Thread: Wayne Baldwin's Amazing Story: Baldy's Eual Eldred Baldwin

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the final installment of our "Road Trip" that we had been so excited to embark upon.

We lazed around a bit before getting up to make the final leg of our trip back home to Alice. Bud had spent the night with us in Alice before we left, so his car was there.

I started off driving and went very, very light on the foot feed. We got through Baytown, and took the tunnel under the ship channel on highway 146. It was a risky move because the angle of attack coming out of the tunnel was twenty five or more degrees. We would be blasting noise all the way out through the end of the tunnel and figured we might be stopped on the other side. We gambled that we might be able to talk ourselves out of trouble, and figured it would be better than trying to go through Houston. Apparently, our decision was the right one, because we got away with it.

Going over the lift bridge at Kemah was a breeze and we angled toward the west southwest into Alvin and down through Angleton where we turned more south and headed toward West Columbia. We were more or less going back against the path of Santa Anna's march into Texas where he met his Waterloo in 1836.

These were all the nice old towns we had to pass through that are now the foundation of lots of nostalgic festive weekends. I can remember driving through them in those days, and always looking at the dates on the top of many of the flat topped buildings. The vast majority ranged from 1903 through 1920 in most of the towns, but there were some 1899's up to 1929.

We lucked out and got through Sweeny which was a Phillips 66 town. If you got there at shift change, forget about making time. The gate emptied in both ways to Texas Highway 35. Down through more towns, we got through Bay City without any trouble. We had a lot of small towns to pass through before we got home, but only three more moderately sized ones.

About twenty five miles south of Bay City, Texas Highway 35 made a bend at went to the coastal city of Palacious. That was the site of many July 4th "Firecracker 200's" where the inboards and outboards put on some spectacular races in front of huge spectator crowds lining the pits and seawall. We took the bypass through Blessing as Baldy always did. A couple of miles past where Texas Highway 35 bent east toward the coast, we slowed down as we passed through the small community of Blessing.

I guess we must have been having some fun talk when I suddenly saw the intersection where we had to turn east to go to Port Lavaca. It angled off in our favor at about fifteen degrees, but I had too much speed to be able to make it. I was able to come to a stop about fifty fee past the intersection however. Traffic in rural areas like this is light when farmers and ranchers aren't in a busy time, and although it was only a two way road, I swung wide to the right and hoped to be able to curve around to shorten the turning radius to keep the left wheel on the asphalt. Bad decision. I would have been much better off, just backing all the way up, especially with Mark and Bud to direct traffic on a lonesome road..

The big problem was that this was rice territory and just like around Breaux Bridge, the road was crowned, no shoulders and steep grass down to the bar ditches on either side. The only difference was the lack of water and gators, and the roadbed was a little wider. I was very good at backing a trailer, but in those days there was a saying that you should not back up a long way because you can damage the rear end. I figure that falls into the category of an "old wives tale", but having a problem with doing just such a thing with my Dodge Polara in 1966, and being anxious just to get home, I made a stupid decision.

I had moved over in the grass as far right as I felt safe. Then turned the steering wheel full lock to the left in order to come around. That's when I learned later that maximum pressure is put on the steering wheel hose. It burst and steering wheel fluid squirted all over the left side of the 440 TNT Chrysler motor, and into the air intake. It looked like our engine caught on fire. Nasty smelling smoke began billowing out from under the hood, and mostly on the left where exhaust came directly out of the manifold. The motor started shaking and coughing, then finally died.

I got it cranked up again, but it wouldn't hit on all cylinders. I gassed it up and tried to turn it again with full lock and it immediately died. There was still some power steering fluid left in the hose, and the power drag was enough to kill the motor. We all got out and tried to push the New Yorker at least into the southbound lane. As it was, we were blocking both lanes. I got back in and fired up the motor, because we could not push or steer it with the motor off. We got it pushed back into the lane...and as far off the road as we could get it. I punched in the hazard signal, and that was the only part of this car that remained loyal...and worked.

There was no point in walking the few miles back to Blessing, which had no gas stations, or anything, so we started off in the direction of Port Lavaca about thirty miles to the southeast. Somehow, we were still in good spirits. We walked thinking that someone would pick us up, have sympathy and take us all the way to Port Lavaca. Hitchhiking was a common practice then, and not dangerous like it is now.

