Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Legends of Boat Racing Reunion

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    I'm sorry Karen...but I don't have a clue who Gretchen Wilson is. Not to say that your idea is off track, but I'm probably one of the few who hasn't ever watched a reality show, or for that matter any network TV shows since 1988. The Minneapolis racers got Bobby Riggs to show up for the Nationals at Winona in 1976 to challenge ......aaagggh--can't remember her name---the tennis champ---the "Snap On" girl.. to a boat race challenge. He showed up....she didn't. But it was great press. So I would say it's worth a try.
    Wayne,

I remember Bobby Riggs in '75 at Winona as he wanted to challenge me to a race for $$$. The conversation was after the awards presentation. Hey, he was old and grey and played tennis with Billie Jean King on prime time TV. What a guy!!!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Lee...the lady was Billy Jean King. I never heard of Bobby Riggs until he promoted himself as a challenger to Billie Jean King, and had some notoriety after that. That was the reason he came to Winona. He was still well known at that time.

BTW Lee....I finally got everything fixed on the computer...so check out Paul Simison's thread on the Old Phart's convention for the next week or so.

Post Thanks / Like

So...we have had a little correspondence between some of the organizers, and we will need some input from you. There are some ideas we are kicking around, and one is a very nice coffee table type of book. Without having a firm page count, the number of photos, etc., Tim is estimating a price of around $25. How many of you would be interested in such a book? And, if we do it, we would need you to help gather info for us that we may not have on certain drivers in the way of bio's and photo's. Between Tim and myself we have a lot of stuff, but there will still be lots of gaps. There are a number of racers that have passed on, and a lot that don't do computers, so we would also need help from BRF members to forward stuff from others that we can't get ourselves. What do you guys think?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reunion Booklet

Wayne,
    Count me in for at least one if not two books, one for me and one for my twin in Calfiornia if I can get him back on a plane. Alan and my wife are both scared too death of getting on plane, but with a 50th we could probably get him. I need some Mothers Cookies anyway!

Jean Tennell has already commented that she would be in on helping us with the postcards for drivers. I am sure we can comb through some of your pictures and get them to her for her pursusing.

We could get the books set up so that we could do interviews and signings for the fans as well up by the shelter as well as down by the legion.

Jean if you catch this, can post a card for one or two of our USTS drivers up on this site?

Thanks for your efforts Wayne!

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Default Count me in...........

I am really excited about this. You can count on me for at least 2 books..........and I will drive to California to pick up Mr. Ishii if he has problems with airplanes. I'm still working on him for Lake Alfred this fall. Whatever I can do, Wayne, consider it done................
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Ray:

Alan can take a road trip east with Lauren and I.

Joe

PS I am in for a book.

Quote Originally Posted by ferv888ipba View Post
    Wayne,
    Count me in for at least one if not two books, one for me and one for my twin in Calfiornia if I can get him back on a plane. Alan and my wife are both scared too death of getting on plane, but with a 50th we could probably get him. I need some Mothers Cookies anyway!

Jean Tennell has already commented that she would be in on helping us with the postcards for drivers. I am sure we can comb through some of your pictures and get them to her for her pursusing.

We could get the books set up so that we could do interviews and signings for the fans as well up by the shelter as well as down by the legion.

Jean if you catch this, can post a card for one or two of our USTS drivers up on this site?

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you asked about the cost Karen. I wasn't clear on that. For such small quantities it is very expensive for a book of the calibre we are talking about. We want it to look nice, and not have the pages fall out. I'm not sure of the quantity Tim his thinking right now, but several months ago he was talking a 100 or a little more. That's why we want to find out how much interest there may be. Frankly, I can't see where it could be done at $25.00, but Tim has been in the business all his life. I'm sure that he would provide such excellent camera ready layouts to cut a lot of the publishers work out, that he could negotiate it down. That price does not include any of our time. Until we get a better handle on what the demand might be, and the numbers of books we will only be able to ballpark the sales price, but we just need to cover our expenses. As Ron said, you can't get rich selling books about boat racing. I would not spend the time on it except for the fact that a lot of this history will be lost if there is not a record. All the great pictures and stories here on BRF are fantastic, and I bet a more comprehensive history does not exist anywhere else on this earth. But what if something wiped it out? I wish I could get a complete DVD of a number of separate threads here on BRF for my personal boat racing library, but I don't know if that's possible. Anyway....thanks for the heads up.

