Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
The North South Championships were held on June 17, 18 and 19, 1967.

The water was in good shape and the races went well. Claude Fox had excellent control over the boat traffic. No outside interference or wakes from pleasure boaters to cause trouble. Claude had unparalelled support from local officials because Claude himself was a long time member of the Coast Guard boating squadron, and over a span of decades taught many boater safety courses.

I can't remember how I fared in the classes. I do remember racing against someone for several laps, and in particular getting around him down the back straight and in the turn, but I don't know who it was. I ended up with a 4th in A hydro. Just one heat though, because I came away with only $5.00.

I always cherished this photo because it is the only time I made the cover of any publication. (Programs don't count---especially when you are in charge!) And what really makes it special is to be up there with these guys. Left to right Wayne Baldwin--Marchetti/Konig, Jerry Waldman--Marchetti/Quincy Looper, Bob Hering--Marchetti/Quincy Looper, Jerry Parrot--Marchetti/Quincy Looper. The judges stand was very substantial and sturdy. It was about twelve to fifteen feet above the water more or less. Jerry Waldman and I are still looking at the clock, Bob Hering seems like he is starting to look down the course and is starting to make his move. Jerry Parrot has timed it better than us and is solid on the throttle.

Here are the final results. I just noticed that Randy Johnson is from Greensboro, North Carolina. I was sure the person we bought the Dubisnki's, Konigs and trailer from was from Greenville. I'm not totally sure, because I thought the man had quit racing, but Randy continued on. I wish I could remember what Randy looked like. Maybe Marc can post a picture. Anyway, if it was Randy, maybe he won with the 4 carb Konig in this race that we bought about a month or so later. I got to know and become friends with just about all these guys. The only ones I didn't know were Evan Noyes, Lee Dingman, and Ed Peterson.

ADD: I forgot to mention of Baldy's favorite stories about my very first conversation with Bob Hering. He told it to just about every boat racer who came to visit, when they got around to swapping stories. If you look at the picture you can see that my Marchetti was much larger than the others. I'm not sure what Waldman's and Herings were, but I'm guessing probably 10-6. Jerry Parrot's looks even shorter. I think ours was around 11-2 or 11-4. We got it from Freddie Goehl and Arlen Crouch after the 1966 season when we ran a Sid Craft. It was used and Freddie made a deal with Baldy, so he bought it. After the race I was walking around the pits and my Dad and I came upon Bob. Bob asked "Why do you run that A Konig on such a big hydro?" "Because it's the only one I have I replied." Bob just said "Oh!". That always set Baldy off laughing when he thought about it.
Wayne,

Gerry' boat is a Sid. Notice these differences from Bobby & yours. The cowl is ronder & leads back to the coamiming further. I doesn't have the Marchetti decal on the cowl, jut the AC spark plug decal. The rar chines are steeper, 45 degrees on the Sid, but much flatter on the Marchetti & the way the coaming meets the transom & the coaming top trim piece are typical Sid & different from Bobby's & yours. Most of been in transition from Sid to Marchetti seeing Bobby in a Marchetti & Gerry in the Sid.