We walked along talking, laughing about all the things that had gone wrong and we weren't going to let it get us down. We had walked several miles and had not seen any traffic at all from either direction. I think it must have been a Sunday and why we got away with blaring through the Baytown boat tunnel. But we continued walking.

That area was a very large rice producing country then, and had rice paddies on both side of the road. It was during our walk that we came across a frog that didn't make it across the road. It was huge. Even huger being squashed. None of us had ever seen a frog that big. The legs must have been close to a foot long. It was hard to tell what size the front part would have been because that was where it was pancaked. Wrong place....right time.

As we walked along...probably about five miles by now....we saw a slow moving rainshower moving up behind us from the northwest. When it caught up with us, we felt the cold rain drops and took off running. We ran about a quarter mile then started walking again. In a little bit, we had to do the same thing. After about the third time the rain caught up with us, a farmer heading the same way we were in his pickup pulled over to ask us what we were doing. We told him. He told us to pile into the back of his pickup and he drove us into Port Lavaca. I had adked him if he could drop us off at Gordon's Seafood Restaurant just on the right across the bridge over Matagorda Bay. He did.

They had a pay phone just inside the door as you walk up the steps to enter. It sat on stilts because of storm surge. All around where the pay phone was were a very good collection of sea shells, including the kind of giant clam that was always clamping down on Lloyd Bridge's leg during a "Sea Hunt" espisode when he was running out of air.

I got a quarter and called Baldy collect. When he got on the line, I told him what happened. I told him that we have been having lots of trouble with the car, and that we couldn't drive it home. He said "Bull5h!t!" I told him how it was running...the power steering hose had a hole in it, and it would not go anymore. He said that he could drive it in, and we told him where we would be. We had a very good and relaxing seafood dinner while we waited.

It was a couple of hours before Baldy showed up, but he took me at my word and was leading an Alice Specialty winch truck with a float. We rode in Baldy's new Chrysler to the Blessing cut off where the New Yorker was still sitting on the side of the road with boat racing trailer attached.

I gave Baldy the keys and he was able to crank it right up. He backed it up like I should have done in the first place, then made a left hand turn into the road heading back toward Port Lavaca. Baldy drove the New Yorker less than half a mile, pulled over to the side, got out and told the winch truck driver who had turned around and started to follow us..."Load the Son of B1tch Up!" Baldy came back to where I was driving his Chrysler, got in and said "Let's go." The winch truck driver knew the way home, so I blew around him as he got back on the road, and we proceeded to tell Baldy all that had happened since we had left a few days before.

Post Thanks / Like

The Chrysler went back into the shop. Not just for the exhaust problem, but also the electrical failure. Joe Rome filled me in on the exhaust manifold problem. He said it was common with those 440 TNT Chryslers. They had a liner inside the exhaust system to help give longer life to the exhaust pipes. Back then it was very common for exhaust pipe leaks to develop. The liner was supposed to make the pipes last longer. Unfortunately the 440 Chrysler motor pumped a lot of heat with a big volume. After time it caused the liner to delaminate from the exhaust pipe and collapse either totally or partially. That was what caused our lack of power to start out with, and eventually lead to burning through the exhaust pipe at the exhaust manifold in Louisiana.

We burned through two more exhausts in the next couple of years in Baldy's Chryslers, but they didn't give us the power loss trouble, or electrical trouble this one did. And they were both on the right bank cylinders.

Post Thanks / Like

FRITO PIE

I'm not sure how well know Frito Pie is across the U.S., but it's been around as long as I can remember. When I was in 7th grade and could leave campus for lunch with some friends, a lot of time we got Frito pies. The original pies were made by slicing open a long ends of the small Frito package and placing the chili, cheese, and onions (optional) on top of the Fritos and eating the Frito Pie out of the bag with a spoon. I think it was around 15 cents. Today's Chili Cheese Frito's are to try to capture the flavor of the original Frito Pie, but that's not possible.

Frito Pie is easy to make and is very delicious. You can do it in the bag, but it is easier just to make it in a bowl, or a casserole dish if you are making it for a group.

Put a small bag of Fritos in a bowl. Be sure to use the original. The large ones are O.K., but you don't get the correct percentage of chili, cheese, etc.

Heat up some good quality canned chili. Wolf Brand made in Fort Worth is a great choice.

Grate some cheddar cheese or use already grated cheddar.

Cut up onion if you like it. I just used a leek from the garden because I didn't have onion.

