Thread: Wayne Baldwin's Amazing Story: Baldy's Eual Eldred Baldwin

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Read the Konig vs Quincy Flathead thread if you haven't already

Wayne:

Reference the thread I mention in my last post before this one, and there is a post by Ron affirming what you want to know regards US owners of the rotatry valve motors in that time frame. That is why I mentioned it in the post.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I remembered reading it a long while back Bill Van, but forgot the particulars. I don't remember what thread it was in and so I was taking the lazy way out.

ADD: I went back and looked in your Quincy Vs. Konig thread Bill Van, and while I remember you did a lot of research on it, I had forgotten how broadly you covered the introduction of the rotary valve to the U.S. That's what made the difference primarily, but I think the sliding pipes were one of the greatest advantage Konig had versus Quincy. It is also the reason why Dieter expressed his opinion that it was impossible for a four carb open stack Konig to outrun a rotary. With the sliding pipes instead of a can, Dieter would have been right, but I don't know anybody that slid the cans, although instructions came with the motors to explain how to do it.

Anybody that hasn't read the Quincy Vs. Konig thread should do so it is an excellent compliation of facts and history. In fact, for those who have, it's worthwhile to go back and read again. I can use some of this information I didn't have in this thread here as it moves along.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No but could of been

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Thanks Steve. Did you ever see or hear of any rotary valve motors in the U.S. with open stacks? I have a picture of one on my runabout, and maybe a hydro that I had forgotten about and can't remember what the deal was.

Bill Van...it was Ron Hill who won the John Ward in 1967, and I think it was with a rotary valve. Maybe Ron will confirm this

After all this research and looking at pit pictures and trailers, I have come to the conclusion that in 1967 we had only one Marchetti and ran A,B and C on it. No wonder Bob Hering wanted to know why we had such a big boat for A. I have been trying to think of a smaller Marchetti we had, but could not come up with an answer. In all the pictures, there are two DeSilva's and one Marchetti. That 4 carb really made it run, but maybe that's why I did better in A runabout than in A hydro. The first good A hydro I had was the spider boat, but that story is coming up soon. I may have to alter the post about the Konigs being shipped as earlier as I previously thought. I had originally thought we ran them at the Lake Corpus Christi race, and that has stuck in my mind through the years. Although Steve Litzell said the rotary valves were indeed in the U.S. by then, I can't find evidence we had any yet. So I will amend a few posts for those that haven't read this thread yet, will get a more accurate story. It only amounts to a few months in time anyway.
    Hi Wayne, The first of 4 cylinder motors were in USA about 65. They were the 4 carb type like yours. They were run and tested in Germany throughout 1964. I don't know of any here at that time. New design motors had to go through a approval process. If you lokk in some 1965 Roostertails, you will see adds from Overseas Dealers ( Scott Smith), that offer both 2 cylinder FC and also "New 4 cylinder C motor that is 6 MPH faster than FC". These motors came with open exhaust and also a muffler. By the time the B came out all 4 cylinders were rotaryvalve. The rotayvalve was just a improvement on the C but because the B was anew motor, it had to be approved. That is not to say that some racers did not buy a rotary C and install their open exhausts from a earlier type on it. Hope this helps. Steve

Post Thanks / Like

It does help a lot Steve, and thanks. I will need to post the pictures of mine though. I have tried to get better views, but nothing definitive. The megaphones on the rotary valve C seem half again as large in diameter and long as the ones that came with the 4 carbs. I will try to round up different angles. Sometimes when I scan them and enlarge, I can get a better idea than just looking through my loupe.

Another Baldy recipe coming up soon. Very soon!.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne:

In 69 Rex Hall and I ran off my trailer together. He did not have one, or it was too small and not suitable anymore, don't remember the specifics now, anyway we decided to go together. I was introduced to him by Stan Leavendusky Sr., and it was a good experience for me in many ways as Rex had started since I had quit before and was more knowledgeable about the newer engines, boats, etc., than I, and I felt it would be advantageous to us both to go that way. It was a good deal for him also as it cut expense for him as he had a growing family at the time. We had a few adventures and many mis-adventures during that time, but those tales will be kept confidential for now as I don't want to embarrass either of us needlessly.

