Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Elsinore 500

Post Thanks / Like

I love the top picture of the #74 Glastron inboard. There are many pictures of it from the side ... this overhead tells a lot more about it.

Do you know who the driver is in this shot? Is it Pruitt?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Boat 170 kind of looks like four engines, but it is two GT-115 AKA "FAT FOURS" as I called them until I raced Evinrudes...

Boat 170 is Style Craft Cat..

Here is Speed Marine's Elsinore 500 boat...Maybe Todd Fitschen can tell us will tell us who is driving.
    This picture is from the 1965 Parker Enduro, and the boat was a Louie Unser Ford powered Mandella, Owned by Barry Berkus, and Driven By Berkus, Barry Bollman, Jerry Lembke, and Steve Ribeau.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Elsinore 500 1968-1971

Not sure who most of these people are, expect I do know Bobby, Al and Louie Unser....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Elsinore 500: Outboards

The late Bobby Massey in the Wing, Bill Petty from Ohio in the ALUMINUM twin...and I don't know who is the T-188 WOODEN SWITZWER.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ron Hill View Post
    not Sure Who Most Of These People Are, Expect I Do Know Bobby, Al And Louie Unser....
    I Have The Programs From The Races, And I Looked Up These Boats

The 94 Boat Is Mickey Thompson And Gary Campbell, In A Carlson With 2 427 Fords Taken At The Salton Sea 500

The 170 Boat Is Gary Bush And Tom Black From Tustin, Ca.

The 50 Boat Is Skip Volk

And The (1)35 Boat Is Dave Kaecker From Phoenix

The Picture Of The Unser Brothers Was Taken At The Ontario Speedway, Two Weeks Before The Race To Help Promote The Elsinore 500 Plus The Multile Sclerosis Society, The Disease That Unfortunatelly Claimed Loiue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tfitschen View Post
    I Have The Programs From The Races, And I Looked Up These Boats

The 94 Boat Is Mickey Thompson And Gary Campbell, In A Carlson With 2 427 Fords Taken At The Salton Sea 500

The 170 Boat Is Gary Bush And Tom Black From Tustin, Ca.

The 50 Boat Is Skip Volk

And The (1)35 Boat Is Dave Kaecker From Phoenix

The Pictur Of The Unser Brothers Was Taken At The Ontario Speedway, Two Weeks Before The Race To Help Promote The Elsinore 500 Plus The Multile Sclerosis Society, The Disease That Unfortunatelly Claimed Loiue.
    The explanation of the 94 boat and the driver explains why anyone in their right mind would stick two 1,000 blocks of iron in a small boat like that,. Must have passed everything but the gas station!

I just saw Mickey's Challenger with the two sets of Pontiac 421 welded together to make V-16's. I think he set a 300 some odd mph gas powered speed record with that car and was always the inovator with lots of engines in anything he built.....Glad they finally caught the guys that gunned he and his wife down.
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

Default Todd, You Did Well....

Now, who is 30, 38, 4 and SS35???

They seem to ring a bell, but!!!!

ADD:

Louie Unser was one of the nicest guys I ever met. He never let his disease hold him back, he found it until the end. He always had a smile on his face and a kind word for everyone!

Bud Gilbert learned a lot about engines from Louie. Bouncey learned from Bud....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

the First Elsinore 50 Was October 8, 1968. My Dad And Mom Owned 22 Acres On Rome Hill In Elsinore And All My Life, 0-16 The Lake Had Been Dry. After Graduating College, I Started Teaching In 1966. In The Fall Of 1966 I Drove For Outboard Marine Corp At Havasu And In 1967 I Won Havasu In The "t" Class.

But Omc Didn't Want To Race The Elsinore 500....yet! Here Is A Picture From The First "500"...kind Of Sets The Pace Of The Inboards Vs. The Outboards In Those Days!
    Boat 170 Is William Petty And Robert Leroy

The Inboard Is #47 I Think, Howard Mcgovern And Dick Freek

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

more Pictures....
    Boat #24 If This Is From Elsinore Is Don Hitchman And Donald Johnson.

If It Is From The Salton Sea 500, It Is Gilbert Suiter, Nolan Shabacker, And William Hegel

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

once The Outboards Became More Than Runner Ups, The Enduro Curcuit Changed, Forever. The Inboard Owners Were Not Going To Compete With "factory" Boats, So The Vic Edlebroc's, Peter Rothchild's And Such Went Ski Racing, Never To Really Return To Enduro Boat Racing.

As A Young Man, Driving Factory Boats And Wrecking Their Engines, Was Way Cool But 20:20 Hindsight, I See That Factory Racers Killed The Individual Racer.

Billy Don Pruitt Was Called A "mullet" By His Friends, But His Friends Liked Him. He Was A Man Of Men...pruitt Understood The Concept Of Winning!!!
    Boat #74 Was Called Glastron A Go-go Driven By Robert Hammond And Darrel Jenkins

Boat #30 Is Grier Rush

The Little Picture Is Don Pruitt In Boat #112 Who Won The 2nd Annual Lake Elsinore 500

Thread Information