Page 1 of 22 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Butts Aerowing-The Only Way To Fly

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Butts Aerowing-The Only Way To Fly

These photos are from the last test session I was at with Tim Butts. There are a number of people that are trying to track him down and I hope he does come aboard here at BRF. I miss not hanging out with him. He is a great friend.

I feel very fortunate to have been around Tim from the time he first got the alky drivers' attention with his innovative designs. I've got so many photos of Tim, I decided to scan them into his own personal file on my computer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 08-29-2021 at 04:49 PM.

Likes Powerabout liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Wayne........

A Member here contacted me earlier this week:

"Talked to Tim a few minutes ago and I am sending him the web site
    address. Look for him soon."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    I've got so many photos of Tim, I decided to scan them into his own personal file on my computer.

So..............Whatcha' waiting for?? ??

POST EM!!!!! (Pretty please)
    Likes ester liked this post

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Tim Butts Aerowing Hydros! Wow!

That is a Butts Aerowing Outrigger type hydro??? Wooooooo! I always wanted to see one of those, they are spoken of as being legendary! I still have one of his Aerowing Super C Stock hydros from the late 1970s to go with the Crescent Super C engine I have managed to piece together plus a Circa 1988 hydro that ran Formula E Modified. Maybe this is a nice start to honoring builder Tim Butts by putting out some more pictures to catalogue his designs constructed. This is very impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

Say John........check this out, a pic of the "Windwalker" in action:

Butts Windwalker

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default More Butts Aerowings - Different Vintages In Manitoba And In Alberta

Here is an assortment of Butts Aerowings from the late 1970s in Calgary, Alberta where I got my first one tried a Merc 55H was tried on it (talk of under powered) to the local ones around this area of a similar vintage design to the circa 1988 version. They had their following.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Another Aerowing Circa Version 1988

A 1988 Butts Aerowing.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default First Time Running A Merc D-mod-44 On A Super C Butts Aerowing Circa 1980

I was so happy with the ride in the Aerowing (circa 1980) and it was so hazy and hot out there, I just jumped outa the raceboat to get real cool real quick afterward. That was the first time I ever ran an early Mercury 44 cube Modified on her with a 4 pipe Quincy Stack set. Would you believe the local bylaw patrol enforcement was in action given me the gears not 15 minutes after having a run. Those weekend sailors at the yacht club across the river were not exactly amused with the noise! LOL!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a great shot John. I bet that sound rippled for miles around.

I'm guessing that the Windwalker in the photo is one and the same of the one from that testing session. I took those photos in May or June 1981. I will start posting some more photos of Tim's boats Jeff. It takes me about 1/2 hour per set of 5. Been looking at some scanners that will do multiples. I have shots of some of the different designs he went through, and a few from his shop in Romeo, Michigan and in Stafford, Texas. I don't have anything but Alky stuff though. The stock and mod guys will have to provide photos of those boats.

I need to find out from Eddie or Keith Brown whatever happened to my old boat "Hookin' Bull". That was the first C-D-F hydro he ever built. After we retired it we had it down below in my Dad's bar for awhile, then Jack Chance took it to his house. It was a very unique boat. Very successful for the first one.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default That engine was a bit of a bigger test for me than you can imagine in more ways than

The thing about that early Merc Gas Modified 44 cuber with the 4 pipes on the Super C Butts Aerowing was that it the engine in that picture was the first time it was run again (the Merc 44) since 1971 when I took her for a horrendous multi flip end over end cartwheel(s) session on of all things, A Swift Big D Hydro. It was mothballed that long! Because the Swift was totally shattered and when I repaired it, there was no way I was prepared to do that all over again even though I had run an Anzani A and continued to run C and D Stock hydros and Runabouts at that point in time, there is something that scared the beheeejezus outa me about that engine on any boat beginning with that Swift Big D. Obviously the Butts Aerowing Super C had no problem, that is why I was smiling and not bleedding all over myself from small plywood cuts like I did back in 1971!

Thread Information