While I had been to San Antonio and Houston numerous times, it was only the second time in Dallas. Baldy had taken us up there two years earlier while he competed in the Texas State Skeet Championships. I don't remember how he did, but I know it wasn't in the top tier. Us kids went to Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington. That was the original Six Flags and what an adventure that was.

The race was held Saturday July 3rd on Garza Little Elm north of Dallas. It was a very big lake and there were more big yachts and sailboats tied up and on the water than there were at the marina in Corpus Christi. It was a one mile five lap course. Jack and Clayton didn't make the trip, but we got to know some more North Texas racers. Charlie Huff was down from Oklahoma and we got together for a visit. Lee Little was a local racer, and one of the top A/B drivers. He was very friendly as well as another local Jim Wilkins who we became friends with also. Other than Phil Crown, it seems most of the Dallas area racers just ran A and B. Another one of those that we got to know and like was Ed Harrison. It seems more and more we were to find these boat racing people very likeable and friendly, and if you needed anything all you had to do was ask.

There were a couple of guys I got to noticing that were just about my age, but I didn't get to know them yet. One was a year older from San Antonio ...Joe Bowdler. The other was a skinny kid a couple of years younger than me...Denny Henderson. Joe was about 6 foot 4 or so. He had wavy brown hair and a big smile. Joe drove CDF hydro and runabout, and I was in awe of him. I was too shy to introduce myself.

Bruce and Lucien Mariouneaux along with Clyde Lafitte showed up and we talked with them awhile. It was good to see some familiar faces. Freddie Goehl and Arlen Crouch came as well, and Baldy must have been talking with Freddie about another boat. I am not sure where Baldy found out about Mustang boats, but it was sometime in 1966 that my brother Mark ended up with a very nice 17 foot bronze metalflake Mustang with a 110 Merc on the transom. I guess Pete DeLackner, builder of Mustangs, may have been at the race, but I think he was still in California at the time.

Freddie won D hydro and C runabout while Bruce Marioneaux won C hydro. Lee Little took B hydro, Roland Pruett D runabout, Alex Wetherbee B runabout and Ozzie Robinson A runabout. I finished second in A runabout. There were a bunch of gun jumpers. I didn't see any results for A hydro. It got very rough on the lake and two drivers were injured, so it may be that A hydro was cancelled. I had mistakenly said earlier that Dave Fuqua quit racing after he sold his B deflector to us, but I was wrong. He was knocked unconcious during A hydro and was hauled off to the hospital. He was released O.K. The other driver hauled off was Denny Henderson. He was thrown from his boat and his own propeller got him on the foot. I was kind of horrified to hear that, but he recovered.