Thread: Wayne Baldwin's Amazing Story: Baldy's Eual Eldred Baldwin

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

From all that I have found, the 1969 Lone Star Boat Racing Association Awards Banquete for the 1968 racing year would be the first time Baldy was elected to anything regarding boat racing. Baldy studied the rule book front and back from the first time we every pulled a crank rope. He met and became friends everywhere we raced. I stayed in the background, but Baldy walked the pits and shook hands, and got to know a lot of racers and their families. He was not politicking. Baldy just like to get to know everyone and talk.

I think the Lone Star Banquete in Baytown was the first we attended because I had won a couple of awards. I don't recall any previous banquetes or annual meetings, so I am pretty sure this was our first, especially since it was the first time we stayed at the Tower Hotel.

Baldy was not pursuing any elective office. We were just there. Most of the people in attendance were long time boat racers and Baytown Boat Club members, but Louis Williams and a contingent from Beaumont were there as well as the San Antonio bunch and some from the Dallas area and South Louisiana. A few of us came up from Corpus Christi area including Dan Waggoner and his family, Steve Jones and his family, but I don't recall the Wetherbee's making the trip.

The referee that had run the races when I started, Homer Alford, had for some tragic reason taken his own life. His wife Joy (who shot the turkey in the head on a hunting trip Baldy arranged a little over a year earlier) was reelected scorer, and Jim Dailey, who was part of Bruce Nicholson's team was elected referee to take Homer's place. Jim continued to serve along with Buddy Aylor later as referee for Lone Star until it went under in the mid 80's.

All these officials that were elected were nominated from the floor. Presiding officials of Lone Star would ask the members in the audience who they wanted for each office. For the most, it was unanimous with only one uncontested name presented for the office. When it came to Referee, I think there were names bandied about because that was one office that Homer had held for awhile and it was one no one expected to have to fill. Joe might remember more about this, but I think after all the talk was done, and maybe a few were asked and declined, the person everyone kept coming back to was the steady, reliable, and always at every race....Jim Dailey. Then when it got to the racing commission, Baldy was nominated to be one of the commissioners. The Corpus Christi Boat Club had lost a number of members since the late fifties and early sixties, and I think there was no representation in any official capacity. So while Baldy was not seeking any office, his interest in the sport and his vocal opinions, plus the fact that he had already put on three successful races in South Texas, and had one on board for June his name was put up for a member of the racing commission. As noted in the NOA notice, Baldy was elected, and he went on to other elective offices as our racing progressed.

Post Thanks / Like

Baldy might have become more enthused than ever about being a Konig dealer because he was seeing some successful outboard sales at the Emmord's dealership, or maybe it may have been part of a tax writeoff. I happen to think that after going through some slow times in 1968, the upcoming year was looking good, and Baldy planned to capitalize.

Bill Seebold had called up Marshall Grant earlier in 1968 and told Marshall that he would sell all of his new Konig motors along with his boats to Marshall, and Billy would drive for Marshall. Marshall took the deal, bought all of the Seebold equipment, sold his Merc/Quincy stuff, and it was the start of a very successful racing venture. The Johnny Cash band was on top and had fans all across the music spectrum..........young and old alike.

Baldy had been friends with the Seebold's for a couple of years, and was getting to know Marshall. After Marshall moved to Konig, it might have spurred Baldy to put more effort into the Konig dealership that Scott Smith had given him. Whether it was tax considerations or a belief that Konig engines and parts sales could amount to anything is hard to say at this point. But all that aside, with the things going on, Baldy worked on a price list for our Konig dealership and spent some time any money to print and advertise the price list. The price list was printed in February and Baldy called up Claude Fox to be sure that his ad was in the March 1969 issue of "The Roostertail".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I will copy all the pages which are 19 numbered and 4 unnumbered attachments. The first scan is one that appears pristine, but has doodles on the back by Baldy. The second one is my copy, and as you can see, boat racers make good use of duct (duck) tape wherever it is needed, not just to patch boats boats, hold plastic shields in place, or long hair in the case of Darrel Beaulier. When I get back from the office I will start scanning and posting the contents.

The catalogues were printed by John Shriver at Accurate Printing in Alice, on Texas Boulevard a quarter block from Main Street. John did all the printing for Alice Specialty, Aldac, Master Oil, and race programs and posters.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Always glad to see this story updated.1 question,did Baldy ever send a letter to asco,american solenoid company,or they to him about the logos.both are very similar.Most likely,back in those days,people did not worry about such and customers of each company had enough knowledge to know the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Not that I know of Crewman. I do not know anything about American Solenoid. I went to a number of websites, but I could not find a logo, but I did see information on ASCO valves. Do you have a picture of the logo?

The ASCO logo was designed by Baldy as far as I have ever known and somewhere I have seen a lot of doodlings by Baldy of the logo. It first appeared that I can recall sometime in the early sixties.

In 1975 we had a Master Oil and ASCO booth at the Offshore Technology Conference held at the Astrohall in Houston. Thousands of oil and gas people came from all over the world. A little way down from our booth and a couple of rows over was Aberdeen Service Company soliciting customers for their newly constructed offshore service facility in Aberdeen Scotland. They offered docking for companies servicing the North Sea oilfields. They like our logo and wanted to copy it. We gave them permission. We had a booth there until 1982 and we saw them every year and became somewhat friends.

In the mid 80's American Seed Company told us to quit using ASCO. Baldy told them where they could plant their seeds, and how long we had been using the term ASCO, and maybe he asked if they wanted a new partner. No lawyers ever got involved and that was that.

Post Thanks / Like

First pages off the press.

Post Thanks / Like

more pages

Post Thanks / Like

The next batch

ADD: I attempted to add page 16 in the gap after 15 and 16 is placed correctly, but 15 moved up. Think I'll just leave it alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Final pages of the catalogue.

Post Thanks / Like

I originally thought about posting this last page horizontal, but then decided it was supposed to be what the catalogue pages were. But then, there would be nothing wrong with posting it horizontal now just in case someone wants to read the spec's without getting a crick in the neck.

Thread Information