Thread: Wayne Baldwin's Amazing Story: Baldy's Eual Eldred Baldwin

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are some more pics from testing that morning. I was mistaken on the date. These slides say March 1965, so it was at least a month earlier than I mistakenly remembered. I had thought it was closer to school being out.

The first one is Freddy Goehl from Bryan. Second is Bruce Nicholson who called Pasadena, Texas home back in those days.. He ran a larger runabout in class B during the race. Third is the late great Raymond Jeffries out of San Antonio. Finally, there is Michael Mihalczeck from San Antonio (sp?) in the little Mishey hydro. ironically, Baldy would buy us this very rig a few months later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

This is the only photo I have of the pits. Wish I had taken some after all the boats had arrived. The boats in the water were Bruce Nicholson's and Bill Knipe's. I don't know all the drivers that were there, but here are some I remember, and think were.

Bruce Nicholson and Bill Knipe from Pasadena. Raymond Jeffries, Joe Bowdler, Artie Lund, Lucky Lund and Curtis and Michael Mihalczech from San Antonio. Lee Little from Dallas. Arlen Crouch and Freddie Goehl from Bryan. Dave Fuqua and Larry Baker from Corpus Christi. Dan Waggoner from Flour Bluff. Maybe Jim Mouton from (Lake Charles?) Maybe Phil Crown from Dallas.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark and I both signed up to run B runabout with our Merc powered Nomad. Baldy was going to sign up our sister Jan to run our 12 foot open cockpit MFG with a 9 1/2 horsepower Evinrude, but that was just to much for the officials and they denied it. It was lucky they agreed to sign up Mark and myself because we did not have a dead man throttle or a real racing life jacket, and we had half helmets like motorcycle cops wear with the leather on the bottom half. If there would have been a big turnout, we probably would have been turned down. If that had happened, I'm not sure if we would have pursued racing......But...it didn't.

March is a bad time for predicting weather in South Texas, and it turned out to get very windy about the time the races started. They explained to us at the driver's meeting all about the clock and the one thing I remember is don't be across the line before the hand hits zero and the cannon fires. I drove the first heat and Mark drove the second.

When the one minute clock had about fifteen seconds left it was obvious I was going to jump even though I wasn't going very fast. The rest of the field was back about eighty yards when I got off plane and did a doughnut to eat up time. When those guys saw me do that, they made sure not to come close to me before the start.. So they laid back and when I saw I would be okay, I opened the throttle all the way and headed for the first turn. To my surprise I was the first one through the corner. Then even greater surprise when I led down the back straight and through the bottom turn. The water was very rough and that Nomad outweighed all the other runabouts. Bruce Nicholson and Bill Knipe put their motors on larger runabouts, but Dan Waggoner and Larry Baker only had their A/B boats and so were bouncing all over the place. I cannot remember when Bruce and Bill passed me, but I led the first lap. Seems like they went by in the first turn on the second lap or the back straight. I can remember however, the little Nomad leaping clear of the water in the first turn and on the back straight. It was rough even for that boat. I finished third in the three lap heat.

In the second heat, I was in Baldy's Thompson taking pictures. Baldy filmed the whole thing on 8 mm film, but I haven't had anything to watch it on since he lost the projector. After my episode in the first heat, the judge made it clear to Mark that altering your position past the safety bouy was not allowed. So he stayed back and did not get the head start I had. He finished forth and I think Larry Baker dumped. I have a pic of him behind Dan Waggoner in the bottom turn. Bruce won again followed by Bill, then Dan and Mark. They gave me a break and did not disqualify me. They liked having new blood in racing, and one of the racers there was getting out. Michael Michalczech was calling it quits and Baldy made a deal with his dad Curtis to by the Mishey, Merc/Quincy deflector, trailer, props and parts.

