Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Big John Dortch............

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A great picture of John with a large TEXAS size trophy

Wayne Baldwin started a thread on BRF dated 4-2-2005 entitled "Lone Star Boat Racing Association". In post #30 is a great picture of John sitting on someone's trailer with a quite large "texas size" trophy he won, maybe high point for that race, or some sort of Texas Championship award. Would be great if Wayne or someone else could repost that photo on this thread, showing that great picture of John in his racing days.

Post Thanks / Like

Rex Hall has posted funeral information on Hydroracer.

1:00 to 3:00 Saturday at Bauman Funeral home in Overland.

That's all I know at this time

Post Thanks / Like

Default Picture of John

This is a good picture of John when he won High Point Trophy in Corpus Christi.I talked to him last week, everything was great. This proves that we never will know what tomorrow will bring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I talked to John several times when Liz was having problems, and in fact talked to Liz for awhile. She sent me her Lone Star Boat Racing Association windbreaker which I have hanging in the boat racing room. I was worried about John after Liz was gone and he had gotten into some serious health problems. I talked to him a couple of times after that, and he was in such good spirits, it was a surprise to end like this. But I like to think that Johnny is telling God about Baldy's BBQ.

ADD: I forgot to mention that the photo of Johhny was of him winning high point at a race in my Dad's front yard. They were such good friends. As Joe said today....Johhny would have loved to have been a Texan. He came and raced with us as often as he could. I remember one race he came into my room on the other side of the carport to listen to me play my guitar. He said he liked it. (can't do the rolleyes on the edit) Oh well. We will miss a legend.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got off the phone with John Jr. He has been going through his Dad's personal effects today.

He says he can hear Big John say, "Keep that! Throw that away!"

I still talk to my Dad even though he's been gone 42 years. I hope all of you can enjoy that same special bond.

John Sr. told me some time back there was a side by side .410 shotgun some where in the house that he couldn't find. I mentioned that to John Jr. tonight.

He said, "I found it! Dad gave me one just like it for my 12th birthday. Now I have a matched pair"!

Only someone who has known the joy of hunting with his Dad can understand how special this little gun is. Anti-gun fanatics will never receive an apology from any of us!

I grew up hunting with my Dad and I have hunted with Big John. I hold those memories dear.

John Jr. is doing well. He said as he goes through Big John's belongings it's both laughter and tears.

Little John (this is the last time I will call you that), your Dad has provided his many friends with much laughter over his lifetime and now we share your tears

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Gene. John loved to come hunt birds with my Dad. We always considered him an honorary Texan. And he wore his cowboy hat proudly. I had planned to post some photos and do a tribute to Ray Yates, then Johnny's death surprised us, I have some stuff to post about Johnny to give tribute to them both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Thanks for that Gene. John loved to come hunt birds with my Dad. We always considered him an honorary Texan. And he wore his cowboy hat proudly. I had planned to post some photos and do a tribute to Ray Yates, then Johnny's death surprised us, I have some stuff to post about Johnny to give tribute to them both.
    Wayne,

Don't you and/or Joe have enough clout in Austin to have John declared an "Honorary Texan"?

Post Thanks / Like

I said good bye to John today, for the last time.............ever. Gene, Rich, Rex, Alan, Jim, Barry, and others said good bye too. An iron man, a Champion, a sportsman, I'm proud that we called each other friends. Good Bye John...................

Post Thanks / Like

Quite a few boat racers were there, plus the carpenter's union was also well represented.

John was a member of the carpenter's union over 50 years. At one time he even served as president of the local.

Did you ever wonder how John could tear up a boat on Sunday and have it back on the water the following Saturday?

He was a woodworker all his adult life!!

I understand the Chief Referee at Lake Paradise is also a carpenter.

Barry Anderson and I each gave a brief eulogy at the services; and yes, we both choked up. As Tim said, we were saying goodby for the last time in this world.

Rest in peace my friend till we meet again!

Post Thanks / Like

Gene...I talked to Joe today to see if my memory served me correctly. He confirmed what I remembered. Joe said "We don't need no stinkin' govner to make Johnny a Texan!" Just like I thought, when Joe was Commodore of the Lone Star Boat Racing Association, we made Johnny Dortch an honorary Texan in 1974.

Thread Information