Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How good were racing the OMC lower units

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How good were the older stock OMC lower units when raced

from the 60's i.e. the non thru hubs.
    40, 50, 75's 100Hp etc
    Did they survive surfacing?

Any style better then others, split through propshaft versus split higher versions?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Know This...

I only know about the 45 SS, SST 100, CC, CCC, and V-8 gearcases.

These units were well designed. I have personal knowledge that they'll stand up to the engine horespower they are suggested for and some more.

I also know, that in the HEAT of he "Outboard Wars", Mercury hired at least one engineer away from OMC to assist Mercury in inproving their gearcases. This was circa 1979.

Sea Marine has the rights to make OMC gearcases at this time. AND I wish they'd build a few of each!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Far as I know, the only racing lower units OMC made were for the X115/GT115 race motors prior to the Stinger/SS motors.

They were smaller diamter than Mercury which pissed Carl off royally, they also were shiftable cases, F/N/R. The exhaust opening could be plugged and placed on the bottom end of the cavatation plate.

We had several of the race engines running on the river anfd did not have too many issues, I did however hear they were only good for about 15 hours of use before they scattered. I never saw a scattered one apart.

Others may know different.
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I understand the question ... racing using the gearshift pleasure units or race only units?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lower units

I think he's asking about the gear shift units , like those on the 70.7 cube 60 horse v-4 and 90 cube v-4 (75 horse) from 1960-68, before the prop -exhaust units came out . You know, the pointed nose units with the 20/23 gear ratio .

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yes
    the old pointy consumer models.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Would this type of gearcase have been used in the 36 class?
    Mark N

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default O M C units

[QUOTE=MN1;84632]Would this type of gearcase have been used in the 36 class?
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................
    nope ! the only omc's allowed in "36" were the 25 &30 horse "Big Twins". The only big twin that had a "pointy" lower unit was the 40 horse electramatic, not allowed in 36 class , because it was about 43 or 44 cubic inches .

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    Far as I know, the only racing lower units OMC made were for the X115/GT115 race motors prior to the Stinger/SS motors.

They were smaller diamter than Mercury which pissed Carl off royally, they also were shiftable cases, F/N/R. The exhaust opening could be plugged and placed on the bottom end of the cavatation plate.

We had several of the race engines running on the river anfd did not have too many issues, I did however hear they were only good for about 15 hours of use before they scattered. I never saw a scattered one apart.

Others may know different.
    In `67 or `68 we received from Bruges one of the first 55hp loopers with a racing lu which externally looked the same as the GT115 ones. A hot works SE engine, received in `69, was unable to grenade a like unit within the 40 hours, during which we used it for testing on the Rhine river, as well as the Liege and Berlin 6 hour races, which Helmut Tinscher and I won in that year (Jimbo won ON).
    We never had water in the oil or noticable radial shaft play. Only, I cannot remember ever having used a shifter on those motors.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Prior to the X115 lowers
    were the V4 engines raced with stock lower units?

Thread Information