Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 2 barrel 2 banger

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Carb size

[QUOTE=Mark75H;104695]Its because carbs work by vacuum. If your carb is too big, there will be no vacuum and no fuel mixed with all that air the large hole lets in.

That is what sets the practical limit on carb size.............................................. ............
    .................................................. .................................................. ............................
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............................
    Years ago, Lon Stevens told me his full house Mercs had the 3 side carbs (additional,)
    but they were set to open only after the main carbs were 90% open.So the motor did not bog down. Funny thing is that Rich Fushlin told me that they helped accelleration,but NOT top end ( ?). that seems strange to me .

Post Thanks / Like

Test time, went well. It was hard to start, I tried to get it to kick on trailer, pulled the plugs a couple times Then got it to go. Probably having to do with where throttle & choke wise it wants to be. In water at the same setting it kicked right up. I let it idle a few & ran it up slowly to look for flat or dead spots. That went well, its consistent there so right up on plane no problem [got my best starting prop on]. It seemed good so I took it out of the lagoon to open it up. Right up no problem, smooth & powerful like my best single barrel. The difference between going well & going great is its 70 rpm less than the single barrel test run. The only thing not exactly the same is today the water is calm, the previous test was ruff-r & its a bit faster in just the right ruff -like then. With that in mind I think its the same on top but a little better on the way up. The last thing I did was a hot run / shut down toward the ramp area & paddled in. When in I re-pulled the plugs, they were tan & dry. The single barrel usually leaves the plugs a little wet. Q' being should I mess with jets?.

Post Thanks / Like

Last time out it ran good enough for me to make up a spray shield.

Today I put about 20-25 miles on it, It's running very good & starting's easy now that I f ound it starts well throttle down & choke 1/2 closed. The performance is the same so far on top but mid range is better than the single barrel. The single had to run fat & wet to not bog down at low speed.

Ive been thinking about that flat 'wall' of reeds, I tried 2 stage Boyesens, they did nothing, Im thinking single stage or a new configuration next. From a failed opened reed experiment I know for sure if you can get the stiffness out of the plate reeds they will cook with fire till fail.

Thread Information