Thread: Wayne Baldwin's Amazing Story: Baldy's Eual Eldred Baldwin

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I never heard of a slush or a grope Smitty. Some things must be regional. When someone stomped the gas and spun the tires we called it "burning rubber", or "peeling out", but my girlfriend's step brother came down from Detroit to spend the summer of '67 with his Dad, and he called it "patching".

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Master Oil Racing Team;145712]I never heard of a slush or a grope Smitty. Some things must be regional. When someone stomped the gas and spun the tires we called it "burning rubber", or "peeling out", but my girlfriend's step brother came down from Detroit to spend the summer of '67 with his Dad, and he called it "patching".[/QUOTE}

Wayne:

The term "slush box" along with "yankee stick shift" was common during that time as far south as Little Rock. I never heard the term "grope" used in any other way than to indicate a nefarious use of the hands on your girlfriend, probably in your car parked someplace dark. The only thing we ever called 4 doors was "old folks cars". As you said, some expressions are regional, but some made it all the way around the US, especially terms used by hot rodders as this was the time frame drag racing became popular and it exploded with drag strips constructed almost everywhere and the magazines that covered it.

Post Thanks / Like

A grope was roughly synonymous with a dork, nitwit, dweeb, geek, lamebrain, doofus, donkey, putz, clod, lunkhead, clueless boob, dingbat, and probably a few dozen other terms for the socially inept, young Smitty having been a prime example. Not used a lot in Seattle, but I heard it a few times when in Anchorage. I never heard of a yankee stick shift.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smittythewelder View Post
    A grope was roughly synonymous with a dork, nitwit, dweeb, geek, lamebrain, doofus, donkey, putz, clod, lunkhead, clueless boob, dingbat, and probably a few dozen other terms for the socially inept, young Smitty having been a prime example. Not used a lot in Seattle, but I heard it a few times when in Anchorage. I never heard of a yankee stick shift.
    I've heard a lot of those terms, but never heard "grope" except per Bill's definition. "Slush box" was a commonly used term in the Midwest, but the old "Stick shift" was universal for a manual.

My high school driver's education car was a 1957 Chevy with a "Stick shift". I was the second student to drive that car. If we had only known what a '57 Chevy would become.

My ex-brother-in-law had a 57 Chevy (stick shift of course) that he often loaned me to date his wife's sister. There may have been some "groping" going on in that car, but I'll never tell.

Ah, sweet memories!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    I've heard a lot of those terms, but never heard "grope" except per Bill's definition. "Slush box" was a commonly used term in the Midwest, but the old "Stick shift" was universal for a manual.

My high school driver's education car was a 1959 Chevy with a "Stick shift". I was the second student to drive that car. If we had only known what a '59 Chevy would become.

My ex-brother-in-law had a 59 Chevy (stick shift of course) that he often loaned me to date his wife's sister. There may have been some "groping" going on in that car, but I'll never tell.

Ah, sweet memories!
    If you don't want to tell gene, Will you show us the pictures?????

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

You are a dirty old man. Perhaps that's why I like you!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gene, Just trying to do my part!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Baldy had a Chrysler station wagon . Don't recall the model, but he always bought the model that had the most powerful engine. It might have had the 440 engine we had so much trouble with on the New Yorker that Mark blew up and gave us those very memorable moments on the trip to and from Floyd Hopkins' prop shop at Covington, Louisiana. It probably was for that reason of our history of the 440 motor that Baldy had loaded two or three 5 gallon containers of gasoline as well as a couple of containers of tap water from our house in Alice.

It was the weekend before we left that I drove home to help Baldy get everything together. Jack Chance couldn't get away to make the trip, but I think he was there to help us get everything together. Knowing Baldy...he two probably had Clayton and Doris Elmer and their kids Paula and Donny over for a get together before we headed out. After all....this was our first American Power Boat Association race. Some of the guys from Dallas ran alky and mod with Dudley Malone, Kenny Bayers and others like Benny Bob Baron, from Lubbock at that time, as well as N.E. "Fitz" Fitzgibbon and his son James. Also racing from Lubbock, Texas as well were Ron Jones and Donald Brady. We didn't know them at the time, but they ran alky and mod across Texas and Oklahoma. We had some inboard hydro guys in the triangle area of Beaumont, Port Arthur, Orange Texas that raced APBA, and DR. William Triplett in Corpus Christi.

