Thread: Wayne Baldwin's Amazing Story: Baldy's Eual Eldred Baldwin

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All the racers from the north extremes, Midwest and west coast that had been entertained by Baldy a couple of weeks ago were gone. But we still had the Lone Star Championships to finish. Baldy's race course was the southmost of the circuit, but he still kept up the rules for records. The racecourse was resurveyed after Kay Harrison set the three mile record and it was surveyed again prior to the Lone Star race.

Most of the Texas racers came back to race again as they had found Baldy's race course to be a very good one. The race the previous spring had made them aware of the great pit area, and with the Lone Star officials, clock, and other essentials, Baldy's race course at Barbon was established on the Lone Star circuit. Bobby Wilson and some others that had a six or seven hundred round trip to race at Baldy's spent time on their equipment and did the turnaround to come back.

We didn't get quite the coverage we did for the National Outboard Association World Championships, but we still got media coverage. There was not enough time to do the hype like we did before, but Corpus Christi sports editor Roy Swann covered the races. Probably more than I have copies of such as the pre race publicity.

As far as everything else though, Baldy had it all covered from portable bathrooms to the ambulances, race course protection from the Texas game wardens in patrol boats, concessionaires, and lists and phone numbers of area motels. We had a good attendance even though Baldy's was a long way and a short time since they had last been to Baldy's.

Post Thanks / Like

I added Jim Wilkins and Bob McFarland's names to post #725 page 73 and a newspaper article from the Caller Times on post #749 on page 75. Jim Wilkins was from Garland, Texas between Dallas and Fort Worth and Bob McFarland was from Granite City, Illinois.

Post Thanks / Like

I've taken some time to continue on to the Texas State Championships (Lone Star Boat Racing Association and NOA District 15 Championships dual sanction) to see if I could find anyone else who could remember the actual racing and not the socializing and water hyacinths. Everybody remembered them, but the Texas racers got facts confused between the two races since they were only two weeks apart forty five years ago. I guess I have to give them and myself some slack, but since I am writing this, and it happened in Baldy's front yard, what I say is what happened unless someone else steps up to say what they remember.

Most of the Texas racers came back to Baldy's for the final Lone Star Boat Racing Association and National Outboard Association dual sanction race in Texas for the year 1968. It was again a two day event. September 28 and 29, 1968. I have not found any newspaper articles about it. The short turnaround and the time spent to get the NOA World Championships up then the Lone Star Championships was probably too much for Baldy to handle. Especially with Clayton Elmer moving his family to Corpus Christi the week before the NOA World, plus everything else in the oil and gas work that needed Baldy's attention. The Barbon Estates real estate venture was still in it's infancy with surveying going on, but Alice Specialty and Emmord's Boat Barn required daily work.

Pulling off a second half of the 1968 National Outboard Association World Championships at this time of year was very successful, and Baldy relaxed a little bit before the next round. All the people from the Lone Star officials who had presided two weeks earlier knew what was coming and were prepared. The racers that wanted to come knew also. Likewise all the emergency personnel and Texas Parks and Wildlife personnel. Baldy had let everyone know in advance what was up, and in fact had planned for that same contingency when he organized everything for the World Championships. Even though we got to run some of the Lone Star races in between the NOA World Championships, the off and on again weather on Saturday two weeks earlier had prevented a full program of racing. Baldy's idea of the format worked perfectly to complete the NOA World for 1968, but all the Lone Star guys went for a redo for a full and complete Lone Star Championships two weeks later.

