Thread: Wayne Baldwin's Amazing Story: Baldy's Eual Eldred Baldwin

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It was a week or so later after the race that we got the rebuilt motor properly timed. Mark got everything ready and we launched the Mustang on a good cool day with water conditions just right. We wanted to make absolutely sure after the new crank, new pistons, bored out and with some slight modifications, the motor was good for all out running.

We inserted the pitot tube into it's bracket, I got in the back to monitor the Keller and tattle tell while Mark throttled up to take us to a long straight toward the dam. Still too cold to ski, there was no one one the water but whatever fishermen there were, and they were idling along the banks, or anchored.

Pulling out of Baldy's cove at Pernitas Point, we just had to make a right, cruise through the first race course we ever entered, pass by those pits, get some speed up as we went through a section below a cliff where Baldy had a temporary address a little over a year later, make a slight bend to the right and then ease into full throttle.

We were concerned about our timing, and whether that could cause problems so Mark kept looking back at me as we got up to the high sixties where the trouble always started to show up. All was good. He went to full throttle. We hit 70 with no loss of water, and we were still gaining on the Keller. Mark kept the throttle down and we reached a top speed of 73 miles per hour before we had to turn around when we approached the bouys beyond which boats were not allowed.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, do you have any other pics of your Mustang?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Only just a few Sam. The prints are glued together from getting wet, as well as some of the negatives. I have some other color negatives that are okay, but a little scratched, except I cannot scan them whole with the scanner I have. I have tried several ways to make it work, and I have one other idea to try. The problem is the negatives is that they are an old format from a camera my Dad gave me and the width is so wide that the scanner thinks it is two negatives and splits the imagages in half. I have not figured a way to change the scanner format, so now I will try to splice them with panoramic programs, or cut and paste, then doctor them up. Mark cut and pasted a couple of pages from BRF onto a word program to show me I could play around with it, but I just have to sit down now to see what I can do.

Post Thanks / Like

This might look a little strange if it works, but at least it's a first try. I'll be more encouraged to continue until I get it figured out.

ADD: The pictures didn't make the trip and I don't know why.

ADD: This is close to what I was trying to do, but it wasn't the weird document that I originally submitted where I had five parts of crushed Mustang above and below the two halves to make room and get them side by side. At least I can use this method until I can figure out a better way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Another one to try Sam....without all the machinations of before. This is the front seat of the Mustang.

ADD: It kind of like the movie "The Fly". Parts are missing...and didn't make the transfer.

Post Thanks / Like

I always liked cats. Especially cats that like fast boats. Amazingly....when I was taking flying lessons my instructor George had a cat with a tail cut off about an inch from it's hindquarters. I didn't ask George, but having something like that happened to one of our cats caught under the hood of a Volvo, I suspect the veterinarian figured that was a good place to lop off the bad part. The cat roamed around the hanger at it's ease. I saw the short tail and asked George about it. He told me it was cut off by a prop. He then went on to tell me that the cat liked to fly. It was hard to believe, but I saw the cat walking around when other pilots pulled their planes out, started the motors and headed off toward the runways. The cat was never phased. It was always in the hangar, or sleeping in the office. That cat never was jumpy or scared about anything I ever saw there. Once, when George hooked up a tow bar to pull the Cessna 172 out of the hanger, he opened up the passenger door, and the cat sprang out. I guess she spent the night in there and was hungry and/or thirsty. I say she, but I can't remember the name, but I think it was a girl cat. George said the cat flew with him when he flew "Pipelines" which was two or three days a week.

Post Thanks / Like

I recall during the month after 9/11, the guys flying the local gas pipelines were conspicuously the only ones up. I had never really noticed them before and maybe it wasn't a coincidence ...
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

It might not have been Sam. The first three nights after 911, big helicopters flew back and forth for several miles in front of the Lake Corpus Christi Dam and back toward our house at night. Very bright spotlights. Some in front fixed, but one that could be directed. I couldn't figure out what they were doing at first, because the hours varied. Sometimes it was a couple of hours after dark, but after they flew at two or three in the morning for about half hour, I figured it out. They were checking on unusual traffic in the area. It would take some good engineering to shut down a dam, but if they could, it would shut down all the refineries below the dam in the port of Corpus Christi which could not operate without an abundant supply of cooling water. Our port is one of the major ones for oil and gas and probably not considered a high priority like the refineries around Houston, Beaumont, Port Arthur and the rest of the Golden Triangle or the big refineries in New Jersey. But all it takes is a moderate hit to cause panic, and I guess the authorities figured it would be easier to pull off an attack on less guarded facilities and thus the terrorists would get the biggest bang for the buck. In those days no one knew which direction they might take so they covered a lot of bases. There's still all those targets, but also a lot more awareness now.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a couple of negatives from the Rockport pits that have been stuck together for years. I tried a few years ago to use a warm bath with photo flo to get them apart and only succeeded in pulling apart some emulsion. A few days ago I steamed them apart, and I tried to salvage some pics, but it took a lot of trys. This is the best I could come up with. With a big part of the emulsion missing, it would not scan the pics. I had to cut the bad part of the emulsion off but since not all of the negative was their it only gave me a black scan. So I trimmed it to fit in the slide carrier. Same result. So I put it in the slide carrier and said it was a positive film, then it scanned it and I had to turn that into a negative, then try to color balance and size it. The other half got scanned from an earlier attempt with the bad part of the negative. I tried to match, but no way. In any case, both pictures came from the same negative. It was fun trying though, and I learned a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

The negatives I had, AND the prints were all stuck. I managed to get a little bit of the image of a pit shot of the guys pitted to our left. This is also the same negative, and the only pit shots I have of our OPC racing besides the one of Baldy standing next to the Mustang.

Thread Information