Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comp Jet, Dead or Alive?

e-PerformanceMarine.com ePerformanceMarine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Comp Jet, Dead or Alive?

Quote Originally Posted by terrytav
    I just informed SCSC that the comp jets could not field enough boats to race at Ming. I have not heard about puddingstone .but ross did verify that parker will be on April 16 & 17 th. I would like some contact info for the new racers. Please e-mail me at Terrytav@verizon.net.
    Comp Jet, is it dead ? It seems that the class can't make it to any races. They flaked on Havasu Landing. They decided that Brawley was too tight of a course to run at. Now at Ming, they say they don't have enough running boats to make a class, I heard a rumor that it only takes 4 boats to make a class. This is very hard to comprehend and it is starting to sound like a local club racing deal not a National Class. What about the guys in NC or St. Pete that might want to come out ? Being it on the sanction I am sure there might be a few boats that want to run for points. My feeling on this is just because your big bad engine is not ready, put your lower HP back-up motor in. No shame in showing up and racing. I also heard it said that it is a better idea to show up with a full field of boats than show-up with just only 4 boats to field the class. Well guys IMO it is better to show with something than nothing at all. Kind of like making it to the Super Bowl and not showing because you know you will get your *** kicked. How many other classes have only the minimum amount of boats to make a legal race ? This is racing anything can happen. IMO, the Compitition Jet Class is dying once again !

Ming APBA Approved Sanction;
    http://www.apba-racing.com/internal/...p?EditID=10672
    Jim & Amanda Rich
    CJ 72 & 53c

JR Performance Motorsports

Jet Drive Service & Repair

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Me thinks of long beach???

Tighter than that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ePerformanceMarine View Post
    Comp Jet, is it dead ? It seems that the class can't make it to any races. They flaked on Havasu Landing. They decided that Brawley was too tight of a course to run at. Now at Ming, they say they don't have enough running boats to make a class, I heard a rumor that it only takes 4 boats to make a class. This is very hard to comprehend and it is starting to sound like a local club racing deal not a National Class. What about the guys in NC or St. Pete that might want to come out ? Being it on the sanction I am sure there might be a few boats that want to run for points. My feeling on this is just because your big bad engine is not ready, put your lower HP back-up motor in. No shame in showing up and racing. I also heard it said that it is a better idea to show up with a full field of boats than show-up with just only 4 boats to field the class. Well guys IMO it is better to show with something than nothing at all. Kind of like making it to the Super Bowl and not showing because you know you will get your *** kicked. How many other classes have only the minimum amount of boats to make a legal race ? This is racing anything can happen. IMO, the Compitition Jet Class is dying once again !

Ming APBA Approved Sanction;
    http://www.apba-racing.com/internal/...p?EditID=10672

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rule changes

Looks like the CJ class has shot it's self in the foot with their new rules. Requiring full stringers and stringer mounted seats has eliminated most, if not all, of the possible new additions to the class. This class was resurrected using basic "river toys", and now those very boats have been pushed out with rule changes. In the interest of SAFETY, ?? What?... Were there any issues involving 1/4 stringer boats? Any floor mounted seats create any problems? Seems this class is dead already, murdered by "certain" wannabe racers throwing a tizzy fit about the boats being raced at races they chose not to attend.....I say repeal the "stringer" rule and let the river toys back in. Sure, check the floor for rot, but a floor mounted seat should not prevent a boat from competition.....I'm sure the IE reps feel pretty silly after fighting so hard to get the class back into APBA national competition.....To CJ racers, if you don't want to race, fine, but don't crap on the the rest that do....Repeal the stringer rule, NOW......Even if it means filling the class with inferior performing river toys..Any class at all is better than no one showing up......Ray

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ray, you know the rules and you know the procedures on to how to protest rules properly in the chains of the APBA. If you don't like the rule, protest it. Bringing up such topics in internet forums only stir up drama from keyboard jockeys who should have no say in the class because they don't compete in it and have no intention to compete in it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

River Toys? Hmm, I wasn't aware that 90MPH+ boats constitute "river toys" Maybe you're confusing Comp Jet with Nostalgia Jet. As for the rules, if you don't like them, build a competitive CJ boat, race it and do what is needed to repeal the rule. Until then you're just talking out the side of your neck.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CJ class

Quote Originally Posted by Brad @ SCJB View Post
    Ray, you know the rules and you know the procedures on to how to protest rules properly in the chains of the APBA. If you don't like the rule, protest it. Bringing up such topics in internet forums only stir up drama from keyboard jockeys who should have no say in the class because they don't compete in it and have no intention to compete in it.
    Brad, you have no idea about my intentions. I could have personally fielded 4 boats for CJ at Puddingstone if it wasn't for the BS rule change. I hate to see the class die again after all the hard work that was done to bring it back. To kill it off because some people were un happy about how a class was filled is wrong. Rules made for political reasons should be repealed before the class is declared DOA......