Therefore, September 28 and 29, 1968 a bunch more boats were pitted in Baldy's front yard. Bobby Wilson and Denny Henderson made the return trip from the North Texas area. The Houston, Port Arthur and Beaumont teams came back, and of course those from San Antonio, Rockport, and Corpus Christi area were there. We had mostly full fields in the smaller classes...not so much in D and F hydro, but D and F runabout were just about filled in Texas at that time. We had a step up and step down rule that allowed the smaller bore to step up to the next class and deflectors to step down to the class below. Therefore, we always had lots of boats competing, and the drivers could compete in several classes with less rigs. A guy with a B Merc deflector could race in A Runabout, A Hydro, B Runabout and B Hydro with one motor and two boats. A lot of drivers just had a lot of fun racing with less expenses, but seasoned drivers were able to win with the older less powerful motors with their starting skills and driving tactics.

Post Thanks / Like

The one race in particular that had me confused was the A Runabout. The other was B Runabout which Bobby Wilson remembered, but was not contested as a World Championship race. The A Runabout was, and Bobby won it. This is the race as I remember it. I could have happened at either race, except I don't remember the water hyacinths interfering at any other race. Problem is I don't remember Jerry Simison or Kay Harrison breathing down my neck, and I did not show up in the results of the NOA finals. But the hyacinths were moving like they did on the NOA finals on Sunday. So I concluded that since no one remembers, this race must have occurred two weeks later, even though what Floyd Hopkins posted in THE ROOSTERTAIL is nowhere close. So while I think Floyd might be in error, and I think this race might have occurred two weeks earlier, the only way it could have happened was I jumped the gun (most probably) and Jerry Simison was far back (highly unlikely.) Anyway, I only tell this because I can remember so vividly the race, but not the day. And I only remember racing against Bobby Wilson. He didn't remember it.

Got a good start that I remember in A Runabout. (might have been close and I was DSQ, but I always thought I was legal). I was surprised to jump out in front and get a good lead. Not being a good runabout driver, I pressed as hard as I could to keep from being caught. The bottom turn was kind of funky. It was a surveyed course, but the exit bouy had been surrounded by about a 60 foot diameter of water hyacinths. They had drifted in there and been hung up for almost an hour after the wind had died down. Baldy had conferred with the referee and said day rules were that the third bouy did not have to be cornered until notice came from the judges stand.

By the time the A Runabout race started, the water hyacinths had drifted clear of the whole course, although patches were still all around. When I broke into the lead, I did what I always did. I drove the whole race course without thinking about it. I thought Bobby Wilson would come up and pass me, but he couldn't. He would if he could. I remember being surprised that no one was coming close except Bobby. I was able to hold him off through the turns in which he was superior, but I had enough acceleration and top end that he couldn't lop off any distance through the corners.

Bobby and I were pretty much equal except I was in front, and I could choose the line into the corner. Bobby had been following me the whole race, and if I made one bobble, he would have gotten around. Except I wasn't making any bobbles. I wish Bobby would have remembered this race when I asked him, but he didn't. I don't know if he had planned it or it was a last minute maneuver, but he executed flawlessly.

Since I had the lead, we were running the whole race course, and nobody from the officials on down thought about the previous ruling regarding the final turn bouy from nearly an hour earlier, I ran the full course as had all the other boats following me. At the apex bouy in the middle of the turn, Bobby Wilson made his final turn for the finish line. This middle bouy was the one being used for the previous several heats when the ruling was made. Thus Bobby's shortcut sprint for the checkered flag was legal and he beat me by a few feet.

After that race, the course was declared open again. We had a good laugh about how Bobby played it. I wish he would have remembered because Baldy and I always laughed about it and thought how clever he was and I always wanted to know when he planned to make his move.

Post Thanks / Like

The race two weeks later in the same location has caused some fuzzy memories. Bobby Wilson rembered this story, but he thought it was from the NOA World. Joe Rome said he didn't see Jack Chance shooting at Jerry Simison's pit crew's pet because he, Louis and pit crew were in Mexico that Saturday night. Floyd Hopkins Roostertail ad only confuses the two weekends of racing at Baldy's. I'm going to tell what I have heard about this two week period of racing just for the stories and not the accuracy of when it happened. It did happen, but nobody can say for sure what weekend. I am almost 100 percent positive that these stories were the second weekend because of NOA World Championship rules.

