Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Butts Aerowing-The Only Way To Fly

Hybrid View

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Butts Aerowing-The Only Way To Fly

These photos are from the last test session I was at with Tim Butts. There are a number of people that are trying to track him down and I hope he does come aboard here at BRF. I miss not hanging out with him. He is a great friend.

I feel very fortunate to have been around Tim from the time he first got the alky drivers' attention with his innovative designs. I've got so many photos of Tim, I decided to scan them into his own personal file on my computer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 08-29-2021 at 04:49 PM.

Likes Powerabout liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Wayne........

A Member here contacted me earlier this week:

"Talked to Tim a few minutes ago and I am sending him the web site
    address. Look for him soon."

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Tim Butts Aerowing Hydros! Wow!

That is a Butts Aerowing Outrigger type hydro??? Wooooooo! I always wanted to see one of those, they are spoken of as being legendary! I still have one of his Aerowing Super C Stock hydros from the late 1970s to go with the Crescent Super C engine I have managed to piece together plus a Circa 1988 hydro that ran Formula E Modified. Maybe this is a nice start to honoring builder Tim Butts by putting out some more pictures to catalogue his designs constructed. This is very impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

Say John........check this out, a pic of the "Windwalker" in action:

Butts Windwalker

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default More Butts Aerowings - Different Vintages In Manitoba And In Alberta

Here is an assortment of Butts Aerowings from the late 1970s in Calgary, Alberta where I got my first one tried a Merc 55H was tried on it (talk of under powered) to the local ones around this area of a similar vintage design to the circa 1988 version. They had their following.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Another Aerowing Circa Version 1988

A 1988 Butts Aerowing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    I've got so many photos of Tim, I decided to scan them into his own personal file on my computer.

So..............Whatcha' waiting for?? ??

POST EM!!!!! (Pretty please)
    Likes ester liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Tim Butts 1977 prototype

I sure would like to talk again to Tim, he left Michigan when we got the Butts/areowing drag boat running. I know you circle boaters are not interested in drag's back then but this is more about one of the winningest boats from 78-85 and it was on a Butts hydro. It measured out from the tip of the sponson to the after plane 14' 11". The engine was a first year V-6 Evinrude 1976 200hp on a racing V-4 midsection and gearcase. One year later Evinrude people (Tom Ireland) saved me the last of 50 factory new racing CCC engines. Tim I wish to say your a man of your word, you built one of the safest boats one would ever drive at that speed. Your boat won a total of 38 of 44 events entered. It beat Ron Jones hydro's and several others during those years. From VA to CA the aerowing was the boat to beat. I have some pictures if your intersted later I could share with you. I hope you guy's get Tim back to look at what your running, he would make suggestions that could only help you to strive and achieve your goals of safety and speed. Take care.

Pat Golba

Post Thanks / Like

Pat, we'd be very interested in seeing pictures and hearing more about it

Your detail about the CCC was interesting as well; coincidentially I just finished scanning the CCC parts list/owner's manual
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Roy Alexander

Good Evening,

Jeff & Bryan,
    The boat I remember was all wood finish. Little, if any, and a duct tape X for a number. There was a BUTT'S emblem on each side near the transom. VERY VERY FAST. It may have been Roy Alexander.

Jeff,
    Bryan and I were re-living the glory days of C Service Runabout last month at Lake Placid Florida. Carelton Place was a hot bed for C service Runabouts for a long time. We were trying to remember the drivers in that era. Stan McDonald, the Wellans, the Hagmans, Les St. Pierre, and that CZ-1 DeSilva of yours. There were more, but Brian and I are getting old and the memory is fading. Will we ever see the CZ-1 make a comeback? That was an awesome class!

RussW

Thread Information