Thread: Wayne Baldwin's Amazing Story: Baldy's Eual Eldred Baldwin

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

While we were in the middle of preparing for and racing the OPC race at Rockport, I was still working on our alky stuff. Mostly stripping, sanding and painting. Having never done any of this type of work prior to getting into boat racing, I was getting experience through reading directions and just doing it. Directions in those days seemed much simpler. It didn't take a lawyer to tell you not to get soaked in solvent, or breathe the fumes.

We got the boat trailer expanded for more runabouts, and had picked up a 13' DeSilva runabout from Bryan Marine. We also got rid of the Sid-Craft and bought a Marchetti hydro. It was 11' or 11-2. I can't remember. Baldy did all the deals. I just tried to make all the boats look neat. I still didn't have much in the way of mechanical skills, but I wanted things to look good for our launch into the 1967 racing season which was coming up soon.

Mark and I were two skinny kids, but I had two good white shirts lettered on the back with "BALDWIN RACING TEAM" across where the shoulder blades are, and below that "T-73" It was done professionally with fine stitching in that same brown color of our old paint scheme. Then after we got our "cool" racing team shirts, we ripped the sleeves off. We wore those sleeveless shirts to the beach where surfing was all the rage in 1966-67.

Whenever I hear Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrell singing "It Takes Two", I think of those days of sanding, painting, etc. The am radio was always on while I was working. Here is a photo of the trailer after adding the tandem axles, boat supports, and the new wood, stained and varnished added to the box. Still working on the 13' DeSilva at the time the pic was taken.

ADD: Until I found this picture, I had thought that I had done the rounded flowing type lettering. This was again the Navy style stencil. I guess those letters were on the next trailer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

WAYNE'S BEANS

Here is my recipe for beans.

In a colander, thoroughly wash and clean one pound bag of pinto beans. If you can get Anasazi, and or Rojo (red mexican beans) try them. They have an excellent flavor. NOTE: The red beans are NOT the same as kidney beans. I'm not sure of a recipe that makes kidney beans taste good, but I'm sure there is one somewhere. I like to buy a pound bag each of the Anasazi and Rojo and use half of each. Or you could double the recipe and use both bags. To double the recipe just use twice as much of everything and it turns out the same. In making these beans, Debbie had some leftover pinto beans, so the picture has a combination of the three beans. You can tell the Rojo, and I think everyone knows what a pinto looks like. The Anasazi are the ones like a "paint" horse......that is, a creamy white color with reddish paint splotches. These are worthwhile trying to find. In the south and southwest they are sold everywhere, I just never think of the midwest, northeast and east coast as bean country, but I'm sure they can be found. Cover the beans with water plus another inch or two. You can let them set overnight where they will swell and soften, then add extra water as needed, or you can let them set a few hours, or just go right to cooking. Add water as needed while simmering.

Cut one large onion into quarters, then cut the quarters in half. Add five or six large garlic cloves. You can run them through a garlic press, mince them with a knife, or just cut into a couple of small pieces and throw them in. You can use more garlic if you want. Garlic is good. A hint on getting the skin off the garlic. Lay the clove on the cutting board and place a wide blade knife, flat side on top. Then whack the blade with your other hand to smash the garlic. You don't have to smash it to smithereens, just enough to flatten it a little. The skin then comes off very easily. Usually in one piece.

Add 1 bay leaf. Salt and Pepper.

You can add bacon if you want, or ham hock. You can also save pieces of baked ham from a bone that you couldn't get to to slice. Just dig the ham pieces out with a knife and freeze it to save for when you cook beans. In this pot of beans I threw in a few frozen slices of smoked hog jowl. Baldy used to buy smoked hog jowl from a local smokehouse and it was delicious. I just found two different brands at a supermarket in Corpus, and bought both brands. The first was already sliced, but after we cooked some up it was too salty, so I saved the rest for beans.

Bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn the heat down to simmer. You may have to adjust the temperature several times to get it right. Stir occassionally and top off with water as needed. If you started off with too much water, just slide the lid slighty to one side to allow steam to escape. You can cook beans in one to two hours depending on the temperature, but I prefer two to three hours. The bean juice gets thicker and gives body to the beans rather than being like thin canned beans you get at some quickie BBQ joint.