In the Lone Star Boat Racing Association we allowed step ups as was common in many N.O.A. events. We also allowed step downs where a less powerful deflector motor could legally run in the next class below. Lots of racing with a minimum expense. A seasoned driver with good starting and driving skills could win. Others with limited budgets could get in a lot of racing with one motor and two boats.

Thus it was on Saturday, September 28 when Bobby Wilson entered his B Merc deflector in the A runabout class. Louis Williams, Bruce Nicholson, Freddie Goehl and Clayton Elmer were the top drivers in A Runabout in Texas at that time. I don't know why Bobby was running a deflector but he beat Louis in one heat. He also set a record. And the record was five miles faster than the old record which Louis Williams held. The race course was still surveyed and everything was in place for competition records. Louis was upset and told Bobby that there was no way he could have broken his (Louis's) record with a deflector motor, and especially by five miles per hour. Bobby, an easy going guy with a big grin, just said "I beat you. I don't know about the time."

Post Thanks / Like

Bobby Wilson says that after that race on Saturday, Louis went to Mexico. Joe Rome drove the 90 miles down Highway 44 and then 59 to Laredo. With Joe were Louis Williams, Alvin Roddy, Reles Le Blanc and Andy Weller. All you had to do then was pull up to the border crossing where IH 35 now ends, get a look over, then drive on. Inside Mexico...Nuevo Laredo...they found a young boy about 12 or 14 that would guide them to "Boys Town". Never been there myself...or even wanted to, but everyone in Texas new about Boy's Town. Joe, Louis and crowd were there just to see what it was about.

On their way there their kid guide pulled out a chewed on stogie and lit it up. It stunk up the car immediately and Andy Weller hollered "Put that stinkin cigar out you little &**^^%". That little Mexican boy whipped out a knife and stuck the point at Andy's face. He told Andy to apologize and as Joe Rome likes to tell the story tongue in cheek the Mexican kid says "My mother is a virgin". The cigar was disposed of and they continued on to Boy's Town.

After looking at a couple of sex shows they were headed out when some worn out prostitute started checking out Alvin Roddy. "Roddy" as everyone called him, was in his sixties at that time. Louis Williams, who is known for being close with his money, held up a twenty and pointed at Roddy. She was pulling him through the door as Roddy protested. He hung on for dear life to the door jam's and hollered "Louis...Joe...my friends....you are deserting me!" In the end they saved him.

They had told the kid that had shown them the way to Boy's Town to watch their car. When they came out, it was time to settle up. Louis gave him some cash, but the boy said he wanted more. Louis refused and got in the car. The boy picked up a brick to smash the windshield so Louis immediately got back out of the car. He went to negotiate. In the meantime he told Joe to get behind the driver's seat and when he gave the signal, to be ready to hit the gas.

Louis apologized to the kid...told him to put the brick down and asked him how much he should pay. When the kid dropped the brick, Louis took off for the open passenger door and jumped in and told Joe to hit it. Joe spun rocks, and as he looked in his rear view mirror he saw the kid run around to find something to throw. Joe saw him launch the brick, but he threw too hard and it landed in front of their car. Joe says he has been to Mexico twice. "The first time...and the last time".

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Bobby Wilson says that after that race on Saturday, Louis went to Mexico. Joe Rome drove the 90 miles down Highway 44 and then 59 to Laredo. With Joe were Louis Williams, Alvin Roddy and Roy Christian. All you had to do then was pull up to the border crossing where IH 35 now ends, get a look over, then drive on. Inside Mexico...Nuevo Laredo...they found a young boy about 12 or 14 that would guide them to "Boys Town". Never been there myself...or even wanted to, but everyone in Texas new about Boy's Town. Joe, Louis and crowd were there just to see what it was about.