Take the warmed chili and scoop a generous amounts over the fritos, then cover with grated cheese and sprinkle with onions if you like them. I think it makes the Frito Pie better, but it's still a good dish without them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

This recipe is popular in the midwest especially at fairs etc.

Here we call it a, "Walking Taco"!

Not to be confused with a DePue taco. I had several of those last week!

Post Thanks / Like

Been away too long. Tonight Debbie made Carne Guisado. It's a Mexican beef with gravy dish served with spanish rice and beans. I will have to present this recipe some day. It has Mexican spices that make it totally different.

I too had a DePue taco Gene, and surprisingly and excellent Gyro. I haven't found a couple of things I was looking for, but a surprise arrived in the mail a couple of weeks after I got back from DePue. Pit man Bob Burnham sent me a poster advertising the second half of the NOA World Championships held at Barbon in 1968, and a copy of a special edition of Tim Chance's publication explaning the world of outboard racing. It was the one everyone has seen, plus 1967 champions and some other extra stuff. I had forgotten about it, but Bob was very timely in sending it, because they will both be a part of upcoming stories in the Baldy thread.

Post Thanks / Like

CB Racing Team was in full mode racing. We had a lot of Floyd Hopkins' props to test, and A,B,C,D, and F hydros as well as A,B,and C runabouts to test. This was all the more important since it wasn't all our old motors. We were trying to get the best out of our new 4 cylinder rotary valve motors. Things were a little more complicated with the fact that we now had to contend with external rotary valve timing as well. The sliding cans were also something else to contend with, but as we had a sliding can FB and FC, we just fastened them up about an inch back from the elbow, and didn't worry about that factor.

The girls of CB race team didn't work with us during the day while we tested. Generally the wind picked up by 10:00 so we would go waterskiing, or just cruising. It was the girls turn during weekends to take over and get us on the dance floor. We weren't really into dancing, but they always found some good bands and set things up so we really didn't have a chance to object. Besides, in my case Ginger was coming down from Houston on a regular basis, and I looked forward to seeing her. She was very cute, very shy, and liked my company. Being shy around girls myself...she suited me perfectly.

Velma Mynier, the grandmother of the Turcottes, was spending a lot of time at the lake at her house where half of the CB Racing Team spent the summer. My senior pit crew was my brother Mark, then Bob Burnham my high school buddy. Bud Turcotte was next in line, and he was the one than lead the rest of the Riviera and Sarita Texas families to join our team. Velma Mynier became the chapperone of all the girls, and was a very willing accomplice to our racing ventures. She and Baldy had a great time together. Velma liked Kentucky whisky, and Baldy liked his beer. Velma, Baldy and Jack Chance spent many long evenings together as us kids did what we wanted to do. There was never any romance as Baldy was much younger, but Velma had a real insight into life, and us younger kids were both inspired and respectful of her wisdom. She was one very unique person.

Post Thanks / Like

Baldy liked to doodle when he talked on the telephone. I have several NOA Roostertails of which I have posted that he doodled while talking boat racing to someone. He would oftentimes write phone numbers down over and over, and sometimes he would draw pictures, then doodle them over and over or around them to ink them in heavier. I have seen, maybe still have, and maybe on a Roostertail a half dozen or more Master Oil logos Baldy doodled while talking on the phone. If I can find the page I will post it.

Baldy must have been talking to someone about MX 237- THE MASTER OIL then because he was doodling it. If he was talking to someone about a non business subject he would doodle pictures of a swan, or something like that. He didn't doodle all the time....but sometimes. He could draw a very exacting side view of a swan perfectly in just seconds. Other than swans he wasn't so good. But it was during one of the phone sessions, and maybe a tablet of his I have seen that showed his early sketches of the new Master Oil label.

Aerosol cans back then were more popular than the metal squeeze cans to dispense penetrating oil. There were still a lot of the squeeze cans then, and still are today, but WD-40 changed the whole market concept of penetrating, lubricating and rust prevention market. When we first started racing boats, and even before, WD-40 was the oil we used. After Baldy quit the aloe vera venture and tried to market and build up the MX-237 THE MASTER OIL business, WD-40 became the primary enemy.

As I mentioned earlier, the original aerosol can was small with a black on silver logo. Baldy was doodling for several months on a new logo, but it seemed he was kind of stuck in a mode and always doodled the same design. It was an M on top of an X with 237 in the middle. It is very commonplace even to this day for oilfield companies to name a new company following traditions of longtime or old standard companies that had been successful. So Baldy figured that since WD-40 was the best company out there selling lubricating and penetrating oils, that he needed to follow suit with the name of his oil.