ADD: Debbie was throwing stuff in the bean pot while I was dicing up the other onion for chili and I didn't get to mince the garlic. She wanted me to hurry up. It wasn't my job to take pictures, but to help get the beans and chili going so she could start on pies. So you can see little pieces of garlic at about 5:00 and in the middle. The onions are floating along with the bay leaf, and near the center are the slices of hog jowl. Onions are good too, so if you have small or medium size, just add another half or whole one. You don't have to be exact in measurements. Just use these ingredients, and the beans will know what to do. Just be sure to stir occassionally so you don't burn them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kidney bean salad

Drain 2 cans of kidney beans, brown and crumble 1 # of hamburger like you're making "Maidrites"

"Maidrite" is a registered trademark for a sloppy-joe type sandwich here in the midwest.

Karen Cadle worked in a "Maidrite" stand in Macomb and I hauled trash from "Maidrite" when I worked for BFI in Quincy. We can both tell you Maidrite uses 100% beef, as they told Alton Brown from the Food Network, but it ain't hamburger!

The Quincy store still sells hundreds of them every day. They taste great and that's all you need to know! Back to the bean salad.

Chop the following items:

1 medium onion
    2 stalks of celery
    1 large hard boiled egg

Mix all ingredients together with 2 tablespoons of sweet pickle relish and enough mayo to bind it all together. Then slice a second hardboiled egg and arrange neatly on the top of the salad, sprinkle with paprika and celery seeds.

Chill in the refrigerator before serving. Makes a great side dish for carry-ins and BBQ's but I like it by itself. Of course I'm like a cajun, I'll eat anything that don't eat me first!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay Gene...I'll give it a try. BTW stand by for the buttermilk pie recipe. I was on a job when Debbie baked two, so I don't have pics of the fabrication.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Could Say This Is A Boat Racing Site......

How come you carried your runabouts upside down on the trailer???

They say people are publishing their own books....Damn, Wayne...this stuff you write is great!!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default to make the recipe book complete.................

We need "Baldy's Gumbo".

I remember in the mid 70's, Ray, Baldy, Eileen and I calculated the cost of a bowl. At that time, with the ingredients he was using, it was almost 7.50 a bowl. Wonder what it would be now. Baldy also taught Eileen how to make the "rou" (sp?) Her recipe came from him, but I know it has changed some over the years. We don't always have quail and king crab to add, but there are other ingredients that make it taste great also. I remember that Gumbo was one of his contributions to your wedding reception, and very well received.

He was always very generous with the "hot stuff" when he cooked anything, but I never saw him be as careful as he was about the little HOT things he put in the gumbo. Several times I remember him counting very carefully the amount he put in, ( 6 or maybe 12, I seem to remember) and then just as carefully removing them after the gumbo was done so nobody got a whole one by mistake when they ate the gumbo. I think I remember he called them "chili pequines" or something similar?

Anyway Wayne, I agree with Ron, you need to write a book, although that is what you are really doing. For the folks that knew your Dad and can really appreciate those memories, it is a really nice trip back into the real heyday of Alky racing, and also the ones that never knew him will certainly gain some insight to one of the most fascinating folks ever to stand on the lake bank at a boat race, and who also was responsible for some of the great UIM Championship races in that time frame, and some of the rule changes he pushed for that we still run under today. And most of all the great memories for Eileen and I, and I am sure many others also.

Post Thanks / Like

Default roux

You were very close Bill Van....it's roux. Pronounced like your spelling (roo). Baldy used to tell a cajun joke regarding the "X" in cajun words, but I can't remember it. It was something along the lines of another joke where a cajun went to New York City, and while ordering a hamburger, he didn't want them to think he was a cajun so he told them to "cut the rice". Told by Justin Wilson, that is a very funny joke. The Gumbo is very definitely on the list, and will come up later. This cold weather snap caused Debbie to make chili, and that is why I took the opportunity. As I mentioned previously, it was Gertie Chance (Jack's wife) that made the first gumbo we ever tasted. It was right there at Gertie's stove that Baldy learned how to make roux. Joe Rome's Dad Roland was also an expert on making roux. He grew up eating roux based dishes.