On their way there their kid guide pulled out a chewed on stogie and lit it up. It stunk up the car immediately and Roy Christian hollered "Put that stinkin cigar out you little &**^^%". That little Mexican boy whipped out a knife and stuck the point at Roy's face. He told Roy to apologize and as Joe Rome likes to tell the story tongue in cheek the Mexican kid says "My mother is a virgin". The cigar was disposed of and they continued on to Boy's Town.

After looking at a couple of sex shows they were headed out when some worn out prostitute started checking out Alvin Roddy. "Roddy" as everyone called him, was in his sixties at that time. Louis Williams, who is known for being close with his money, held up a twenty and pointed at Roddy. She was pulling him through the door as Roddy protested. He hung on for dear life to the door jam's and hollered "Louis...Joe...my friends....you are deserting me!" In the end they saved him.

They had told the kid that had shown them the way to Boy's Town to watch their car. When they came out, it was time to settle up. Louis gave him some cash, but the boy said he wanted more. Louis refused and got in the car. The boy picked up a brick to smash the windshield so Louis immediately got back out of the car. He went to negotiate. In the meantime he told Joe to get behind the driver's seat and when he gave the signal, to be ready to hit the gas.

Louis apologized to the kid...told him to put the brick down and asked him how much he should pay. When the kid dropped the brick, Louis took off for the open passenger door and jumped in and told Joe to hit it. Joe spun rocks, and as he looked in his rear view mirror he saw the kid run around to find something to throw. Joe saw him launch a rock, but he threw too hard and it landed in front of their car. Joe says he has been to Mexico twice. "The first time...and the last time".
    Way to go get away driver Joe!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Joe,I also have been the first time and the last time.

Post Thanks / Like

After Joe and I got to be good friends and he went to races with us that Louis Williams didn't attend, one of the things Joe always did was have me drive around whatever town we were racing in and find a parts store. Then Joe would go in and talk "parts business" with the guys behind the counter. I just stood to the side and listened. One of the things Louis Williams did when he had the chance was to go to the local funeral homes and talk "undertaker business" with the guy behind the coffin. Joe stood to the side and listened. Well, that was one of the things they did on their trip to Nuevo Laredo before Boys Town. They went to "Sanchez Funerales y Ambulances".

Everyone probably knows that there is sometimes a lot of superstition down in South Louisiana. With all the swamps, gators, snakes, ancient oaks draped in moss and some dark, dark nights with hoot owls, it seems reasonable to have a little spookiness deep down inside. Joe saw Reles LeBlanc's face pale and take on a look of unease when he walked close to a door and saw a real human skull with a red light behind the eyes staring down at him. That was the embalming room, and when the red light was on, they were working on a corpse.

The owner of the funeral home gave them all a tour and Louis noticed that he kept the body preservative (formaldehyde or whatever they used) inside an old refridgerator. Louis asked him why he did that and the director's reply was "Oh....you know. The rats!" Louis asked Mr. Sanchez what he charged, and Mr. Sanchez took out a pencil and wrote on the wall and told Louis "1,300.00 without fluid and 1,500.00 with fluid."

Post Thanks / Like

The next morning Louis was still bothered by that record Bobby set, and he set out to find Bobby in his pits. Louis told Bobby "You beat me fair and square, and I have no problem with that, but that record can't be right". Louis knew Bobby was one of the best racers in the country wherever he ran, and only someone of his caliber could have beat Louis with that B deflector and everyone in the pits knew that too. It was just that record that galled Louis. Bobby knew it was eating at Louis and he said "A record is not worth our friendship Louis. I'm going to the judges stand and tell them I will not accept it. I think there must have been some kind of mistake." And before Louis could say anything, the PA system broke the quiet in the pits that Sunday morning. Referee Homer Alford announced that there had been a mistake in calculating the competition record in A runabout the day before and that Bobby Wilson didn't set a new B Runabout record. That was a relief to both Louis and Bobby, and the matter ended right there.

Thread Information