I have to ask my brother Mark what he remembers about where MX came from, and also 237. In researching the history of WD-40, W D stands for the research teams designation for water displacement and the 40th test was their best and ultimate achievement.

I am sure that the new partnership with Joe Hendricks contributed to the color scheme of MX-237 THE MASTER OIL. Before Joe Hendricks was involved, the Alice Specialty trucks were Red tractors, with white trailers. After Joe came on board, all the tractors and trailers became an ivory white with the distinctive ASCO logo and black frames, fenders and bumpers. It was a very distinctive and different look in the oilfield in that day, and the objective was to outshine the competitors. Baldy's competitors copied everything he did in the vacuum truck business included red, black and white paint schemes. Making the primary paint scheme of truck and trailer an off white meant that they had to be washed down constantly to keep them clean. The tractors and trailers were always maintained with a good epoxy paint, and the competitors that tried to keep up always failed. They could not keep their trucks looking good, and Alice Specialty always maintained the reputation of superior service. I do not know to this day whether the change in paint schemes was due to Joe Hendricks' input, Baldy's idea, Cheyney Custer's idea, or a brainstorming session between the three. Anyway....it turned out to be an enormously successful change in the look of Alice Specialty Company....and it also led to a change in the colors of MX-237 THE MASTER OIL.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a front and back look at the logo on a gallon can of MX-237. This comes to me in a roundabout way.

In those days, and for the most part of Lone Star Boat Racing, my Dad and Louis Williams sparred. Since the time that Louis asked Baldy "Does that chrome make it run any faster?" they became antagonists. Baldy always jabbed Louis at every annual meeting about his A hydro record that was obviously a misprint at 10 mph above previous records and to this day stands as the A hydro competition record in Lone Star Boat Racing Association records.

As Joe Rome will attest, Louis was tight with money. So I don't think he bought this gallon of Master Oil. Baldy was too much of a promoter of his own product. He gave away gallons of the stuff, but also said how little of it took to make it work. People used it sparingly. Since it did do what Baldy said, the people he gave samples to used it in tough situations and hoarded the rest. As a consequence I have heard Bobby Wilson, Denny Henderson and others tell me in the last few years that they still have some Master Oil left in a can that Baldy gave them over forty years ago. Louis Williams was the same.

When Joe went back to see Louis' wife Mary after the funeral a month or so later to help Ricky LeBlanc load up Louis' trailer, boat and motors, Mary asked Joe what he wanted. Joe only took the modified Marshall "Grant Tank", and the partially full gallon of Master Oil. It is actually more than 3/4ths full. It will not rust from the inside.

This is what the second logo of MX-237 THE MASTER OIL looks like. The front side which was exposed to light for many years has faded out. The back side shows more of the original color.

WELL; i don't do facebook. I don't understand the gimmicks I have to do now to post pictures. That's why I have not posted much here in awhile. I'm sorry Ron and Sam. I will not give up. I want BRF to be the best it can be. but I have to figure it out for myself how it can be less of a hassle. It used to be easy to post pictures. Now...I don't know. I got roadblocks I don't need. Maybe I can figure it out later.

Well: it took twenty minutes and I just got this ONE posted, and I'm still not sure how I did it because I downloaded, uploaded, crisscrossed, Kingscrossed, and somehow ended up at a screen that had squares with question marks. How the He!! do I know? I saw under one of the question mark boxes the very legend of the first picture I tried to post the first time. I'm not going to mess this up by trying to do the backside as I originally intended, but instead will very, very softly....push the "Save Changes" tab and hope upon hope that everything I have worked on is posted.

Being an optomist I will not write what I think if it doesn't go through, because if I did, there would be some profane language and maybe this computer's life would be much shorter. Is this how you deal with facebook? Is that what all the empty balloons are about now on BRF? I've had lots of requests to join Facebook, but have not done so. If it's like this....I won't. I hope I can figure this stuff out because I have had a lot of enjoyment telling about the times my father Baldy gave us in his support of boat racing, and remembering how he dearly loved all his boat racing friends. That was our life for many years.