The little hot peppers you mention are called chilipequins and grow in south texas. They are very hot indeed. Wild turkeys eat them with no ill effects, and I've heard you could detect the flavor in a turkey that fed on them on a regular basis. We called them, as most South Texans do chilipetin's (cheele-peteens)

Upside down runabouts? I really don't remember Ron. It might be that Baldy thought we could keep the bottom straighter by carrying them that way. As far as a book goes, it might be fun to try it one day. A long time ago Debbie told me I should write down all the stories I told the kids as they were growing up. When BRF came along and I started telling some stories, it got more involved when I found my old D Konig. An Amazing Story evolved as I went along, and that gave me the idea to put down these memories of my Dad, how he loved to entertain his boat racing friends, and all the times we had. Recently my brother Mark showed me how to cut and paste from Word Perfect, and he even copy and pasted stuff from BRF and e mailed it to me. I was frustrated at having lost a bunch of stuff I wrote and punched the wrong key when Debbie hollered for help. Mark, and others here, told me how to do that, but I wasn't sure. Now that I will play around with it, I might give it a try. For a long time I've wanted to be able to save "An Amazing Story" and have a hard copy in case some disasterous Chinese worm ate the guts out of BRF, so maybe I'll play around with that a little while and learn something.

Post Thanks / Like

DEBBIE'S HEART HEALTHY CHILI

Some day I will do Baldy's chili, but this is what Debbie made a few days ago. It's not a lot different than Baldy's but there is less fat. Baldy always used 100% chili meat....that is course ground beef that had fat and gristle in it. The whole point of chili originally was to use beef parts that had too much gristle to be used even in stew. Nowadays you can buy a healthier course ground beef since more people are trying to cook healthier versions of old style meals. Baldy didn't put hamburger meat in chili, but Debbie does. It's blasphemy for some chili afficianados, but hey....if you can eat more chili because it's healthier, and it does taste good....go for it. Debbie does half and half so you still get the chili meat texture.

1 pound coarse ground chili meat
    1 pound 85-90% lean ground beef
    2 tablespoons corn oil
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 large onion (make sure it's large) chopped up
    2 tablespoons chili powder (or more)
    3 tablespoons flour
    2 tablespoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper (or more)
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon cumin seed
    2 cups hot water
    Juice of 1 lime.

Brown the meat in oil. Add garlic and onion. Mix together the chili powder, flour, salt, pepper, oregano and cumin seed. Add to browned meat mixture. Add water and lime juice. Simmer covered for one to two hours.

ADD: You may note the volume of ingredients in the picture looks like a lot more. That's because Debbie always doubles this recipe. It's the same taste either way by just doubling everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Up side down boats

Ron
    We towed our runabouts up side down for two reasons. First if it rained water would not collect in the cockpit, which it would do even if the plugs were left out. Second we felt there was less strain on the tie down ropes. Which in retrospect might not have been the case as my brother can testify on the trip in 1965 to Alexander Bay the boat you see in this picture would lift off the frame at 110 MPH.
    David
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Post Thanks / Like

Quincy Welding hauled runabouts upside down as well. I am convinced we were able to keep the bottoms straight and true by doing this.

I think most people who were around at the time will tell you Quincy Welding usually performed very well in the runabout classes

I agree with David's thoughts about keeping the rain out also. A lot of runabouts were built without drain plugs which were standard on hydros. Rain weighs 8.4 # per gallon.12 gallons equal 100#. Who needs that weight sloshing around in the boat going down the highway. Yeah, I know put tarps on them.

We started hauling the runabouts upside down after we were caught in a deluge returning home from Alex one year. We stopped along the highway and I drilled holes in the bottoms (forward of the planing surfaces) to relieve the stress. It was far easier to plug those holes when we got home than it would have been to rework the bottoms.

I would love to be able to say Baldy learned that trick from me.

I think I'll ask him when I get to Lake Paradise

P.S. The chili looks great and I'll bet we could whip up a batch on a camp stove in the pits!

Thread Information