Those are some other ideas to think about too Karen, and Ray's thoughts of getting Jean involved as well as his interviewing people. There could be a lot of fans that may want to buy stuff. But, we need volunteers to do that other stuff. My hands will be full because in addition to working with Tim on the book, I plan to donate two binders with copies of all my autographed pictures for the auction. I don't like to turn photo albums sideways and up while I'm flipping through the pages so one binder is horizontal and is mostly boats under way, with some groups of people. The other is vertical with mostly head shots, but some pit shots of boats. It would probably be best to auction them separately. It's not the ink and paper it will cost that I am dreading, but the time it will take. All the pictures I had scanned for my autograph thread up until January are gone because of the computer crash, so I have to start over.

There are some good ideas, so now we need more input....and volunteers.

Team Switzercraft TomAprilsSwitzers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile What Racers are included?

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    I'm glad you asked about the cost Karen. I wasn't clear on that. For such small quantities it is very expensive for a book of the calibre we are talking about. We want it to look nice, and not have the pages fall out. I'm not sure of the quantity Tim his thinking right now, but several months ago he was talking a 100 or a little more. That's why we want to find out how much interest there may be. Frankly, I can't see where it could be done at $25.00, but Tim has been in the business all his life. I'm sure that he would provide such excellent camera ready layouts to cut a lot of the publishers work out, that he could negotiate it down. That price does not include any of our time. Until we get a better handle on what the demand might be, and the numbers of books we will only be able to ballpark the sales price, but we just need to cover our expenses. As Ron said, you can't get rich selling books about boat racing. I would not spend the time on it except for the fact that a lot of this history will be lost if there is not a record. All the great pictures and stories here on BRF are fantastic, and I bet a more comprehensive history does not exist anywhere else on this earth. But what if something wiped it out? I wish I could get a complete DVD of a number of separate threads here on BRF for my personal boat racing library, but I don't know if that's possible. Anyway....thanks for the heads up.

Those are some other ideas to think about too Karen, and Ray's thoughts of getting Jean involved as well as his interviewing people. There could be a lot of fans that may want to buy stuff. But, we need volunteers to do that other stuff. My hands will be full because in addition to working with Tim on the book, I plan to donate two binders with copies of all my autographed pictures for the auction. I don't like to turn photo albums sideways and up while I'm flipping through the pages so one binder is horizontal and is mostly boats under way, with some groups of people. The other is vertical with mostly head shots, but some pit shots of boats. It would probably be best to auction them separately. It's not the ink and paper it will cost that I am dreading, but the time it will take. All the pictures I had scanned for my autograph thread up until January are gone because of the computer crash, so I have to start over.

There are some good ideas, so now we need more input....and volunteers.
    Are you guys looking for some old OPC (Outboard Pleasure Craft) racers for this reunion? The Switzer Regatta usually has a few of them show up. Last couple of years Jim Smith, Bob Switzer, Jack Lewis, Harold Simbarger & Kenny Kitson, & a few others have been there.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ferv888ipba View Post
    Wayne,

Ray
    Somehow I have overlooked this tread. Count me in! I still plan on being alive and kicking then.

I too want a book and agree Tim is the perfect choice to produce it.

Ray, it's hard to believe our oriental buddy with cajones as big as basketballs is afraid to fly! He has another reason to be there, he has a little semi-round eye "cousin" living just 70 miles from DePue that he has not yet seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Daughter, Jessica Bodas, Photographs Weddings

http://photographybyjessicab.blogspo...1_archive.html

When Bunker and Annette got married Jessica made a book about their wedding. She may have made a beautiful book.

I will ask her what she can make a book for???

Woud you want a book made FROM the reunion?? Or before???

Thread Information