Thread: Wayne Baldwin's Amazing Story: Baldy's Eual Eldred Baldwin

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Dean my darkroom is so packed up with stuff I can't open the cabinet door to get to the Motorsports collection. I could do it, but it would take a half an hour and I would have to put all that stuff back again. We should have been done two weeks ago, but after years of a drought, we are catching up all at once with rain, and no one can work. Should start putting things back together by midweek and getting the darkroom cleared out. Seems like it is a good place to put stuff when the wife needs room. Cramps my style though. So how about an easy, quick recipe that's very tasty before I get back to the story?

Post Thanks / Like

I got a recipe to do that happens to coincide with this year of 1969. Baldy invented it sometime in the early summer of 1969. He cooked it a number of times, but he later perfected it, and many a boat racer has had the pleasure to have eaten it at Baldy's table. Haven't grilled it myself in awhile and this would be a good time to do it. I will also "Try" to recreat the origin of this recipe on a barbeque pit where it was first invented out of necessity, and the good stories that go along with it.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    We didn't just hand out samples to whoever pitted next to us or nearby Steve. If Baldy heard about a problem freeing up a part, or something he thought Master Oil could help, he would give them a spray can or metal 8 oz can. Then he would explain how to use it, especially if heat was required. If you or your Dad had mentioned anything about airplanes and "Mouse Milk" Baldy would have sent you home with one or more samples of THE MASTER OIL to give it a try.

Boeing out of Seattle bought a LOT of Master Oil at one time. They bought so much that the manufacturer's representative approached Baldy about buying his company. I will not mention the name, but it is part of the story that will come up much later. They had found lots of good uses for it, but one was that the machines that polished aluminum were able to polish two sides at once. The polishing media didn't clog up, and they were able to skip a couple of steps in the polishing.

Except for extreme situations, THE MASTER OIL might seem to first time users an expensive oil. It became so prized, hoarded and cherished when people found that they could salvage parts they thought were lost due to extreme corrosion and or welded together because of electrolosis of dissimilar metals. What manufacturers found was that on extremely hard or very soft metals, THE MASTER OIL was a genius. That in a nutshell is why THE MASTER OIL never became mainstream, and is like a "CULT" oil. Since it was never nationally distributed by common retailers (specialty outlets serving the oil industry, refining, offshore drilling, etc were another story), the only people that know about it hoard it. I know friends that have kept a can for twenty or thirty years because they didn't know if they could ever get another can when they especially needed it.

I will send you a can Steve. Try it and tell me what you think.
    Wayne,

Is Master Oil still made and distributed? Is it like WD-40 or LPS?

If it is not still made...... Why not?

Thanks, Dean............................
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

My brother Mark still makes it Dean, but not like the original. As far as distribution goes, it is probably 99 percent industrial. He sells only to wholesalers who have tax certificates so he doesn't have to mess with all the tax collection BS. There are a few...less than a dozen dealers that have been buying it since the 1960's that he still supplies that sell to the public.

It is used like WD40 or LPS but it is not anywhere close in chemistry. The former are petroleum based and Master Oil is vegetable based. You can get it on your skin and it will moisturize it. It has an extremely high flash point. It will not flash in an open cup flash test. It takes a closed cup flash test and then it will flash at 450 F. We used it in our alky motors for a top cylinder lubricant and in our lower units to protect the gears in an extreme environment with a very small reservoir.

It has a very high coefficient of friction and thus was a slick oil to use for machining. It replaced sperm oil from the whales for many companies for awhile after harvesting of sperm whales were banned. While Baldy was promoting The Master Oil across the country as an alternative to sperm oil, other manufacturers were busy working up synthetics. They had more money and reach. The synthetics caught up and equaled Master Oil in properties a few years later, but they still are not natural oils.

There is no way though that Master Oil could ever compete with big manufacturers because the supply of the base oil is limited and costly. It all has to do with agriculture and specific production procedures. The Master Oil is a byproduct that was once considered a waste product. A chemist that worked with Baldy on his failed Aloe Vera project told him that this oil had very unique properties, and that's when Baldy launched the project. That was in 1966. I still get it at a local hardware store about ten miles down the road, but I have no idea where else it is.

If you want to try some, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

Are you going to continue these stories to the end of your racing career?

I remember seeing you at Lawrence Lake about 1973 or 1974. You smoked the F Hydro Record, in your Tim Butts Aero Wing. I'm sure you were going close to 100 mph.

I sent you an e-mail with my phone number to call me.... Thanks.

Dean.............................................. ..............
    Last edited by DeanFHobart; 06-02-2015 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Add words.
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

I will give you a call Dean.

I do plan to go to the end and beyond because after we quit racing.....as the Texas song goes.......the party never ends. Baldy cherished the times he spent with the lifelong friends we met racing all the way to the end.

I haven't continued in a straight line for awhile for a couple of reasons. Besides the oilfield up and down , we have been remodeling our bathroom and next it replacing the roof. I would post pictures of the disaster areas that were former living areas that are compacted with boxes, and stuff, but worst of all is my darkroom. I don't want to show anyone how packed off it is. That's not the hard part.

The main reason I have had to hold back besides not being able to access documents and pictures I know I have is the fact that from now on, I don't have the notes I took when I first started racing. Those early years I have locked in my memory because of the thrills of speed, the excitement and I wrote notes down to help me get it right....and to record what I was able to do.

I still wrote things down and had notes at the point in the story that we are, but eighteen months later a hurricane blew Baldy's house away, and much was lost. Including some trophies I won in the next event coming up. I am having to look at photos, read stories, and letters and try to recall events. It was not until 1972 that I started to take notes again. So I apologize Dean, and others that are waiting, for taking so long to keep going on this thread. I am writing down the interesting, factual and funny things for spring and summer of 1969 things I want to post here, but I want it to be in order....in the days and months it happened. A lot went on and that's why it's taking so long.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Wayne,

Dean........................................
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't found an email yet Dean. When did you send it? I went back to May 29. Try again or PM me. I cleaned out some of my messages.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

Sent you a Private Message with my Home Cell.

Dean.............................................. ..............
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

Dean, have you ever told us about your dad? Not only was he your faithful pit crew and fan at every race, as I recall from the Sixties, I remember hearing that he was your A Stock engine ace. I was just a dumb kid, and your dad was pretty quiet, not outgoing like say Downing's dad or Ray Lee, so he and I never had more than a few words between us, which I now regret. There were quite a few people the memory of whom makes me wish I had talked to them when I had the chance, and surely learned something, whether about racing or anything.

--Phil Smith

Thread Information