Thread: Wayne Baldwin's Amazing Story: Baldy's Eual Eldred Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see all the tech manual pages reproduced, Wayne. Sort of churlish to ask for more, but if you run across a drawing of the can muffler for the old FB engine, I'd sure like to see that (have an old, mildly hopped-up Y80, originally a Restricted B project, that I want to make into a playmotor, and think that old can muffler might work well. This was a project of a couple of years ago, but then I got stuck with being caregiver for an old gal dying of lung cancer (and for what this is worth to anyone, if you were to see close-hand what a hard, ugly way that is to die, you might never pick up another cigarette . . . ).

(Wayne, you should be getting the book in the mail any day now).

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I did Smitty and many thanks. They will be very interesting to read. I've skipped through and read parts of both. I sent you a PM, but my box was full, so I cleared out a couple and it popped back up as a notification. I thought it went through.

I might have a drawing for the FB Smitty. I'm going to look after I post this, because I know right where it should be. Should is the key word.

ADD: Sorry Smitty, it wasn't there, just copies of the guts of the 4 cyl cans. I think I have seen or had one at one time.

Allen J. Lang

Hi Wayne, Looking at the parts pricing, it remind me of the 60s when building a D quincy looper. The heavy duty rods were $11 plus change each. Try to find a used one now for around $100. Pricing today, it takes a bit of cash to even purchase a 125cc pro engine.The price for even a L/U is more than my D looper cost. You need a great job to run now.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The cans on the two cylinder and four cylinder are very similar. Just imagine the motor with megaphone exhaust and a can around them. I think I have the measurements on the B at home but I'm working on the road for a few weeks, Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, is the volume of the can not important? Is there no reflected positive wave of any consequence?

Wayne, no PM came through.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No The can was just to quiet the motor. The megs inside did the tuning, The end of the can was hemispherical to bounce the waves toward the opening at other end. Of course the meg size and diameter was different on the four cylinders as opposed to the twins. Also the cans were the same OD, just different lengths, Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Drawing shows the can was rolled from 0.75mm sheet, about 22ga. As heavy as I remember those 4-cyl exhaust cans being, I'd have guessed a heavier guage. As to my Y-80 playmotor, I briefly considered trying to fabricate a set of pipes to make the Y-80 sound just like a converted 20H. That sound, of a field of BUs making a start at a spring Lake Lawrence race in 1964, instantly sold me on outboard racing; I loved that sound, and wish I could see one more BSH race before I croak. Unfortunately, I double-checked what I had done to my Y-80. I knew I had opened the ports a little, but when I got the block out of the dusty box, I saw that I had penciled "93" (degrees ATDC opening), which is for an engine that spins another couple of thousand rpm higher than a 20H. So I'll just make a quiet exhaust, which is probably smarter anyway.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Baldy called Mr. Keller on the telephone rather than write letters. We got our first Keller from Bryan Marine in Bryan, Texas run by Freddie Goehl and Arlen Crouch. It was 50-75 mph and just right for our brand new A-B DeSilva runabout. That one was brand new and had a light metallic blue face. Baldy also bought from Freddie and Arlen a used Keller that I think might have been something like 40-80 mph. Even though Baldy called Mr. Keller on the telephone, Keller always sent back a letter with a comment. Baldy would send our "Kellers" in periodically to be recalibrated, and then of course later we would buy "Keller's" direct when our speeds became greater. I think I only have one short comment left that Mr. Keller sent to Baldy inside a package of a recalibrated "Keller". I will post that note at the appropriate time in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Phone Calls Were EXPENSIVE

I remember "KELLER" sending type written notes, always with news from the North West USA. He usually talked about the "FANTON" (Jerry Walin).

My brother's KR "A" in our show room has a Keller "TORQUE TUBE" (Mid section), All my three KG-4's had Keller thottle attachments.

We used Keller "KICK OUTS" but my dad machined "PIPES" to slip over the kick out pin that were much smaller in creating angles....from 1/8 diameter to 1/2 diameter, not to mention my dad made "THRUST BLOCKS" WITH A SCREW ADAPTER, MUCH LIKE BTM ADJUSTABLE BLOCKS TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

"Fantum" (and his first name was spelled with a G).

Thread Information