NOW TO THE GERMAINE PART:

Rex had a new four cylinder rotary valve C Konig that he was running that year and I had an opportunity to get some exposure to the motor and the way it ran, and that was a big input into my decision to go to Konig as soon as possible, as described in the Konig vs Flathead thread.

One thing I specifically remember about the motor he had was it came equipped with a "tin can" type exhaust, and I remember that because the memory and partial OD dimension of it is burned into my upper bicep on the outside when I was helping carry his boat out of the water at Creve Couer Lake in St. Louis at a race there. Still have the scar 43 years later. It hurt like the dickens, but I held on as letting go would have meant dropping the boat as I was the only one on that side.

I also remember some written instructions that came with the exhaust that had a diagram and some directions that stated that for long courses/wide turns you could pull the can all the way up (shorten it on the manifolds) and for short courses you were to leave it all the way back for acceleration. I do not remember any directions about sliding the can while under way, and possibly there were some who did, but I don't remember Rex sliding it. Not saying he did not, just don't remember. There was a cable and clamp arrangement to put it where you wanted to run it and then hold it in place at that location.

The first expansion chambers I remember myself for the Konigs were ZAK's, and you may remember me purchasing yours (ZAK pipes) from your Dad for both the C and D Konig's I had, probably after you had converted yours over to the Konig sliding pipes. A discussion of expansion chambers for and on Konig's can be found on another of the threads I think you started, and some specific time frames are mentioned there as to their appearance.

I have read with interest Litzell's posts on the approval of the rotary valve models of the Konig, and if I understand him correctly he is of the opinion that the C and D did NOT have to be approved by the APBA commission in 68 as the basic 4 cyl models of both motors were in existence prior to that time in the 4 carb models, and because of that the rotary valve models were just considered a "modification" to the original design. I has occasion to be acquainted with some of the personalities that were on the PRO commission at that time frame, and NOT to indicate Steve does not know what he is talking about, but I have a hard time believing some of the commission members of the time would have taken that attitude (that the rotary valve was just a modification) about approval of an engine so superior not only to the 4 carb C & D Konig models upon introduction, but also the Quincy Flatheads also. Indication of that reticence is by the fact it took APBA a year longer to approve the engine than NOA. Perhaps the earlier approval by NOA is where the "it's only a modification" came from?

All of the information (and I certainly have not been or am not privy to everything regards this subject) would indicate that ALL the rotary valve motors were subject to approval by APBA, and not just the "B" model. I would appreciate knowing just where this information came from and if Steve could share it with us along with any documentation. This would only reinforce and verify this history being discussed and posted on BRF further.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been trying to do the research away from this thread so as to keep with the continuity, but I can see that we are liable to head into a full blown discussion of transition points of Konigs both 4 carb, rotary valves, sliding pipes, etc. I plan to cover much of this later, but not in a technical aspect. It will be as Baldy and our team advanced and how he saw our boat racing future. What Baldy did to help advance it. I really appreciate all the input, but I don't want to get sidetracked into so much that I lose sight of the story about Baldy, so let's do what Baldy would do when supper was ready. And Bill Van would know this as well as anyone. Most everybody was waiting around the bar watching him prepare the meal and knew when it was time to grab a plate and serve yourself. That's the way it was done. Sometimes there might me someone wandering around in the yard, or in the shop and he would holler for them to come to supper. He usually didn't do it twice. If he did, it was because you were new, or he figured you were too far away to hear the first time.

So next up is Baldy's Shrimp Salad.

Post Thanks / Like

BALDY'S SHRIMP SALAD

Baldy was an excellent cooker of boiled shrimp. It does not take long at oil to boil a shrimp. You don't put the shrimp in the water at all until it is in a vigourous and rolling boil. Then you throw them in. You do not wait until it comes back to a boil and start timing. You only have to boil them for about three minutes after they are dunked. You have the crab boil already in the cold water when you crank up the heat, and the shrimp should not be frozen. They can be cold, but not frozen. The short cooking time means the shrmp will be done, easy to peal, and not rubbery. When they are done, throw them in water with ice cubes and they will be easy to peal.