I don't know who the hydro drivers are. One pic with Dan Waggoner and Mark, and the last was Larry Baker with a Merc/Quincy deflector on what I believe is a Fillinger..
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 07-05-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: mistake

Post Thanks / Like

Lone Star paid 20, 15, 10 and 5. Here are a couple of pics of Mark holding our winnings. Gosh what a young looking kid. This was the only race I went to the pits by boat. We did not have a car or a trailer, fuel, props or tools in the pits. When Baldy bought his new place in the next cove over to the southwest, we ran on a different course but did not have to get on a highway to get to the pits.....just back the trailer down the front lawn to the water. The first race Tim Butts ran in, he also drove his boat to the pits. He won his race.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Groady Potatoes

Time for another recipe. This was from Debbie's Mom Marcella. If Baldy liked something he would latch on to it. Sometimes he would try to improve upon a recipe like he did Gertie Chance's (Jack's wife) gumbo. At times his modifications worked, sometimes they were good, but just different, and in this case he didn't try to mess with it. It's very simple, easy to put together, but it's not an exact science on cooking times. You just have to watch it so you don't burn it, but it's not too runny.

Peel six large potatoes and slice 1/4 inch thick. Take a large onion and slice between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick. Doesn't have to be exact. I prefer the large yellow onions, but you can use either one. slice up a box of Velveeta (tm) cheese. Try for 1/4 inch slices or less. You know how tough that can be, but doesn't matter how uniform the slices are as long as you can cover everything.

Put down a layer of sliced potatoes in a big casserole dish and layer that with onions. Then put down a layer of Velveeta (tm) cheese on top of that. Do it one more time and stick the dish into an oven preheated to 350. Debbie cooked this on July 4 and it too her longer than she remembered, so just go for 1 1/2 hours, but check it after an hour or so and monitor it. This is called GROADY CHEESE. We had not had this in a couple of years and nothing is written down, so you can hardly make a mistake because it always comes out tasting good.

Note: the first pic is just starting the second layer with potatoes. The second photo is a paper plate of the sliced Velveeta (tm) that will top it off. Also....the large onion we use is about the size of a grapefruit. If you can't find one that big, then slice up two.

Post Thanks / Like

Some chunks of ham scattered among the taters sounds good to me.

Velveeta also makes good bait for trout and catfish. The real beauty of that is if the fish aren't biting, you can eat your bait!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gene...........

Sounds like you are talking from experience. Having faith in your ability............have you ever been skunked? Probably not.

Sounds good Wayne............on the list of side dishes here in New Smyrna. Thanks.
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Default Eat Your Bait

Growing up in California, I never thought of myself as a fisherman. Ellis Terrill, Wade;s son, could catch fish at every race we went to. Bobby Hada's mom would take me fishing on the "half day barge"...

We usually used shrimp for bait, but when we went fishing off the jetty,in Seal Beach, we'd reach down and grab muscles and crack them open on the rocks. The Butter Mouth perch loved those mussels.

The first time I went to Europe, I saw people eating mussels and came close to barfing, as the thought of eating those sucker threw me into spasms...

About 8 years ago, I was in Harve DaGrace Maryland and saw new ENGLAND FARM GROWN MUSSELS on the menu. I decided to try them. Eight years later, I probably eat mussels once a month at Zubie's. I don't think of them as bait, but the thought does cross my mind.

Thanks, Gene for your cheese story!!!

And Wayne, thank you for your "Baldy" story. Sounds to me that Baldy was and "TED MAY" from Texas!!!!

Hey what is what hyisen??? I feel a Ted May and Paul Drake story....in the making!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what Hysien is. Phoenetically it should sound like something in another language. Unless you are saying "Gwack aa mo lee" (guacamole) instead of "waak uh mo lay"

I understand exactly what you mean Ron. But Baldy was Baldy and Ted May was Ted May. They were souls of a kind but also very unique and stand alone. You couldn't cast and stand up a statue of Ted May at Garden Grove, Galveston, or Lake Havasu and people would think of both Ted and Baldy. You also wouldn't have a gumbo pot at Alexandria, a rack of prime rib on the pit at DePue, or fried venison, mashed potatoes and gravy at Barbon and think of Ted May. If....IFFFF....there were not the Rocky Mountains and deserts putting so many miles between the great states of Texas and California.....I could not imagine the stories those two guys could have made.

ADD: I don't know of the stories you're brewing, but one thing I do know.........they will be interesting and I am looking forward to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grass in the Lake

Paul and Ted were talking about reaching down and grabbing water Moccassins I thought, But later I understood that they were grabbing hand fulls of water grass called hyisin...

W Ted and Baldy were in the Navy at the same time....right?

Thread Information