Quote Originally Posted by Luckie Stiff View Post
    River Toys? Hmm, I wasn't aware that 90MPH+ boats constitute "river toys" Maybe you're confusing Comp Jet with Nostalgia Jet. As for the rules, if you don't like them, build a competitive CJ boat, race it and do what is needed to repeal the rule. Until then you're just talking out the side of your neck.
    Luckie, I talk very little out the side of my neck. If it were to build ANOTHER competitive race boat it wouldn't be a jet. I could however, personally field a 4 boat class in CJ if it weren't for this rule change. When APBA allowed CJ back into the National standings their decision was based on existing competitors at that time. Those boats, or at least some of those boats, were 1/4 stringer boats. APBA had zero issues with 1/4 stringer boats. Only after some one whined about classes being filled with less than "full out race boats", was the rule changed to "prevent any one from racing unless everyone raced"....It really is quite simple, either CJ attends races, or the class dies. Repealing the rule NOW might save the class by allowing new/different people that are enthusiastic about racing, to RACE in CJ with their existing equipment. (Just like the class was started up again, with river toys) What is the REAL reason for not wanting these boats to race in CJ? Could it be points? Could it be sour grapes by those unable to race CJ because of the economy?...I'm still waiting for an example of a 1/4 stringer boat failing, or a seat breaking out of a decent floor mount.........And YES, I know how the rule changes are made, (after 20+ years I should know), just not sure how, or WHY, these new rules were implemented in mid season??? .......

So, back to the original question, is Comp Jet a dead class? Who is planning on racing CJ at Parker? Burley? Long Beach?......Or will all the jets be relegated back to a regional class, losing National recognition? If I were a CJ racer I sure would welcome anyone, racing in anything, in an effort to save the class...............Ray

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ray, I get that the CJ class is in dismal shape, actually dismal is being kind, the 1/4 stringer/no bolting seats to the floor rule came about after a filler boat spun in Parker, seat came loose, driver got tossed, knocked him out, sent him to the hospital. The CJ committee recognized the obvious safety issue and ruled to resolve it. I personally would not drive a 650+ HP boat @ 90MPH in race conditions without the seat being rigidly tied into the support structure of the boat.

I'm no fan of filler boats being in any class. If it's a racing class, then it should be a competitve race boat. If the guys with river toys want to race, then they can step right into the Nostalgia classes with little to no modifications needed.

I can tell you this, I know the people you refer to in your posts, there is bad blood between them that will never go away, I don't know, nor do I care, why. I can assure you this, the rule change was made in the interest of SAFETY, if you believe otherwise then you're just plain wrong. The committee is made up of

Terry Valore
    Ralph Brunt
    Ted Kolby

Are you saying that these 3 men conspired against all the other racers in the class simply because a "wannabe" racer asked them to?

I offered your boy a full stringer, ready to rig and race Bahner, I didn't hear back from him so I cut the intake out of it and sent it to the dump.

On that note, I say this, if you have a dog in the fight, keep on pushing the rules committee for a repeal, I'm with you in that I miss the CJ racing, but I don't miss 50 MPH daycruisers doing laps, if I want to watch boring racing, I'll stay home and watch Nascar.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boats is boats......

Quote Originally Posted by Luckie Stiff View Post
    I'm with you in that I miss the CJ racing, but I don't miss 50 MPH daycruisers doing laps, if I want to watch boring racing, I'll stay home and watch Nascar.

Hey if 4 "daycruisers" mount CJ numbers it is a class......If they all run 50 it would be the tightest race of the day!!!! I'm sure the three you mentioned would reconsider the "absoluteness" of the rule if it meant the class could continue until the economy turns around. APBA is not going to consider the economy when it looks at the number of boats making races......Are the CJ non racers registered with APBA this year? If boat count, registered with APBA, falls below a certain point the class is declared dead. It almost happened to the Ks because of the capsule rule. It took a bunch of good people a lot of their time to convince APBA to repeal the Capsule rule in an effort to save the class.

None of the APBA classes have "minimum" speed requirements, so if 50 is all they can do, let them race. After the 90 MPH boats come back, (IF they come back), the 50 MPH boats will either have to step down, or step up...........Ray

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Again, if you have a problem with the rule, protest it. why whine about it on the internet? its going to get you no where.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

oh yeah....one last thing.....

Dyin's not an option. Now you stick that back in that gray matter of yours and you make that stick.

Theres a tentitive boat count of 10 COMPETITION JET boats for parker.

Thread Information