Doc Triplett was the only APBA guy we knew at that time. Baldy had know him already for awhile, as he had made contact earlier when he found out he was an avid boat racer.

Boats had been loaded, tied down and everything ready to go for Baldy to head out. Bud Turcotte could not go for a pit man. Gerel Malmstrom though wanted to go out west with us. He had no experience, but all we needed was someone to help lift boats off and on the trailer, and hold one side of the transom up for starting. We could train him after we got there.

oldalkydriver

Hi Guy's. When you people started talking about things and language that used to be reminded me of some research I did a year or so ago. HOWEVER first off, I mean nothing by what words the research reveal's. Or anything about ethnic backgrounds.

For the last six odd years, almost all of the things I wanted to write or say, have been stymied by a recently coined term referred to as "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"! Although I consider myself rather fluent in the English language, that term was not in my vocabulary. My curiosity got the best of me and I decided to do a little research and after two weeks of chasing fruitless leads, I found what I'd been looking for at the Truman Library and Museum in Independence Missouri. An unnamed source there sent me copies of four telegrams that were between Harry Truman and Douglas MacArthur on the day before the actual signing of the Surrender Agreement. The contents of those four telegrams below are exactly as received, not a word has been added or deleted!

(1) Tokyo,Japan - 0800-September 1,1945
    To: President Harry S Truman
    Tomorrow we meet with those yellow bellied bastards and sign the Surrender Documents, any last minute instructions!

(2) Washington, D C - 1300-September 1, 1945
    To: D A MacArthur
    Congratulations, job well done, but you must tone down your obvious dislike of the Japanese when discussing the terms of the surrender with the press, because some of your remarks are fundamentally not politically correct!

(3) Tokyo, Japan - 1630-September 1, 1945
    To: H S Truman
    Wilco Sir, but both Chester and I are somewhat confused, exactly what does the term politically correct mean?

(4) Washington, DC - 2120-September 1, 1945
    To: D A MacArthur/C H Nimitz
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick main stream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of **** by the clean end!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldalkydriver View Post
    Hi Guy's. When you people started talking about things and language that used to be reminded me of some research I did a year or so ago. HOWEVER first off, I mean nothing by what words the research reveal's. Or anything about ethnic backgrounds.

For the last six odd years, almost all of the things I wanted to write or say, have been stymied by a recently coined term referred to as "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"! Although I consider myself rather fluent in the English language, that term was not in my vocabulary. My curiosity got the best of me and I decided to do a little research and after two weeks of chasing fruitless leads, I found what I'd been looking for at the Truman Library and Museum in Independence

\\

Missouri. An unnamed source there sent me copies of four telegrams that were between Harry Truman and Douglas MacArthur on the day before the actual signing of the Surrender Agreement. The contents of those four telegrams below are exactly as received, not a word has been added or deleted!

(1) Tokyo,Japan - 0800-September 1,1945
    To: President Harry S Truman
    Tomorrow we meet with those yellow bellied bastards and sign the Surrender Documents, any last minute instructions!

(2) Washington, D C - 1300-September 1, 1945
    To: D A MacArthur
    Congratulations, job well done, but you must tone down your obvious dislike of the Japanese when discussing the terms of the surrender with the press, because some of your remarks are fundamentally not politically correct!

(3) Tokyo, Japan - 1630-September 1, 1945
    To: H S Truman
    Wilco Sir, but both Chester and I are somewhat confused, exactly what does the term politically correct mean?

(4) Washington, DC - 2120-September 1, 1945
    To: D A MacArthur/C H Nimitz
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick main stream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of **** by the clean end!
    RIGHT ON!

Bruce

Thread Information