ADD: I was frustrated and mad last night for my inability to figure out an easy way to post, so I am sorry for my rant. I will try to do the backside once again. If it works this time you will see more color on the side facing away from the light for probably three decades. Maybe more. Louis used MX-237 very sparingly, because he probably figured Baldy wouldn't give him anymore, and he certainly wouldn't pay for any.

ADD: Hooray, it worked. I have part of this figured out, but I'm confused as to why I have more than a dozen preloaded photos ready to be posted that I had already posted before the format change, and then some that I posted AFTER the format change that I didn't have to go through what I just did. All I would have to do is check them off and they would appear here, but I didn't download them when I went to edit in the first place. It has a box to clear everything out, but I am afraid to. I might try that on a future post to see what happens, but I have invested too much time on this one to give it a try. I guess I'm a stupid old fogey, but have had to learn the computer thanks to BRF.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    BALDY'S

I can clearly remember the moment I heard President Kennedy was assassinated. I just got dropped off at school after lunch and was about ten feet from the flagpole when two or three of my friends ran up and told me. Small groups of kids were standing all around talking about it. That's about all I remember. Other than old news footage I have seen since then, I don't remember anything else about those days. My Mom was real sick and died a week after the assassination. One week before I turned fifteen. She almost died in childbirth when left unattended and her lungs collapsed following an epidural. My Dad could be heard over the whole second floor cursing the doctor and telling him to get the hell over there. She recovered by my baby sister was stillborn. After that my Mom got asthma which led to emphysema. She and my Dad were Camel smokers and they both quit cold turkey, but she could never overcome all the problems from the collapsed lungs. Her name was Frances but everyone called her "Dodo" like the goofy bird. She was always saying funny things and sometimes acting a little bit crazy. The Mexican cowboys on the ranch where she grew up called her "Poco Bueno", which basically means "pretty good".

My Dad knew early on she was dying, but never let on to us kids. He set up a trust fund for us, and for it to become final she had to live past a certain date. She did, but barely. She held on and died within a week or two beyond the date certain. I think it was the death of John Kennedy that killed her spirit and she gave up. My Dad voted for Nixon, and although my Mom was a Republican, she liked Kennedy and I always had the feeling that she voted for him. It was during the week between Kennedy's death and hers that everything is fuzzy. We didn't go to church, but I had begun praying for her almost a year earlier. She couldn't sleep laying down any more so set slept on a couch in the living room having to sit halfway up. Some nights at our lake house I would stay up with her late watching the stars. She had died some time during the early morning hours November 29, 1963.

Several months later the IRS began trying to break the trust. They worked very hard, but my Dad used a very good attourney when he set it up. I can remember after months of negotiations several IRS guys with big satchels came to meet my Dad and his attourney at our lake house. They left without getting what they wanted. Then they began auditing him every year. Sometimes they would find little things in their favor, but his CPA could usually find stuff in his favor, but they kept it up year after year. Finally, in the early 70's he filed a harrassment suit against the IRS claiming that the audits were in retaliation for not breaking the trust (which they stilled poked around in from time to time). After that, I can't remember him ever being audited again.

There were a lot of flowers at the funeral, and there were so many of one kind that Baldy planted them in the road front flower bed. Whoever heard of planting potted flowers outside in December? But that's what Baldy did, and this is one of the first pictures I took with my new Kodak Instamatic camera. Those flowers flourished in the spring and filled the whole flowerbed. That's really all I can ever remember that was planted there.

I have to break off here so I don't get timed out. This doesn't pertain to boat racing at this point, but it is relevant to how we ended up getting into racing so I am giving some background. Hope that's O.K.
    Baldy was one of the most popular and pleasant guys in the pits, in my memory.
    He, Wayne, and Joe Rome came to some OPC races, otherwise I'd never have
    had the pleasure. I was a UK student home studying when Kennedy was assassinated.
    Depressing time for me, as for Wayne's mother. I recall that quite a few
    Republican women in my E. Ky. hometown were Kennedy fans. I'd hauled voters in my '54 Chevy for
    Tricky Dick although too young to vote in 1960, but Tricky Dick was about the last Republican
    we voted for for President. I didn't get the bad taste for Dallas out of my mouth til we
    started racing n. of Dallas in 1977, and some of that bad taste still remains. Well, we'll
    be meeting near there for the annual APBA meeting in a few weeks. I met a lot of very nice people from
    Dallas when racing OPC in those days!

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, I did like reading that about Baldy. The words seem to fit well with the
    character we knew in the pits. Jovial, serious, all at the same time.

Thread Information