Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262753 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayne Baldwin's Amazing Story: Baldy's Eual Eldred Baldwin

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Wayne

I'm very happy to see you doing another story, you do a fantastic job.

Bill Pavlick

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bill...I appreciate the kind words. I've been thinking about this one for awhile to honor my Dad for what he did, and without him I never would have joined the most wonderful fraternity of racers that exists. I'm anxious to continue.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks from me too.....

Can't wait for you to get into some of your Dad's great recipes. I know there are more than a few drivers that gained weight sitting around the Baldwin dinner table...................
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

I have the pictures of "Oyster's ala Baldy" in the computer Charley....but I can't get to them right now. It's like when I broke the transmission linkage on my Pugeot in 4th gear. The motors running, I'm going down the road, everything works except I can't shift into another gear. I saw my photos downloaded, and they are filed away somewhere, but until I can get the computer to get the command to retrieve them....it's like a gear shift that's not connected to the transmission. I haven't had time to get the computer guy to come over in the last week.

So before the recipes (and I hope you and some others will actually give them a try) I will continue a little further ahead. I want to be able to take pics of the recipes as they are being prepared so it may help those that might want to try them. My Dad didn't look in any cookbooks, and sometimes they changed up as he tried different spices, but the basics were all the same.

Post Thanks / Like

What I really liked about flying was the different perspective. We always flew under 5,000 feet and mostly around 1,000 to 2,000 feet, and sometimes higher. Seems like the most popular light planes I heard people talking about flying were Piper Cubs and Cessna 150's. George Smith had a Cessna 172. What a sweet plane. Not too fast and scary, but with plenty of power. I still remember the FAA number and call sign. November 5379 Tango. N5379T.

I always got a little shot from my gall bladder as we took off and it would stay with me while I flew. I also got a slight headache. The fresh air from a cracked window would help, but it was looking down at all the things on the ground that got me through the slight nasea and headache.

I got the hang of stalls very quickly, but I hated the power on stalls more than anything we did. We would climb and climb until I thought we would spill over backward. Those power on stalls were the ones I really feared doing. Once, when George cut the power and said "We lost the engine.....find a place for an emergency landing", it never even bothered me. I just started down, adjusting trim tab and flaps and getting ready to set down in a field. When we were very close to the ground, I thought we really were going in. Then George shoved the throttle in and said "You were going to land with all those stumps and sticks on the ground?" He had never said anything about my choice until we were about 50 feet off the ground and he applied power. It DID get my attention and I thought about all the dead branches and stumps on the otherwise smooth grassy field. I guess I must have gotten his attention too, because I was not in the least bit concerned, nor said anything otherwise to him about setting down there.

Then one day he put the "hood" on me to see what it was like to fly under intruments, or "IFR" conditions(Intrument Flight Rules). I was used to the artificial horizon intrument by then which has a set of wings that show if you are climbing, descending,or banking right or left. As I flew along George would say "Watch your intruments". I was always veering up, and banking to the left, then I would correct. The longer we flew, the more my mind was bending to the right and I would correct left and high. George continued to tell me to look at the instruments. I was astounded to see the artificial horizon not on course. It became harder and harder to force it back in place. In my brain I knew which way level flight was, but it felt like a magnet going against me as I fought to bring the instrument back to level flight. When I was looking at some other instruments, George snatched the hood off and the ground was off my left shoulder. We were flying almost perpendicular to the ground and the artificial horizon was almost 90 degrees and we were slipping toward the earth. WOW! What a shock back to reality. I know exactly how unexperienced pilots can fly into the ground or stall in fog, rain, night or other conditions that limit the visibility.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

Did you get my PM?

and and isn't IFR, I Follow Roads?

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I got it Dave and sent a reply, but who knows where it went...maybe IFBS(I follow bad satellites). Yeah...Dave about 4:am the next morning it woke up thinking "that's not right"...seems like it was "rules", but then since I never went for my license....I didn't have to think about it anymore. My Son-in-Law's friend who has a computer business fixed the crashed one, and cleaned out the one that is in the racing room littered with Andrew's friends junk didn't download some of my hardware stuff, and forgot where he put it. Debbie just had him take the other computer and give it an enema without telling me, so that's where we are. I've been busy...he's been busy, but he said he will start doing the fix tonight. I appreciate your offer, but he can fix it, and says will take care of any hardware downloads I might need that he can't find.

ADD: To continue on...and also do what I had intended all along and forgot when I started. I planned to include some of the goings on during the year being discussed. The year in play is 1964.

Post Thanks / Like

OYSTERS A'LA BALDY

As anyone whoever ate at Baldy's may remember....all his cooking utensils down to the plates and flatware were commercial. He bought his cooking tools from a wholesale foodservice store. Big stainless steel pots, ladles, spatulas, strainers, platters, bowls, etc. The exceptions were the cast iron skillets and dutch oven from Grandma Arky. Baldy didn't have any plates other than salad plates. He served on the food on off white oval platters. That's what he cooked Oysters ala Baldy on, but I didn't have any. Debbie fried most of the oysters so I didn't have enough to cover the dish and I ran out of jalapenos, but you will get the idea.

Rinse as many fresh oysters as you want to get any bits of oyster shell off.

Arrange on the platter and cover with cheddar or if you prefer velveeta or other cheese slices. The cheese has salt, but you may lightly salt and pepper before adding cheese. Baldy always used cheddar. You can put in in pieces like I did, but if you have enough oysters to cover the platter, then just place the whole slices on top.

Add the jalapeno slices. I didn't realize we ran out. There should be at least one per oyster, but more is perfectly fine. I use the mild, or make my own. Eating jalapenos is not about being macho to see who can stand the hottest...it's all about flavor. But if you like the hot ones...go on ahead.

The oven should be preheated to 350 degrees. It doesn't take long to cook them. Only until the cheese is thoroughly melted. If you want, you can brown them a little first, then add the cheese and jalapenos. A lot of water will bake out while they are cooking, and that is normal. Baldy would sometimes tilt the platter and scoop up the soup with melted cheese calling it "oyster stew" with a wink.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yummy!

Looks awsome!

BTW--My Dad was a pilot too........Owned his own Beech Bonanza. I always remembered this:--IFR = I follow railroad

Post Thanks / Like

In reality Jeff...to me it looks yukky if you don't know oysters. But I can tell you must know them. The shiny bulbs of gray bubbling out look poisonous. But in actuality, it is delicious. Oysters spawned and grown in clean bays are sumptous. These pics are not the best representations of "Oysters ala Baldy", but I was anxious to get going again. I took them some time last year and because of computer problems wasn't able to hook up with my camera, I used these pics because the oysters we had a couple of weeks ago are no longer able to lay around for the camera.. That's why I suggested that those who may be quesy about raw oysters, may want to brown them a little before dressing them with the rest of the ingredients and finishing them out. However you do them though....if the oysters are fresh....it is a most delicious dish.

Thread Information