Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Big John Dortch............

Post Thanks / Like

Just got off the phone with Little John. John is having further surgery on his leg tomorrrow.

I'll keep you informed as Little John updates me.

Keep praying for John!

Post Thanks / Like

Thursday Feb 18 6:40 PM.

Little John just called. John's second surgery went well. John is in good spirits and is resting well.

The second surgery was needed to provide better tissue for sutures. The sutures from the original surgery were not holding.

Next Thursday, Norma has a followup visit with her surgeon 4 miles from John.

We plan to stop by for a short visit.

I invite all of you to join us in spirit. Since the Dortch family is not on the internet I'm inviting you to e-mail a greeting to John at my address: eastgene@yahoo.com

I will print them and hand deliver your message to "Big John".

Hope I have to buy more paper!!

If you would prefer to send a card by mail, John is in Room 622

Missouri Baptist Medical Center
    3015 N. Ballas Rd.
    St. Louis,Mo 63131
    Last edited by Gene East; 02-19-2010 at 06:11 AM. Reason: ommision

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi Johnny!

Well..............We only met once, it was around a campfire in Canandaigua, NY. I was sitting quietly, admiring the flames long after my buddies had gone to bed, just like most had already.

I knew of you, had read all about your racing carreer, but was just a shy kid that sat with you and didn't have much to say.....Kids in awe always seem to act that way.

It was my 2nd year racing, I was 17, I had an old 1958 DeSilva and a Speeditwin. You and your son had new white KR boats and screaming fast Konigs. We were pitted very close to each other, but never spoke......Kids in awe always seem to act that way.

I guess you had noticed the rookie driving the beat up old DeSilva during the past day, cause you were the one to finally break the ice, as you held out your hands to show me, you said: "See these scarred hands? They know Speeditwins and PRs too". We then spoke for quite awhile, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Through the years that followed, I never forgot the quiet time I sat around the campfire and shared stories with an icon of outboard boat racing.

Please get well soon Johnny........We all need to hear more of your stories!
    Last edited by Jeff Lytle; 02-19-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I Just got off the phone with John.

He told me today was one of the best days he's had recently. He was reading some of the cards he's received and I read some of the e-mails that have been sent for him.

He really seemed overjoyed by the words of encouragement he has received from his Racing Family.

I asked if he would like a cold Bud when I come see him Thursday. He said he would, but laughingly reminded me that he is in a Baptist hospital.

Guess that will have to wait.

Keep the cards and e-mails coming. John really enjoys them!

Post Thanks / Like

Take him some Becks NA Gene!

Speaking from experience, ( I have 1 "Real" beer a week cause' of my arthritis meds ) Becks NA is the best tasting non-alky beer going.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Wednesday afternoon 2/24/10. Just got home from visiting John at the hospital. We talked for awhile and he can't wait for summer and get to some races.

On the downside he will be in the hospital for quite some time before he begins therapy and he has now had his third surgery on his right leg and this time the leg was removed up near the top of his thigh. But on the upside he seems in very good spirits. You can send cards to him at:

John Dortch
    Room 622
    Missouri Baptist Hospital
    3015 N Ballas Rd.
    Saint Louis, MO 63131

Post Thanks / Like

Norma and I had an absolutely wonderful visit with John earlier this evening.

We talked about the past, we talked about the future. John is planning to be at Depue this summer.

We laughed together, we cried together and just had a great time. John's spirits are extremely high. He really appreciates the cards and prayers and he asked me to thank each of you for him.

I asked him if there was anything else he would like me to tell you.

He said , "Yeah; tell them, Watch out! I'm coming back and if you get in my way, I'll whack you with my crutch"!

Now that's the John Dortch we all know and love!

BTW: John has transferred to the rehab department. He is now in room 1457.

Post Thanks / Like

Latest update on John.

I talked to both Sr. and Jr. late this afternoon.

John's spirits are high, and the surgical site is healing.

Little John told me they expect to transfer to the rehab facility soon. John is still in Missouri Baptist Medical Center, room 1457 for a few more days.

Big John was talking about playing golf this summer on 1 leg.

If anyone can do it, I'd bet John Dortch can!

Keep praying and keep sending the cards and letters. John really enjoys them.

I was monitoring my e-mail while I was talking on the phone with John this afternoon and up popped a question about John from Joe Rome. I read the message to John.

He told me to tell Joe thanks for the card and that he(John) loves him (Joe). Then he said to thank ALL OF YOU and he loves each of you like family.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Family

Gene as you well know it is a family. Ihave never been any thing that we had as much fun and have the bond we have with one another. we are family.

Post Thanks / Like

Tuesday 3/9/10, just got back from a visit with John and he is looking and feeling great. He is moving out of the hospital and into a rehab center on Friday.

Thread Information