Thread: Wayne Baldwin's Amazing Story: Baldy's Eual Eldred Baldwin

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smittythewelder View Post
    Dean, have you ever told us about your dad? Not only was he your faithful pit crew and fan at every race, as I recall from the Sixties, I remember hearing that he was your A Stock engine ace. I was just a dumb kid, and your dad was pretty quiet, not outgoing like say Downing's dad or Ray Lee, so he and I never had more than a few words between us, which I now regret. There were quite a few people the memory of whom makes me wish I had talked to them when I had the chance, and surely learned something, whether about racing or anything.

--Phil Smith
    Thanks Phil,

I will do this some day............ But on a separate Thread of course. You're correct that my Dad 'and Mother' were my faithful pit crew and fans.

Dean.............................................. .........
    Dean Hobart

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a list of suppliers that sell The Master Oil in your area Dean. There are probably a dozen, but I'll bet they will not stock it these days. They will have to order it from my brother Mark. I called you a couple of weeks ago to ask where to send the list, but I didn't leave a message. Been busy. Will PM you the list.

Post Thanks / Like

I had to go back away to see where I left off. I have remembered some other stuff in the meantime and have to figure out when it fits in. There were a few things before we left such as Baldy's phone calls. And also there were some advertisements about the race that I have seen. May have to insert later because I have dawdled too long and not found what I was looking for. My darkroom is still filled up from our remodeling, but slowly by slowly I am getting it cleaned out so I can find the negatives, positives, and paperwork I can use to keep the story going.

Likes Jeff Lytle liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We left San Marcos, Texas sometime after noon. I always tried to get the earliest classes I could so I could be finished by noon or 1o. With Gerel, I have no idea. He just did what he wanted to do and laughed about it....although I think under his cover he did try to be responsible.

Baldy swung by the apartment Bud and I had down the main drag of Guadalupe. It entered onto Ranch Road 12 heading to Wimberly and Blanco Texas. Gerel and I had all our stuff together and we got in Baldy's Chrysler Newport station wagon. It was about 2:00 or 3:00 in the afternoon when we headed out. Might have been a little earlier, but we headed west toward US 281 then south to pick up IH 10 going west toward California. It was designated IH10 back then but it was no more an interstate highway than most of our US highways in Texas. It was only two lane, no shoulders and in the Hill Country of Texas is way up, down, left and right, and you had to be on your toes. Since then it has been shaved down and widened, but in those days....it was very interesting driving. Nothing like Colorado, but for Texas...it was a fun drive.

Baldy wanted to get as far as we could the first night. We would have started earlier, but Baldy always insisted on going to our classes.

Baldy had never met Gerel until he loaded his gear into the Newport Station Wagon. Along the way, and with Gerel's kind of offbeat sense of humor, Baldy got to get a sense of our new pit man. We drove into the darkness. We got as far Fort Stockton or maybe Van Horn before we had to shut down for the night.

Post Thanks / Like

Got back from a funeral a few hours ago. But it was what they call a celebration of life. Joyce Turcotte brought friends from Dallas to the Valley and all around to gather to honor her and bless her and all the memories we all had from the days she was with us. Her husband, Louis Edgar, Jr. had passed before her. Those two were a pair to be reckoned with. They were, along with Velma Mynier aka Mamaw, ringleaders in the non racing crowd that Baldy hung out with at Pernitas Point. We had gotten acquainted with their kids through my brother Mark in 1966. You can read about all that close to the beginning of this thread. Four of my pit men from those days came from the Turcotte family. In all, there were six of my pit crew at the funeral, including all the girls. Betsy, Susan, Jeanie and Mary Jean. Bud and Andy Turcotte were the two guys. You can read about some of our exploits on an early page, especially about Bud and Daria at Forest Lake, Minnesota. In this photo, which I posted earlier, you can see Joyce just above my head and behind me at the famous Cadillac Bar in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Web question: On a lot of your posts, but none of mine, at the bottom after the text there are two little black boxes with X's inside them. What are they for? Nothing has ever happened when I click on them.

Post Thanks / Like

That has something to do with a project that went on a few years ago I think Smitty. I could be wrong, but a few years back Ron and some other people were trying to get a certain type of boat and class going that would help stimulate boat racing and bring in new members. They needed some boats built and design work, etc and they had asked for donations to further the effort. Anyone that contributed to the project got recognition through some kind of banner or whatever it's called at the bottom of each post. There were two things. I don't remember that much about either of them, but I'm pretty sure that X marks the spots, and now that they ran their course, the banners came down, but the X's are stuck in the program in the computer. That's my best guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Found my pictures from the 1969 Winternationals I had posted at that same site. The ones I had scanned when I first posted them went to the graveyard of old computers because the guy who said he could save them wasn't able to. In those days I sometimes put pictures and negatives that I did not have filed from 1972 on in envelopes so I knew that I had already posted them. Now the story of Baldy continues.

Post Thanks / Like

We got up early the next morning to get a good start. Baldy knew it would be hot in the middle of the afternoon and he wanted to get as many miles behind us while it was cool. The desert could be a problem. Vehicles today do not have the same trouble as back then. When a motor overheated in those days, the water and coolant overflowed and was gone. When everything cooled down....water and coolant levels were down too. Now you still had the desert to contend with, but not as much in the radiator as before.

Fuel, water, and us were topped up before we headed west with the morning sun behind us. We were all looking at the sights. The west can be very cruel, but also inspiring and beautiful depending upon how you are caught up in it. For us, it was an exciting and adventurous morning, catching glimpses of things we were not used to. The landscape, battered homesteads scattered around, old broken down house trailers with stuff protectively piled up around them, tires, cactus, sand, and nobody out walking around during the heat of the day.

Driving toward Needles, and looking around. Hour after hour is what we did. Not much traffic. The roadbed was hot. It was narrow. No shoulders. And it would be very easy to fall asleep after eating a big lunch. I Don't recall that we did. I do remember though passing through the lava fields that I had recalled from our quick summer vacation some years back when Baldy outraced the dust storm that would have probably killed our Mom. I also recalled from that same trip the road sign pointing toward Truth or Consequences in New Mexico. I had puzzled over that as a kid because I had watched the TV show with Bob Barker as host titled "Truth or Consequences". I didn't question the name any more, just had fond thoughts of seeing it again and remembering it from the days our Mom was with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Desert driving: I vaguely recall from the Fifties a big canvas water-bag, hung outside the car in the windstream, IIRC, that would allow some of the water to slowly soak through the material so that the moisture evaporating off of the surface of the bag would keep the rest of the contents relatively cool.

Truth or Consequences, NM, yeah that was one of the points of interest, another being the ancient indian cliff dwellings (Arizona or NM, I forget now). Do you recall getting to stop to see those? I remember being about nine, and we had hiked up to the entrance of the cliff dwellings, and we looked out across the landscape below while the park guide talked of the indian women having to walk some enormous distance to fill their water-pots and carry them back on their heads.

Of course one of the best things about driving cross-country before the freeway system was the Burma Shave signs.

Thread Information