ahead of my photos and scans now, but it will be late next week before I can resolve these problems I think. So I will go forward and refer to the photos after the computer gets it's a$$ kicked and starts recognizing the commands again.

Post Thanks / Like

I was hooked on speed on the water from that first solo ride in Mr. Valentine's john boat. I was down on the corner of Main & Texas Boulevard at the Ice Box, an early version of a conveniece store, when I spotted my first "Boating News" magazine. I had been riding my bicycle the two miles to that store for a couple of years to buy comics. My favorite was "Sgt. Rock". I flipped through the pages of "Boating News" and immediately bought it and headed home. I read and reread it throughout, then took it to school to show my friends. The next and following months, I would drive down to the "Ice Box" when I thought the next edition would be in. In the meantime, we would be practicing shooting and I was newly into my flying lessons.

Thread Information