For Baldy's Shrimp Salad: (He made it for a lot more, but this is for three or four servings--double or triple as necessary)

One pound boiled shrimp. chopped into 1/2 in pieces. ( I didn't show that, and we didn't boil these shrimp. We bought them boiled already. If you do that, you have to spice them up since you didn't boil them in the shrimp boil. Use lemon pepper, Mrs. Dash, or other spices. That's what you will see in the picture of the unsliced shrimp.)

Two cups of chopped Romaine lettuce.

Juice of one lemon. Add this to the avacado in the bowl. It adds flavor, but avacado will very quickly start to turn dark after it's mashed. The acid in the lemon will retard that greatly, so you can mash the avacado at any time during the process without worry if you have liberally doused it with lemon juice first.

Two stalks of celery chopped fine.

Chives chopped fine. (We use fresh from our garden)

1/4 teaspoon of salt.

1/4 teaspoon of pepper (crushed black)

3 tablespoons of light mayonaisse

3 tablespoons of light sour cream

2 large ripe avacados (or three smaller ones) ripe, mashed.

Additional salt and pepper if desired.

Makes 4-5 cups. (That's Debbies dietition terminology) It's enough for two hungry people or three to four with side dishes.

It is an easy and excellent dish to make. Baldy often made it as an appetizer or salad for one of his twelve pound sirloin steak extravaganzas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

It is very delicious. Baldy also made a version with very fine chopped dill pickles, finely chopped onions and a couple of moderately chopped boild eggs. Baldy never measured anything so these ingredients can be varied as you please, because that't the way he did it. Here is the result of tonight's recipie. It was very delicious.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Tomorrow is the thirty fifth anniversary of Debbie and I going to my second race in Berlin.

It was the Weltpokal (World Cup), and I had been invited back to race at the same place I ran the previous year. This time however, Debbie and I would stay in the "Honigmonde" suite prepared for us by our friend Jenny.

Debbie and I were to be married the middle of April in 1977. A few months earlier I was invited to come race with my friends in Berlin, so I asked Debbie if we could postpone our wedding date a week or two. She said "No!" "Let's move it up and I will go with you." So that's what we did.

I was in a hurry last night, and wanted to get all the pictures and recipies to bed And I did. Tomorrow we go to Goliad to the Presidio.

Post Thanks / Like

Deer season was upon us and the first to take advantage of the hunt was Jack Chance. He showed up at Baldy's in mid November and bagged a buck. Of course Jack was not a prizewinner, but he and Baldy had become the best of friends. Jack did anything he could do to help us with our racing even though we were direct competitors of his driver, Clayton Elmer. Jack came down as often as he could to help Baldy get the deer lease ready for hunting.

The ten thousand acre Freeborn Ranch had everything we wanted to hunt in South Texas. There were gently rolling grasslands, for quail. Steep banked, heavily wooded dry creeks for wild turkeys, and deer when the wind was blowing strong, short caliche mesa's overlooking draws on both sides for deer, rolling hills with scrub brush, mesquite forests, several areas with oceans of prickly pear and rattlesnakes, and a big tank full of bass and catfish. Jack, Baldy, Mark and I went to prepare all the stands, both ground blinds and elevated stands before the hunting started. We each had our favorite.

Before going out to take down plywood covered openings, tie down canvas roofs, and do whatever cleanup left by owls and rodents that somehow found a way to make a home in the stands, we stopped by the little store at midway. We stocked up with water, Cokes, Dr. Pepper, cervalait, sharp cheddar cheese sliced off a big wheel, bread, crackers, salami, onions and pickels. We would have several long hard days of inspecting and getting ready We had eight high stands, two ground blinds, two tree stands and a couple of makeshift blinds in rattlesnake country featuring ten foot blue indigo's slithering around looking for rattler's for supper.

Thread Information