This will be a very enjoyable thread, for both those that knew him, and especially those that didn't. I am sure there will be some "amazin' stories", some of which I know when told, I will be "Baldied" in. He was one of the best friends I have ever had, and also one of the most "gotcha" people I have ever known. If you ever did anything you didn't want anyone else to know about because of stupid stuff on your part, DON'T do it around him. I am reminded of at least a half dozen that I would dearly like to forget every time I think of him.

Even though we had some strong disagreements about various things in boat racing during the almost 20 years I talked to him on a regular basis, both while he was involved in racing and after he left it, he was never mean spirited about those disagreements. You could have a very heated discussion with him about something you felt strongly about, and then go right back to being the best of buddies after the discussion was over. It certainly did not hurt that he made some of the very best Gumbo I have ever tasted, steaks that would feed 4 people, all for you by yourself, and the "piece de resistance", Oysters ala Baldy. Add in a wonderful place to test in the middle of the winter, great company and wonderful hospitality, (and if you loved to bird hunt that was just more icing on the cake) and any visit to his place was looked forward to and savored for long after.

My biggest disappointment was not having the opportunity to see him in the last couple of years he was alive, and both Eileen and I felt we had lost a family member when Wayne called to tell us of his passing.

I am really looking forward to this thread.