Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Butts Aerowing-The Only Way To Fly

David_L6

Quote Originally Posted by marchettih2o View Post
    Hey,,,I gotta run, but I found these old files of the bottom. I will try to get some recent photos showing a close up of each sponson. But you can see the difference between the two...wider on the right side...I was in the process of refinishing the boat...gg
    I saw a boat with a bottom like that under construction at Tim's shop in about '85. I don't remember what the sponsons looked like.

One of my boats ended up with sponsons very similar to that. Tim added on to the regular sponsons that he built the boat with to try to help me get out of the turns quicker. It worked. When I sold the boat it was running very well. Almost as well as anything else out there. In real rough water it was better than most other boats. However, in normal race water I could get around the course quicker with my B&H hydro. As much as I liked the Aerowing I had to go with the boat that gave me the quickest lap times so I sold it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hallo....wayne..... giuseppe. speek me...yuo version,.... to history. in the dayton world.. giuseppe version is copy you version.....giuseppe remember your boat not super fast........... is super super fast.. same space shuttle......
    by by alessandro to boretto italy
    sorry for my english.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Greetings Allesandro. The boat was very fast, but difficult to drive after Tim added the pads to the sponson. The motor was a new one that Dieter brought over with the latest updates, but I could not handle it in the turns while qualifying. I finished just outside the top five, and was on the bubble if one of the U.S. team scratched.

When we loaned our boat to Giuseppe, he put on a three blade Rolla cleaver prop. It was the first time we ever saw one in person. It was the most dramatic change in handling of a boat I ever saw. Giuseppe did a remarkable job of driving it for the first time he ever sat in the cockpit. I will tell more of this later, with pictures. I have to leave right now.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

are is november 2011 but this boat.. live... and sleep in the boretto ...after 26 years this boat is in the life...

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have pictures?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

no i no have photo.... but in the max 10 day i go. to sevice photografic... hi ihi and after i send.... in the forum...

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 56058Attachment 56059Just found these pics on S+F from a member there. His username is "Intagator", his name is Gary, and he worked for Tim when he was building in the Houston area.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see anything Jeff. It says invalid attachment. Gary was there at the time Tim built the Windwalker. Hope you can make these pics work.

Post Thanks / Like

Yahhh! I know, I was at work and in a hurry!

Post Thanks / Like

If you look at the 2nd pic, you'll see all the cool stuff Tim way trying to improve the hull:
    -Aluminum airtraps, note they have been trimmed between the front and rear sponsons.
    -Rear turning fin bracket.......We all know if he had continued designing and racing his boats, he too would have come up with either the multiple fin setups we see today on the heavier capsule boats, or the canted angled fins all hydros use today.... it was just a matter of time.
    -Under the Champion sticker on the sponson is a black (metal?) plate that has been bolted or screwed to extend the sponson edge aft. (Don't be confused by the thing that looks like it's attached to the plate--It's the front stand--Look at the wat the rear stand is built and you'll see)
    -You'll also see another black plate on the bottom of the boat in front of the aluminum airtrap.....hmmmmm?
    -The quest for the last mile per hour.......plexi cowling for his left throttle hand.
    -Zak type air induction box.
    -Lifting rails (Yeah RIGHT!) on the underside of the rear sponsons.
    AMAZING!!
    buttsoutriggerfront1985_zpsc66ec773.jpg
    buttsoutrigger_zps7a5d665e.jpg

Thread Information